Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do you remove an Interior sliding cavity door

I have a door to my laundry room that recedes in to the wall cavity.
It is hangs from two brackets that have wheels attached and slide on
a rail. One of the brackets is loose and the door no longer slides. I
con'y figure out how to get it off the rails and out of the frame with
out removing the molding. Any one know if this is the right approach?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Maybe try lifting it out of the bracket that runs across the top?

--
"God has a plan for me. I don't know what that is, and I'm
not leaving until I find out."

BetsyB

"lilfella" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a door to my laundry room that recedes in to the wall cavity.
It is hangs from two brackets that have wheels attached and slide on
a rail. One of the brackets is loose and the door no longer slides. I
con'y figure out how to get it off the rails and out of the frame with
out removing the molding. Any one know if this is the right approach?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 29, 3:27 pm, "betsyb" wrote:
Maybe try lifting it out of the bracket that runs across the top?

--

There is not enough clearence to lift it off the rails and then
remove it bottom first

Posted to alt.home.repair

"lilfella" wrote

On Apr 29, 3:27 pm, "betsyb" wrote:
Maybe try lifting it out of the bracket that runs across the top?

Try googling How to fix pocket door if no one here can
help you out.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 29 Apr 2007 12:33:41 -0700, lilfella wrote:

On Apr 29, 3:27 pm, "betsyb" wrote:
Maybe try lifting it out of the bracket that runs across the top?

--

There is not enough clearence to lift it off the rails and then
remove it bottom first

Some have accessible screws to control the lift required to make the
door lift out. On those you just mis-adjust until you can lift it
ouit.

On MANY others, the facing must come OFF first.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Try googling How to fix pocket door if no one here can
help you out.

nancy

Thanks, I wondered what their familiar name was

Posted to alt.home.repair

"lilfella" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a door to my laundry room that recedes in to the wall cavity.
It is hangs from two brackets that have wheels attached and slide on
a rail. One of the brackets is loose and the door no longer slides. I
con'y figure out how to get it off the rails and out of the frame with
out removing the molding. Any one know if this is the right approach?

The pocket door should be smaller than the doorway opening without the stops
installed. See he

http://daveosborne.com/newsletters/i...tdoorstops.jpg

The stops prevent the door from swinging when the door is closed. Pry out
the stops carefully, then you should be able to tilt the door into one room,
lift it off the track, and down out of the doorway.

.... of course, depending on your door, you may be able to adjust it in
place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

lilfella wrote:
I have a door to my laundry room that recedes in to the wall cavity.
It is hangs from two brackets that have wheels attached and slide
on a rail. One of the brackets is loose and the door no longer
slides. I con'y figure out how to get it off the rails and out of
the frame with out removing the molding. Any one know if this is
the right approach?

Yes. Remove molding. Normally, just on one side is all that is
needed.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

lilfella wrote:

I have a door to my laundry room that recedes in to the wall cavity.
It is hangs from two brackets that have wheels attached and slide on
a rail. One of the brackets is loose and the door no longer slides. I
con'y figure out how to get it off the rails and out of the frame with
out removing the molding. Any one know if this is the right approach?

Those are called "pocket doors", and boy need the asme advice and
aven't found anything.

I was told that 6 8 10 years ago "Ask This Old House" did a story on
pocket door repair, but I've never
been able to find a copy of that isode.
Posted to alt.home.repair

lilfella wrote in news:1177873590.272459.248430
@l77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

I have a door to my laundry room that recedes in to the wall cavity.
It is hangs from two brackets that have wheels attached and slide on
a rail. One of the brackets is loose and the door no longer slides. I
con'y figure out how to get it off the rails and out of the frame with
out removing the molding. Any one know if this is the right approach?

I've repaired two of these pocket doors recently.

Examine the carriage at the top of the door. It is likely two pieces,
with one part screwed to the top of the door and the other with wheels
riding in the rail. Here's an example: http://www.amazon.com/111PD-
HANGER-19mm-dia-WHEELS/dp/B0006FLJHM/ref=sr_1_14/103-3566072-2228610?
ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1177953212&sr=1-14

The part on the top of the door has a peg that fits into a hole in the
upper part, then is secured by a sliding plate. Most likely, the sliding
plate has slid back to the "disengaged" position, allowing the parts to
separate.

The fix is to jiggle the door until the post slides into the hole, then
levering the plate back into position.

1) Use a small lever on the floor to move the door up and down with your
foot. Two small pieces of wood will do.

2) Use whatever screwdrivers will fit to position the carriage over the
pin.

3) Press up HARD with the lever to get the pin to seat.

4) Use the screwdriver to move the plate into position. Try not to
scratch the door. This is the hardest part, because the plate fits
tightly.

This will go easier with two people, one person with three hands would
be better.