DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Strange water heater sediment (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/199219-strange-water-heater-sediment.html)

[email protected] April 28th 07 04:57 PM

Strange water heater sediment

I drained the gas water heater and in addition to the regular sediment
there were some clear, slighly-white gel-like blobs. Anyone know what
the heck that is?

Mike

Speedy Jim April 28th 07 06:12 PM

wrote:

I drained the gas water heater and in addition to the regular sediment
there were some clear, slighly-white gel-like blobs. Anyone know what
the heck that is?

Mike

It's normal. I'm not a chemist but it's
formed from the calcium in the water.
I think one of the heater mfr had an
explanation in their FAQ.

Jim

dpb April 28th 07 06:56 PM

On Apr 28, 12:12 pm, Speedy Jim wrote:
wrote:
I drained the gas water heater and in addition to the regular sediment
there were some clear, slighly-white gel-like blobs. Anyone know what
the heck that is?

Mike

It's normal. I'm not a chemist but it's
formed from the calcium in the water.
I think one of the heater mfr had an
explanation in their FAQ.

I'd be interested in seeing that (but not enough so to go
search :) ). Never found anything other than the hard salts,
certainly nothing I'd call "gel-like".

Joe April 29th 07 04:52 AM

wrote:
I drained the gas water heater and in addition to the regular sediment
there were some clear, slighly-white gel-like blobs. Anyone know what
the heck that is?

Mike

Let me take a wild guess...its a hydrate of whatever metal the anode
tube is made of. HTH

Joe