Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Default In-house visit by a "Rainbow vacuum" salesperson

We had a visit by a saleswoman who was trying to sell us a $2,000
"Rainbow cleaning system". For just listening, we received a gift of
some bed sheet and also a "gift travel certificate" from a company
called "Certs, Inc". (which is a florida based travel gifts company
that does not make me very excited)

http://www.rainbowsystem.com/

What this thing is, it seems, is a 25k RPM impeller sitting on top of
a Lexan bowl filled with water. The impeller sucks air in, makes it
whirl in a way that it makes contact with water and sheds the dust and
other stuff into water.

There is no filter, like on conventional vacuums that trap particles
into a filter. Water acts as a filter.

The machine was supposedly "1.9 HP", however, when measured with my
Kill-A-Watt power meter, it registered only 850 watts consumed from
the wall outlet, so it could not be more than 1 HP. OK, we all know
that everyone is lying about HP these days. No biggie. If it was 1.9
HP, it would trip the breakers all the time.

As a side comment, what we have now is a Sears Kenmore upright vacuum
that is a real beast, it uses about 13 amps and has a HEPA filter.

Then the saleswoman proceeded to make various points, which I may not
remember all or in correct order, but I will mention a few.

1. Vacuum cleaners do not pick up sand from carpets/rugs, well.
No comment on my part.

2. After just 15 minutes of use, due to dust getting into the fine
mesh of the vacuum's filter, the "air flow" diminishes due to dust
blocking the little pores. So a vacuum cleaner is not usable.

This was a total lie, as was easy to demonstrate with my vacuum which
has its bag 2/3 full already. It still sucked well and produced a lot
of suction and air flow.

3. Vacuums blow dust around and increase amount of dust.

I cannot say that it is false, for sure, but the 2.3 full bag in our
vacuum attests that it traps at least some dust. Plus, it does have a
HEPA filter.

She did some acrobatics by taking out the HEPA filter, which had some
dust on the back, kind of mashed it in her hands a little and put
back, -- then when the vacuum turned on, a lot of dust was indeed
blown out.

4. Then there were some demonstrations that Rainbow would still pick
up dust after vacuuming with a Sears vacuum, which could possibly be
true but I think that she cheated a bit by going outside the area that
I actually vacuumed, a bit -- it is kind of hard to tell, I think so
but my spouse is not so sure.

5. She made some claims about infections that her system prevented,
which went somewhat over my head but overall I was not sure if it was
not complete bunk.

We did not purchase this system in the end, but I wanted to hear some
opinions on this stuff.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Ignoramus32056 wrote:
[...]

I sold them briefly over 25 years ago. they are a good product that is
overpriced with a scam of a marketing system. I starved for a few weeks
then got a job

Lessee.

I want to talk to you today about air pollution, not outdoor air
pollution, but indoor air pollution......
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Apr 27, 9:45 am, yourname wrote:
Ignoramus32056 wrote:
[...]

"Our youngest son tried selling them years ago as his first sales job.
Learned a lot! Had to sell a minimum of 5 a month, I think, in order
to get any commission. He sold 4, including one to his Grandparents.
He practiced his sales pitch on us, but we didn't buy. Yes, they work
and work really well, but hauling the bowl of black water to the
toilet at the end of a job didn't strike me as very desirable. He quit
after 4 sales, having learned same valuable lessons, particularly how
scams work.

By the way, the Grandparents let theirs set for months with water
still in it and next time they went to use it, the motor was rusted
tight. There, some actual metal content!

Paul

We did not purchase this system in the end, but I wanted to hear some
opinions on this stuff.

I sold them briefly over 25 years ago. they are a good product that is
overpriced with a scam of a marketing system. I starved for a few weeks
then got a job

Lessee.

I want to talk to you today about air pollution, not outdoor air
pollution, but indoor air pollution......

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dunno, I guess some folks like them, or maybe ya just gotta justify
taking out a second mortgage to buy a vacuum...

http://www.epinions.com/content_343658958468

--

If you drink, don't drive. Don't even putt.

....Dean Martin

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 14:53:20 -0800, Steve wrote:

Dunno, I guess some folks like them, or maybe ya just gotta justify
taking out a second mortgage to buy a vacuum...

I vacuum every 5 years whether it needs it or not.

I've given away 3 uprights in the last year, and I still have 3 or 4.
It's like having a racing bike and a trail bike, I like them all.

Plus the cannister vac that I use most of the time.

Plus two electric brooms and 2 I gave away.

I get them all out of the trash, clogged with thread and other stuff
that get's vaccuumeed up. Takes under a half hour to get the clog
out.

A lot of people don't realize that the vacuums get clogged, and they
throw them away when the don't suck anymore.

Takes even less time now that I bought a pair of 1-foot tweezers.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Ignoramus32056 wrote:
We had a visit by a saleswoman who was trying to sell us a $2,000
"Rainbow cleaning system". For just listening, we received a gift of
some bed sheet and also a "gift travel certificate" from a company
called "Certs, Inc". (which is a florida based travel gifts company
that does not make me very excited)

A "cult" vacuum cleaner like a Kirby.
They've been around for ages.

Some people love them. I had a housemate
years ago. She was a professional janitor/
housecleaner and she swore by them. I
couldn't imagine dealing with the water
bowl everytime I'd use it.

Like the Kirby, if you want one, you can
usually pick one up on ebay for about 1/3
the door-to-door price.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

I've gotten 3 Kirbys for free out of the trash. They work but weigh a
ton. No Rainbows so far. I like the free Eurekas and Hoovers from the
trash. You put on a new belt or orient it correctly and a new bag and
your good to go.
Karl

On Apr 27, 7:04 am, Jim Stewart wrote:
Ignoramus32056 wrote:
We had a visit by a saleswoman who was trying to sell us a $2,000
"Rainbow cleaning system". For just listening, we received a gift of
some bed sheet and also a "gift travel certificate" from a company
called "Certs, Inc". (which is a florida based travel gifts company
that does not make me very excited)

A "cult" vacuum cleaner like a Kirby.
They've been around for ages.

Some people love them. I had a housemate
years ago. She was a professional janitor/
housecleaner and she swore by them. I
couldn't imagine dealing with the water
bowl everytime I'd use it.

Like the Kirby, if you want one, you can
usually pick one up on ebay for about 1/3
the door-to-door price.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living
jk jk is offline

" wrote:

I've gotten 3 Kirbys for free out of the trash. They work but weigh a
ton. No Rainbows so far. I like the free Eurekas and Hoovers from the
trash. You put on a new belt or orient it correctly and a new bag and
your good to go.
Karl

On of my part time jobs in college was rebuilding these puppies. THe
guy would by up all of the old ones he could find, make the minor
repairs they usually needed, ( more often than not a new impeller, due
to pennies or other metal being sucked in) send the bodies out to be
polished, and slap new plastic trim from Kirby on.

jk
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

My parents had one for over 20 years. It always worked great, and I
didn't think much about it.

When I was in college, I lost my job and started cleaning houses while
looking for a regular job. I was diagnosed with asthma and had a
really rough winter. The problem is I was using the vacuum cleaners
provided at the houses. I never knew it, but that water tank vacuum
cleaner was keeping me from asthma problems.

Changing a bag or getting a clogged hose would set off asthma attacks
for a week. But with the rainbow, all I had to do was empty a water
tank, and I'm not allergic to mud.

I currently have a Eureka vacuum with a canister. It's better than the
bags since I can see when it is full and carefully empty it without
too much dust in the air. I still have more allergy problems than I
used to.

I would love to get another Rainbow vac, but I can't afford to buy a
spendy one, and even the used ones are usually over $500. I almost had
a good trade for one on craigslist, but after setting up the trade,
the person stopped responding.

I can see why a lot of people wouldn't want one, but if you have
allergies and have trouble with emptying out the dirt, a rainbow might
be a great choice for you. Also, since the dirt is going through the
water bowl, you don't need to buy and change filters a lot.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message

couldn't imagine dealing with the water
bowl everytime I'd use it.

It's a pain. And then you get lazy. And then the
thing sits for a week and starts to mold. And then
it stinks and you *really* don't want to take it out
'cause it smells like a cesspool. And then your mom
yells at you and you take it out.

Grew up with one. Mom got conned. They're no better
than anything else. Just cost 10 times as much.

***

We had a guy come by the house last year. Hit the wife up.
I basically kept hinting that it was time to leave.
He ended up spending over 2 hours on his demonstration
and we turned him down on buying it. (Hey, we asked
him to leave before he even started, but he *insisted*)

And then he insulted us. And then he was rude: "If you
live *here* (we have the nicest house on the street, and
quite likely for miles around) -- if you live *here* in
a house like this, then *obviously* you can afford a
lousy 2 grand for a vacuum."

I told him to go to hell. "It's exactly *because* we
don't spend our money on stupid **** like you're
hawking that we can afford to live in a little nicer
house"

He still wouldn't leave. So ... I got out my cleaning
kit, and walked over to my gunsafe. Pulled out my
12 guage like I was gonna start cleaning it and the
******* nearly crapped his pants as he was running
for the door.

I hate these salesfolks and can't honestly believe
there are enough suckers out there to spend 2 grand
per to keep 'em in business ... but then again, I
grew up in a house with one so I guess Mom got
suckered too.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Ignoramus32056 wrote:

We had a visit by a saleswoman who was trying to sell us a $2,000 ...

Igiot, he should have sold you some brain. Then you could have figured out
that you made just another posting not belonging to crafts.metalworking.

Nick
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

I recall someone trying to sell me a Kirby. I gave him an entry mat that
had a rubber back and a short nap and asked him to take his Kirby and suck
away until he thought the rug was clean.

When he stopped I turned the mat upside down and ran my old beater rescued
from a dumpster Hoover over the rubber backing. The beater bars were the
only thing doing anything banging the back of the rubber, and when I stopped
and flipped the carpet right side up there was a bunch of dirt that had
migrated out from the nap of the carpet.

I said "Look at all the dirt the Kirby left behind! I don't thing that guy
was a vacuum cleaner salesman long after that.

--
Roger Shoaf

"Ignoramus32056" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

In article , "Roger Shoaf"
wrote:

I recall someone trying to sell me a Kirby. I gave him an entry mat that
had a rubber back and a short nap and asked him to take his Kirby and suck
away until he thought the rug was clean.

When he stopped I turned the mat upside down and ran my old beater rescued
from a dumpster Hoover over the rubber backing. The beater bars were the
only thing doing anything banging the back of the rubber, and when I stopped
and flipped the carpet right side up there was a bunch of dirt that had
migrated out from the nap of the carpet.

I said "Look at all the dirt the Kirby left behind! I don't thing that guy
was a vacuum cleaner salesman long after that.

[metalworking group removed]

Someone came to my house a while back and went through the spiel of having
me vacuum using my vacuum, then using his to show how much more it picked
up. What I didn't do then, but should have, was have him go over the same
spot again with his vacuum to see if it picked up even more.

--
charls
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Sun, 29 Apr 2007 10:36:57 -0700 from Charles Bishop
:
Someone came to my house a while back and went through the spiel of having
me vacuum using my vacuum, then using his to show how much more it picked
up. What I didn't do then, but should have, was have him go over the same
spot again with his vacuum to see if it picked up even more.

A proper test would have done it both ways with equally soiled
carpet: half done with your vacuum first and then the Kirby, hale
done in the opposite order.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living
ed ed is offline

True story -
My uncle was a door-to-door vac salesman during the great depression.
My father was out of work and so my uncle offered to train him. This
was in the days when door-to-door salesmen would literally stick their
foot in the doorway to keep the homeowner from slamming the door
shut.

Anyway, the routine was to start the demo before the homeowner could
say no. They would take a small bag of dirt, throw it on the carpet,
and demonstrate how well the vac picked it up.

My dad, finally ready to go it alone, went into a house in a rural
area while my uncle waited in the car. Too much time had passed so my
uncle went to the door to check how the demo was going. He found my
dad sweeping up the dirt with a broom.

"What's the matter with the vac?" "The vac is fine - this lady's
house has no electricity!"

Ed

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

ed wrote:
True story -
"What's the matter with the vac?" "The vac is fine - this lady's
house has no electricity!"

hee hee hee I heard a story like that in Reader's Digest years ago, and
it's *still* funny. The salesman said if the vac didn't pick it up,
he's eat it, and the housewife said, "Here's a spoon. We don't have
electricity."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply wrote:
ed wrote:
True story -
"What's the matter with the vac?" "The vac is fine - this lady's
house has no electricity!"

hee hee hee I heard a story like that in Reader's Digest years ago, and
it's *still* funny. The salesman said if the vac didn't pick it up,
he's eat it, and the housewife said, "Here's a spoon. We don't have
electricity."

Also, part of the plot of an "I Love Lucy" episode.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Didn't Abbot & Costello do that sketch at one time?, not saying it isn't
true, they probably got it from somewhere like the "two Ronnies " in the
UK with the "four candles" sketch, it was based on fact.
http://www.angelfire.com/me/tvcomedy/fourcandles.html

ed wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"ed" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

A similar thing happened to a TV dealer in, as I recall, LaCrosse, Wisc.
back in the '50s. An old farmer came into the TV and Appliance store and
watched a TV for a while, but when the salesman tried to sell to him, the
farmer replied, "It won't work at our house." Well, the salesman arranged
for this elaborate demo, complete with trailer-mounted portable antenna,
and, well, you know the rest...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"Ignoramus32056" wrote: (clip) 4. Then there were some demonstrations that
Rainbow would still pick up dust after vacuuming with a Sears vacuum, (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is an old trick. Chances are that ANY vacuum cleaner will pick up SOME
dust after any other vacuum cleaner. This might be hard to demonstrate with
your Sears, because the dust goes into a bag, where it is hard to find. But
I'll bet the demo machine would pick up more dust after itself.

I used to see this method used to sell press wash to printers. Wash up the
press with what you're using now. Then we'll wash it up with this
"super-duper" press wash, and you'll see that we got off some ink that your
stuff wouldn't touch.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message
I used to see this method used to sell press wash to printers. Wash up

the
press with what you're using now. Then we'll wash it up with this
"super-duper" press wash, and you'll see that we got off some ink that

your
stuff wouldn't touch.

A similar sales ploy was for a brand of salt that was mined rather than sea
salt. The salesman would start his speial about how the pure salt was taken
from deep in underground mines whereas the sea salt was salt water left in
big ponds to evaporate with all the sea gulls flying over head and all of
the fish guts tainting the flavor of the salt. He then would dip an apple
wedge in his brand of salt and ask the prospect to taste. Salty apple.
Then he would dip another apple wedge into the competitors salt and urge the
prospect to taste. Since the first bite had loaded up the salt receptors in
the prospect's mouth and their mind was filled with the vision of fish guts
and seagull poop the second dose of salt tasted really foul.

--
Roger Shoaf

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Or the one at the store. The guy was explaining the odor remover
product, and how it did such a good job. He took a cloth, and
squirted on some vinegar. And offered to let me smell. And then a
squirt of his deodorizing stuff.

Well, anyone with my chemistry background knows that vinegar
smell is account of acetic acid. And most cleaners are alkaline.
I could have gotten the same result with a crushed Tums, just
neutralize the acid.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message
:
[...]
: --
: Roger Shoaf
: If you are not part of the solution, you are not dissolved in
the solvent.
:
:
:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 18:48:34 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"Ignoramus32056" wrote: (clip) 4. Then there were some demonstrations that
Rainbow would still pick up dust after vacuuming with a Sears vacuum, (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is an old trick. Chances are that ANY vacuum cleaner will pick up SOME
dust after any other vacuum cleaner. This might be hard to demonstrate with
your Sears, because the dust goes into a bag, where it is hard to find. But
I'll bet the demo machine would pick up more dust after itself.

I agree. Any vacuumm could get more dirt after any other vacuum.

I think there is an endless amount of dust in most carpets.

If we could harness this supply and burn it for electricity, we would
solve our oil problem.

It has even bigger ramifications, because it shows that the theory
that matter is neither created nor destroyed is incomplete.

I used to see this method used to sell press wash to printers. Wash up the
press with what you're using now. Then we'll wash it up with this
"super-duper" press wash, and you'll see that we got off some ink that your
stuff wouldn't touch.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Ignoramus32056 wrote:
[...]

I put a hepa filter in a small shop vac. Talk about suck, I'll suck the
nails out of the floor and still suck the water out of her rainbow. Come
to think of it, that may be a good idea. Hook the hoses of 2 vacuum
cleaners together and see which one sucks something from the other.
Clear hose's with smoke in them would be a good test.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Ignoramus32056 wrote:
[...]

We let the sales guy hold the cat while we tried to vaccuum it (He
said the machine was good for reducing the dander,and it WAS his idea.
The cat was not so enthused)

Once the bleeding stopped....

He spent another hour trying to sell us on the machine (Rainbow, too)

We had told him that he was wasting his time, but we were without
other engagements, so offered to let him give his pitch.

At least he was not wasting someone elses time. :-)

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

[...]

If you want a good vacuum, go down to your friendly local janitorial supply
and buy a commercial vac. You should be able to get a reconditioned one for
a couple hundred bucks. Pick up a couple extra drive belts (you WILL get
something stuck in the beater and burn one up every now and then...) It
will last longer than you will...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 17:13:09 -0700, Jerry Foster wrote:
If you want a good vacuum, go down to your friendly local janitorial supply
and buy a commercial vac. You should be able to get a reconditioned one for
a couple hundred bucks. Pick up a couple extra drive belts (you WILL get
something stuck in the beater and burn one up every now and then...) It
will last longer than you will...

Yes, when this Sears vacuum dies, I will buy something like an Oreck.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 20:01:51 -0500, Ignoramus32056
wrote:

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 17:13:09 -0700, Jerry Foster wrote:
If you want a good vacuum, go down to your friendly local janitorial supply
and buy a commercial vac. You should be able to get a reconditioned one for
a couple hundred bucks. Pick up a couple extra drive belts (you WILL get
something stuck in the beater and burn one up every now and then...) It
will last longer than you will...

Yes, when this Sears vacuum dies, I will buy something like an Oreck.

Bissel used to make some of the Oreck's. Don't know if they
still do or not but the Oreck is all about marketing too...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Jerry Foster wrote:
[...]

Agreed, or a secondhand Kirby, back when they were simple and light
(before they succumbed to the disease of gadgetry and power driven this,
that and the other thing.)

If you have allergies etc. then a HEPA filter might be worthwhile,
otherwise probably not. I have to admit that once upon a time (in
college, and unable to find a co-op job for the summer) I took a summer
job selling vacuum cleaners and my experience was much like that of the
guy that admitted to selling Rainbows. It was a good product but way
overpriced and the marketing was very slim shady. The model I'm
thinking of was a squat canister with a conical HEPA filter and it
worked by throwing the dirt out to the side of the canister through
centrifugal force rather than blowing the air directly through the
filter. I can't remember now what it was actually called, or if they're
still around, but I wouldn't recommend buying one simply because of the
cost.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Apr 27, 9:27 am, Ignoramus32056 ignoramus32...@NOSPAM.
32056.invalid wrote:
[...]

$150 worth of chink parts. Similar to Bose. Crap.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

32056.invalid wrote:
[...]

Typical vacuum salesman. I was recently visited by one. I like to
string salespeople along while having no intention of buying (yes I am
retired and it is an amusement). He demonstrated his machine (don't
recall the name), vacuumed the entire carpet, then demonstrated the
shampoo attachement by doing the carpet, repeat for other
attachements. Then came the hard sell push. I resisted. He started
at $17xx.00 (don't recall exaclty). Resist. After several cycles he
was donw to $7xx.00 and made a 'final offer' that I had to accept
without knowing what it was. No sale.

I found it mighty interesting to see the amount of commission he could
make on one sale.

Harry K

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Have you seen the movie "Secondhand Lions"? The two old guys in the
movie did the same thing.

I used to LOOOOVE when door-to-door vacuum salespeople would come by to
try to sell us a vacuum cleaner. I would open the door when they
knocked, and all of a sudden their eyes would go round as saucers and
they would say, "Oh, what lovely hardwood floors!" and sort of back off. LOL

Harry K wrote:

Typical vacuum salesman. I was recently visited by one. I like to
string salespeople along while having no intention of buying (yes I am
retired and it is an amusement). He demonstrated his machine (don't

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 15:26:46 -0700, Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to
reply wrote:

Have you seen the movie "Secondhand Lions"? The two old guys in the
movie did the same thing.

I used to LOOOOVE when door-to-door vacuum salespeople would come by to
try to sell us a vacuum cleaner. I would open the door when they
knocked, and all of a sudden their eyes would go round as saucers and
they would say, "Oh, what lovely hardwood floors!" and sort of back off. LOL

Would that work with evangelists?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

reply wrote:

Have you seen the movie "Secondhand Lions"? The two old guys in the
movie did the same thing.

I used to LOOOOVE when door-to-door vacuum salespeople would come by
try to sell us a vacuum cleaner. I would open the door when they
knocked, and all of a sudden their eyes would go round as saucers and
they would say, "Oh, what lovely hardwood floors!" and sort of back
off. LOL

Would that work with evangelists?

Nope, you have to show them the corpses of animals nailed to the walls etc instead.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

reply wrote:

Have you seen the movie "Secondhand Lions"? The two old guys in the
movie did the same thing.

I used to LOOOOVE when door-to-door vacuum salespeople would come by to
try to sell us a vacuum cleaner. I would open the door when they
knocked, and all of a sudden their eyes would go round as saucers and
they would say, "Oh, what lovely hardwood floors!" and sort of back off. LOL

Would that work with evangelists?

Probably not,....but having your girlfriend lay nude on the coffee table
surrounded by candles and blank staring at the ceiling..visible from the
front door..and wearing war paint and obviously trying to hide a dagger
behind you as you answer the door..and asking them if they want to come
in for the Sacrifice to Chluthu..generally puts them off their feed.....
The Doors playing "This is the End" on the turntable with the bass
cranked all the way up..was an additional kharma point....

You know..old ladies can really run pretty good if they want to.

Gunner

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly
Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII
Meets all EPA regulations for clean air
Using only naturally occuring fibers
Use the Message with confidance.
(Some settling may occure in transit.)
(Best if Used before May 13, 2009)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Okay, so I'm late and catching up, but Gunner wrote
on Mon, 30 Apr 2007 09:37:37 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

reply wrote:

[...]

"What may I kill for your god.."
--
pyotr filipivich
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est. "
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 09:37:37 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

I used to LOOOOVE when door-to-door vacuum salespeople would come by to
try to sell us a vacuum cleaner. I would open the door when they
knocked, and all of a sudden their eyes would go round as saucers and
they would say, "Oh, what lovely hardwood floors!" and sort of back off. LOL

Would that work with evangelists?

Probably not,....but having your girlfriend lay nude on the coffee table
surrounded by candles and blank staring at the ceiling..visible from the
front door.

If I only knew when they were coming, I could get my girlfriend to do
that, if I had a girlfriend who would do that (if I had a girlfriend)/