DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Natural Gas Grill (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/198887-natural-gas-grill.html)

[email protected] April 24th 07 10:42 PM

Natural Gas Grill

I just bought a home with a natural gas line that extends to the deck
for use with a natural gas grill. I am pricing out grills, etc., but
want to know how tricky is the process of connecting the grill to the
line. I don' thave to add any piping to get to the point where the
grill would go; I just need to hook up the grill to the line. Has
anyone done this who can give me some advice?

Charles April 24th 07 10:46 PM

Natural Gas Grill

wrote in message
ups.com...
I just bought a home with a natural gas line that extends to the deck
for use with a natural gas grill. I am pricing out grills, etc., but
want to know how tricky is the process of connecting the grill to the
line. I don' thave to add any piping to get to the point where the
grill would go; I just need to hook up the grill to the line. Has
anyone done this who can give me some advice?

There are flexible gas lines with matching couplings available. A good
hardware store will be able to help you.

Steve B April 24th 07 11:32 PM

Natural Gas Grill

wrote in message
ups.com...
I just bought a home with a natural gas line that extends to the deck
for use with a natural gas grill. I am pricing out grills, etc., but
want to know how tricky is the process of connecting the grill to the
line. I don' thave to add any piping to get to the point where the
grill would go; I just need to hook up the grill to the line. Has
anyone done this who can give me some advice?

As stated, hardware stores will have what you need. Remember, though, that
propane and natural gas orifices are different, and when you buy a grill, it
has to say it's for natural gas to have the proper orifices. May be stating
the obvious, but many people have made this easy mistake.

Steve

HeyBub April 25th 07 12:03 AM

Natural Gas Grill

wrote:
I just bought a home with a natural gas line that extends to the deck
for use with a natural gas grill. I am pricing out grills, etc., but
want to know how tricky is the process of connecting the grill to the
line. I don' thave to add any piping to get to the point where the
grill would go; I just need to hook up the grill to the line. Has
anyone done this who can give me some advice?

Trivial. If your hand fits a pair of pliers, you're good to go.

Rick Blaine April 25th 07 12:18 AM

Natural Gas Grill

wrote:

I just bought a home with a natural gas line that extends to the deck
for use with a natural gas grill. I am pricing out grills, etc., but
want to know how tricky is the process of connecting the grill to the
line. I don' thave to add any piping to get to the point where the
grill would go; I just need to hook up the grill to the line. Has
anyone done this who can give me some advice?

FIrst off, your grill needs to be converted to run on NG, or be designed for NG.
Hooking a bottle gas grill to NG will not heat to near the correct level.
Conversion kits are cheap. Then all you need is the proper flex cable.

--
"Tell me what I should do, Annie."
"Stay. Here. Forever."

Joe B. April 25th 07 01:04 AM

Natural Gas Grill

wrote in news:1177450978.436847.276390
@r3g2000prh.googlegroups.com:

I just bought a home with a natural gas line that extends to the deck
for use with a natural gas grill. I am pricing out grills, etc., but
want to know how tricky is the process of connecting the grill to the
line. I don' thave to add any piping to get to the point where the
grill would go; I just need to hook up the grill to the line. Has
anyone done this who can give me some advice?

Went through the same situation a few years back, only I ran the natural
gas line. We purchased a Weber (natural) gas grill. It came with the
flexible rubber gas hose with quick disconnect on the end of it,they also
supply the mating end of the quick disconnect that will attach to your
gas supply line. I also put a gas valve before the quick disconnect in
case I need to replace or repair that fitting. Just a quick comment: I
love not having to purchase or refill the 20 lb. propane tanks, also no
worrys if you will run out of gas during the cookout.
Good luck shopping
Joe B.

Edwin Pawlowski April 25th 07 03:26 AM

Natural Gas Grill

wrote in message
ups.com...
I just bought a home with a natural gas line that extends to the deck
for use with a natural gas grill. I am pricing out grills, etc., but
want to know how tricky is the process of connecting the grill to the
line. I don' thave to add any piping to get to the point where the
grill would go; I just need to hook up the grill to the line. Has
anyone done this who can give me some advice?

Others gave good advice, but I have two things to offer:

Code states that the grill on a gas line be secured in place, no wheels.

Be sure to turn the gas off when done cooking. I read on the barbecue news
group about a guy that wondered why the snow was not sticking on his natural
gas grill. Seems he turned the burner to low and it had been burning for
about two months.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Art Todesco April 25th 07 03:26 AM

Natural Gas Grill

Joe B. wrote:
[...]

Did the same thing, only we put gas port
in the screened porch and another
one outside. In the winter, we use the
grill all the time .... and being a Weber,
it rarely flares up and even when it
does, it contains it real well. During the
warm weather, the grill goes outside the
porch.

Oren April 25th 07 04:13 AM

Natural Gas Grill

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 22:26:44 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

Be sure to turn the gas off when done cooking. I read on the barbecue news
group about a guy that wondered why the snow was not sticking on his natural
gas grill. Seems he turned the burner to low and it had been burning for
about two months.

I seem to remember a thread here where person complained of high fuel
bills and the inspector found no snow on the grill, burning all
Winter.

--
Oren

mm April 25th 07 06:46 PM

Natural Gas Grill

wrote:

Be sure to turn the gas off when done cooking. I read on the barbecue news
group about a guy that wondered why the snow was not sticking on his natural
gas grill. Seems he turned the burner to low and it had been burning for
about two months.

I seem to remember a thread here where person complained of high fuel
bills and the inspector found no snow on the grill, burning all
Winter.

This is why I use carbon-zinc batteries in my flashlights.

jeffc April 28th 07 06:04 AM

Natural Gas Grill

So now that it was brought up, is there any difference in heat or taste
between natural gas and propane?

[email protected] April 28th 07 02:32 PM

Natural Gas Grill

On Apr 28, 1:04?am, "jeffc" wrote:
So now that it was brought up, is there any difference in heat or taste
between natural gas and propane?

a friend works for sears, handling returned merchandise and reports
the most returned are natural gas grills for lack of high searing
heat, for things like grilling steaks

RakeKiller April 29th 07 12:35 AM

Natural Gas Grill

"Steve B" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
I just bought a home with a natural gas line that extends to the deck
for use with a natural gas grill. I am pricing out grills, etc., but
want to know how tricky is the process of connecting the grill to the
line. I don' thave to add any piping to get to the point where the
grill would go; I just need to hook up the grill to the line. Has
anyone done this who can give me some advice?

Install a female quick connect fitting on the existing gas line.
The grill will come( provided you purchase a NG or convertible grill) with a
flexible gas hose that is fitted with the male quick connect.

Use the rubber protectors that come with each.

Easy connect and disconnect.

Charles April 29th 07 12:44 AM

Natural Gas Grill

"jeffc" wrote in message
So now that it was brought up, is there any difference in heat or taste
between natural gas and propane?

The taste is produced by the fats and protein juices that drip down to the
high temperature element and then turn to smoke. Smoked meat has long been
a tasty bill of fare.

Consider charcoal ... which is often used to absorb odors (and hence taste)
.... charcoal grilling works the same way ... it's the smoke!

Dave Bugg April 29th 07 12:53 AM

Natural Gas Grill

Charles wrote:
"jeffc" wrote in message
So now that it was brought up, is there any difference in heat or
taste between natural gas and propane?

The taste is produced by the fats and protein juices that drip down
to the high temperature element and then turn to smoke. Smoked meat
has long been a tasty bill of fare.

If you like the taste of vaporized fat particulates clinging to the outer
surface of meat. I'll pass.

Consider charcoal ... which is often used to absorb odors (and hence
taste) ... charcoal grilling works the same way ... it's the smoke!

Lump charcoal is the way to go. Not the pressed briquettes that are full of
good stuff like anthracite coal, lime, clay, and other fillers.

--
"So long, so long, and thanks for all the fish!"
Dave