DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Need advice on skim coating two different retaining walls to look the same (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/198583-need-advice-skim-coating-two-different-retaining-walls-look-same.html)

[email protected] April 21st 07 10:28 PM

Need advice on skim coating two different retaining walls to look the same

I have a retaining wall that is separated by stairs. The wall is made
of brick. The left hand wall is perfect, but the right hand wall
needs replacement. I plan to replace just the right hand wall with
inexpensive cinderblock, then skim coat both walls to look the same.
The only problem is that I don't know what product to use that will
coat both cinderblock and brick. I'm in Massachusetts, so freezing
weather is an issue. Does anyone know a solution or a product I can
use?

DanG April 21st 07 11:01 PM

Need advice on skim coating two different retaining walls to look the same

This is going to be an interesting feat. Bricks are about 3x7 and
block is about 8x16. There is nothing that can be lightly
sprayed/rolled/or brushed on these two that will make them the
same. The mortar joints will probably always show through
whatever coating you apply as light and dark lines due to dampness
and heaven only knows.

You can cut the mortar on the block wall flush as it is laid, then
coat with something like Quickwall:
http://www.quikrete.com/ProductLines/QuickwallSurfaceBondingCementPro.asp

You should be able to fill all the mortar joints on the brick wall
using power washer, acrylic bond agent, acrylic modifier in mortar
mix and cut flush. The bond agent should grab the same Quickwall
product.

Thoroseal makes similar products. I have applied the Thoroseal
using a Goldblatt drywall texture gun. I have troweled on the
Quickwall, though I always wanted to try it with the texture gun -
I think it would work as well or better.

--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .