DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Best deck treatment (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/198519-best-deck-treatment.html)

dean April 21st 07 12:08 AM

Best deck treatment

I heard there's some kind of really great cedar wood deck treatment,
sold in marine shops, but I can't remember what it was called now.
Anyone remember? It was about $60-80 a galon I think.

Steve April 21st 07 01:36 AM

Best deck treatment

I have a Western Red Cedar deck that is 26 years old and in excellent
shape. . The treatment product I use is PENOFIN. It has worked very
well for me. I use the "red label" cans, the color is "Transparent
Western Red Cedar". Steve in Virginia

aspasia April 21st 07 02:01 AM

Best deck treatment

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 00:36:07 GMT, Steve wrote:

I have a Western Red Cedar deck that is 26 years old and in excellent
shape. . The treatment product I use is PENOFIN. It has worked very
well for me. I use the "red label" cans, the color is "Transparent
Western Red Cedar". Steve in Virginia

Is it water-based or oil-based? In Calif. the last few years, we can't

buy the oil-based stuff any more, and the other isn't very useful.

Aspasia

Edwin Pawlowski April 21st 07 03:15 AM

Best deck treatment

aspasia wrote in message
On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 00:36:07 GMT, Steve wrote:

I have a Western Red Cedar deck that is 26 years old and in excellent
shape. . The treatment product I use is PENOFIN. It has worked very
well for me. I use the "red label" cans, the color is "Transparent
Western Red Cedar". Steve in Virginia

Is it water-based or oil-based? In Calif. the last few years, we can't

buy the oil-based stuff any more, and the other isn't very useful.

Aspasia

Oil based. If you don't mind paying the shipping, buy it here
http://www.woodnewengland.com/cscart/penomain.htm

Good stuff. I've used it a few years now and won't use anything else.

dean April 21st 07 05:04 AM

Best deck treatment

On Apr 20, 10:15 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
aspasia wrote in message

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 00:36:07 GMT, Steve wrote:

I have a Western Red Cedar deck that is 26 years old and in excellent
shape. . The treatment product I use is PENOFIN. It has worked very
well for me. I use the "red label" cans, the color is "Transparent
Western Red Cedar". Steve in Virginia

Is it water-based or oil-based? In Calif. the last few years, we can't

buy the oil-based stuff any more, and the other isn't very useful.

Aspasia

Oil based. If you don't mind paying the shipping, buy it herehttp://www.woodnewengland.com/cscart/penomain.htm

Good stuff. I've used it a few years now and won't use anything else.

Edwin - that's it. Thanks for the link. What color do you use? I have
a cedar deck, its about 70 feet wide and 15' deep, how much would I
need? I was thinking about the: Ultra Premium Red Label Penofin in
Western Red Cedar, I like a more of a brownish red finish, preferably
something like teak furniture looks.

Edwin Pawlowski April 21st 07 12:47 PM

Best deck treatment

"dean" wrote in message
Edwin - that's it. Thanks for the link. What color do you use? I have
a cedar deck, its about 70 feet wide and 15' deep, how much would I
need? I was thinking about the: Ultra Premium Red Label Penofin in
Western Red Cedar, I like a more of a brownish red finish, preferably
something like teak furniture looks.

I used the Penofin for Hardwoods I've used it on mahogany and Spanish
cedar. So far, there is no graying from UV after a few years. I'd guess
about 2 to 3 gallons to do deck and rails. That's a good sized deck!
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

dean April 21st 07 04:47 PM

Best deck treatment

On Apr 21, 7:47 am, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"dean" wrote in message
Edwin - that's it. Thanks for the link. What color do you use? I have
a cedar deck, its about 70 feet wide and 15' deep, how much would I
need? I was thinking about the: Ultra Premium Red Label Penofin in
Western Red Cedar, I like a more of a brownish red finish, preferably
something like teak furniture looks.

I used the Penofin for Hardwoods I've used it on mahogany and Spanish
cedar. So far, there is no graying from UV after a few years. I'd guess
about 2 to 3 gallons to do deck and rails. That's a good sized deck!
--
Edhttp://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

How often do you do it then? Sounds like not every year. Mine I
pressure washed last year and it was beautiful, but in about 2 weeks
it was graying again, because I didn't put anything down. (New to
decks, you know!)

Edwin Pawlowski April 21st 07 08:19 PM

Best deck treatment

"dean" wrote in message

How often do you do it then? Sounds like not every year. Mine I
pressure washed last year and it was beautiful, but in about 2 weeks
it was graying again, because I didn't put anything down. (New to
decks, you know!)

My application is outdoor furniture. I've done it every two years because
a. I still have plenty of it
b. it is simple enough to do

I'd think every three or so would be about right.