DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Shartp carousel microwave computer dying (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/198518-shartp-carousel-microwave-computer-dying.html)

dean April 21st 07 12:06 AM

Shartp carousel microwave computer dying

I have an over-the-range microwave oven, and its fancy graphical
display (an LCD panel) has been progressivly getting worse and worse,
flickering, then blank at times. If I turn it off for a while, then
back on again its ok, for a little bit.

Any ideas? A new one is like $800 in the shops. Is it worth getting it
repaired? Its about 5 years old, stainless steel job. Its out of
warrantee I think.

Joe April 21st 07 02:32 AM

On Apr 20, 6:06 pm, dean wrote:
I have an over-the-range microwave oven, and its fancy graphical
display (an LCD panel) has been progressivly getting worse and worse,
flickering, then blank at times. If I turn it off for a while, then
back on again its ok, for a little bit.

Any ideas? A new one is like $800 in the shops. Is it worth getting it
repaired? Its about 5 years old, stainless steel job. Its out of
warrantee I think.

An over-the-range MW can pick up cooking grease via the cooling fans
for the controls. It's worth exploring the possibility of finding and
cleaning up a common switch or whatever that might be intermittant
from oily deposits. Even if nothing shows up, the folks at
repairclinic.com can advise and supply parts for you to do any other
repair. I'd bet you get it functional again for much less than a new
one, so give it a go.

Joe