Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing an electrical outlet with 3 sets of wires

Hi -- I need some help!

I am trying to replace an old electrical outlet in my home, because
it's so loose that plugs barely hold in the outlet. I turned off the
power, unscrewed the outlet, and removed the wires, but I made the
mistake of not labeling the wires before taking them out. Now I am
stuck, because there are a total a 7 wires coming out of the outlet
--- 3 sets of black/white wires and one bare (ground) wire. I don't
know where to connect each wire! This is the first time that I'm
trying to replace an outlet, and this configuration doesn't make any
sense to me. Can somebody help?

Thanks,

Will C.

Posted to alt.home.repair

will, were all of the wires used in the previous installation, and
were they all actually attached to the outlet?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 17, 11:22 pm, wrote:
Hi -- I need some help!

I am trying to replace an old electrical outlet in my home, because
it's so loose that plugs barely hold in the outlet. I turned off the
power, unscrewed the outlet, and removed the wires, but I made the
mistake of not labeling the wires before taking them out. Now I am
stuck, because there are a total a 7 wires coming out of the outlet
--- 3 sets of black/white wires and one bare (ground) wire. I don't
know where to connect each wire! This is the first time that I'm
trying to replace an outlet, and this configuration doesn't make any
sense to me. Can somebody help?

Thanks,

Will C.

see:
http://www.easy2diy.com/cm/easy/diy_...&parent2=Brand

http://www.easy2diy.com/cm/easy/diy_...720230#related

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

You do have to know how the existing outlet was connected. If there were no
wire nut splices on any of the wires, they must have all been attached to
the outlet. Provided that neither of the receptacles on that outlet were
controlled by a wall switch, it is probably safe to assume all the white
wires and all the black wires are in parallel. The best way to do this is to
splice the whites together with a pigtail wire which will connect to the
silver terminal of the outlet. Splice all the black wires together with a
pigtail to the brass terminal of the outlet. Install the bare wire on the
green ground terminal

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi -- I need some help!

I am trying to replace an old electrical outlet in my home, because
it's so loose that plugs barely hold in the outlet. I turned off the
power, unscrewed the outlet, and removed the wires, but I made the
mistake of not labeling the wires before taking them out. Now I am
stuck, because there are a total a 7 wires coming out of the outlet
--- 3 sets of black/white wires and one bare (ground) wire. I don't
know where to connect each wire! This is the first time that I'm
trying to replace an outlet, and this configuration doesn't make any
sense to me. Can somebody help?

Thanks,

Will C.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Have you ever heard the phrase "haste makes waste".
You COULD have labelled them in a couple minutes.

No outlet should have more than 5 wires going to it, (2 black to gold
screws / 2 white to silver screws / one bare to green screw. Either
you removed wirenuts or taped wires, or you already had an illegal
connection to that outlet.

At this point, I'd use your yellow pages and call an electrician
before you kill yourself or burn your house down.
Next time you'll get a pencil out before your tools.
----------

On 17 Apr 2007 20:22:13 -0700, wrote:

Hi -- I need some help!

I am trying to replace an old electrical outlet in my home, because
it's so loose that plugs barely hold in the outlet. I turned off the
power, unscrewed the outlet, and removed the wires, but I made the
mistake of not labeling the wires before taking them out. Now I am
stuck, because there are a total a 7 wires coming out of the outlet
--- 3 sets of black/white wires and one bare (ground) wire. I don't
know where to connect each wire! This is the first time that I'm
trying to replace an outlet, and this configuration doesn't make any
sense to me. Can somebody help?

Thanks,

Will C.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Have you ever heard the phrase "haste makes waste".
You COULD have labelled them in a couple minutes.

And how about "Fools rush in where angels dare to tread"?

No outlet should have more than 5 wires going to it, (2 black to gold
screws / 2 white to silver screws / one bare to green screw. Either
you removed wirenuts or taped wires, or you already had an illegal
connection to that outlet.

I was going to make the same comment. But per his post, he now has "a
total of 7 wires coming out of the outlet." He probably means "out of
the box", but if he's that far removed from knowing which is which, he'd
be well advised to follow your advice below, for all we know that outlet
may have had its jumpers removed and one half is controlled by a wall
switch and the other half permenantly live.

At this point, I'd use your yellow pages and call an electrician
before you kill yourself or burn your house down.
Next time you'll get a pencil out before your tools.

Maybe an electrician isn't needed, a knowledgeable friend could probably
put things right.

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

----------

On 17 Apr 2007 20:22:13 -0700,
wrote:

Hi -- I need some help!

I am trying to replace an old electrical outlet in my home, because
it's so loose that plugs barely hold in the outlet. I turned off the
power, unscrewed the outlet, and removed the wires, but I made the
mistake of not labeling the wires before taking them out. Now I am
stuck, because there are a total a 7 wires coming out of the outlet
--- 3 sets of black/white wires and one bare (ground) wire. I don't
know where to connect each wire! This is the first time that I'm
trying to replace an outlet, and this configuration doesn't make any
sense to me. Can somebody help?

Thanks,

Will C.

Posted to alt.home.repair
sym sym is offline

On Apr 17, 11:22 pm, wrote:
Hi -- I need some help!

I am trying to replace an old electrical outlet in my home, because
it's so loose that plugs barely hold in the outlet. I turned off the
power, unscrewed the outlet, and removed the wires, but I made the
mistake of not labeling the wires before taking them out. Now I am
stuck, because there are a total a 7 wires coming out of the outlet
--- 3 sets of black/white wires and one bare (ground) wire. I don't
know where to connect each wire! This is the first time that I'm
trying to replace an outlet, and this configuration doesn't make any
sense to me. Can somebody help?

Thanks,

Will C.

if your outlet isnt switched and all wire were attached, i would
recommend to you to put 2 blacks on the gold screws 2 whites silver
screw the last white and black should be able to be pushed into small
holes on back of outlet. i myself dont use those, but due to your lack
of experience if would think it a safer route than trying to make
pigtails. loose connections can cause fires.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to sym, sparky wrote:
Bad idea sym. NEC does not allow the use of both screws and the back push
holes on the same outlet.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...es-210594-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 2:14:08 PM UTC-4, sparky wrote:
replying to sym, sparky wrote:
Bad idea sym. NEC does not allow the use of both screws and the back push
holes on the same outlet.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...es-210594-.htm

You replied to a 10 year old post.

His house long ago burned down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 13:17:24 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

On Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 2:14:08 PM UTC-4, sparky wrote:
replying to sym, sparky wrote:
Bad idea sym. NEC does not allow the use of both screws and the back push
holes on the same outlet.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...es-210594-.htm

You replied to a 10 year old post.

His house long ago burned down.

.... and gave a bad answer to boot. The NEC is silent on the issue and
U/L simply said the use had not be evaluated (as of the white book a
few cycles ago. I have not looked recently)
I would really be more concerned about box fill because this usually
indicated an extra cable was added.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 2:14:08 PM UTC-4, sparky wrote:
replying to sym, sparky wrote:
Bad idea sym. NEC does not allow the use of both screws and the back push
holes on the same outlet.
--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...es-210594-.htm

You replied to a 10 year old post.

His house long ago burned down.

... and gave a bad answer to boot. The NEC is silent on the issue and
U/L simply said the use had not be evaluated (as of the white book a
few cycles ago. I have not looked recently)
I would really be more concerned about box fill because this usually
indicated an extra cable was added.

Whenever I had a lot of wires in a box and I knew there was no room for wire nuts, I used the push in connectors because that type connector took up a lot less room in a box. I'd come out of the connectors with pigtails for the wiring devices. Those connectors are also the fastest way to connect wires when changing a florescent ballast. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-10-...391S/202911032

https://tinyurl.com/puwr4lu

[8~{} Uncle Connected Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

Whenever I had a lot of wires in a box and I knew there was no room for wire nuts, I used the push in connectors because that type connector took up a lot less room in a box. I'd come out of the connectors with pigtails for the wiring devices. Those connectors are also the fastest way to connect wires when changing a florescent ballast. ?(?)?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-10-...391S/202911032

https://tinyurl.com/puwr4lu

[8~{} Uncle Connected Monster

I have used a few like those in the last few years. There are also some
similar called something like walnuts. Those have a lever at each
position so they can be reused very easy.

I wish they had those out when I was working or atleast I wish I had
known about them. Used thousands of wire nuts replacing ballasts.
With around 6 to 8 per ballast you use a lot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 5:48:08 PM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
Uncle Monster says...

Whenever I had a lot of wires in a box and I knew there was no room for wire nuts, I used the push in connectors because that type connector took up a lot less room in a box. I'd come out of the connectors with pigtails for the wiring devices. Those connectors are also the fastest way to connect wires when changing a florescent ballast. ?(?)?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-10-...391S/202911032

https://tinyurl.com/puwr4lu

[8~{} Uncle Connected Monster

I have used a few like those in the last few years. There are also some
similar called something like walnuts. Those have a lever at each
position so they can be reused very easy.

I wish they had those out when I was working or atleast I wish I had
known about them. Used thousands of wire nuts replacing ballasts.
With around 6 to 8 per ballast you use a lot.

I used a lot of "Lever Nuts" too. I often also used them when replacing ballasts because it made another replacement go faster. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...did=4964972922

https://tinyurl.com/y8to6r5s

[8~{} Uncle Nutty Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster

wrote:

On Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 2:14:08 PM UTC-4, sparky wrote:
replying to sym, sparky wrote:
Bad idea sym. NEC does not allow the use of both screws and
the back

push
holes on the same outlet.
--
for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/repl

acing-an-electrical-outlet-with-3-sets-of-wires-210594-.htm

You replied to a 10 year old post.

His house long ago burned down.

... and gave a bad answer to boot. The NEC is silent on the issue
and U/L simply said the use had not be evaluated (as of the white
book a few cycles ago. I have not looked recently)
I would really be more concerned about box fill because this
usually indicated an extra cable was added.

Whenever I had a lot of wires in a box and I knew there was no
room for wire nuts, I used the push in connectors because that
type connector took up a lot less room in a box. I'd come out of
the connectors with pigtails for the wiring devices. Those
connectors are also the fastest way to connect wires when changing
a florescent ballast.

They roxor. Aka, quick ports. Possibly slang.

Why do people hit things when they don't work?
It worked with the slaves
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...es-210594-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doig wrote

Yes

Tad unlikely that he is still waiting after 14 years for that from you.

--
For full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...es-210594-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default More Heavy Trolling by the Senile Octogenarian Nym-Shifting Ozzie Cretin!

On Wed, 21 Apr 2021 06:55:03 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Not as unlikely as you trolling piece of **** answering every such post
anyway, every time, senile ****head!

--
The Natural Philosopher about senile Rodent: