DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Ceramic Tile Over Peel and Stick Vinyl (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/198163-ceramic-tile-over-peel-stick-vinyl.html)

[email protected] April 16th 07 10:47 PM

Ceramic Tile Over Peel and Stick Vinyl

I am putting up my condo for sale and want to spruce up the small
kitchen (100 sq feet) with some new ceramic tile.
The floor now has peel and stick vinyl (12 inch) tile that seems well
stuck even though it is quite scuffed up. Several people have told me
that I can lay ceramic tile right over the vinyl.

Has anyone done this? Did it work out?

From a bit of searching I have found a few web sites that suggest

sanding the old tiles to roughen them up, and also to screw on the
vinyl tiles before laying the ceramic ones.

What do you think? I don't want to spend a lot of time and money on
this, but at the same time I don't want it to look like crap....

Thanks!

Mark

Howard April 16th 07 11:20 PM

Ceramic Tile Over Peel and Stick Vinyl

I had sheet vinyl flooring glued to my slab floor. I was told I could
use thinset to lay ceramic tile directly on the clean vinyl. I didn't
believe it so I tried a few pieces inside a pantry closet. It stuck
so well that I did the whole kitchen. Six years later absolutely no
problems.

On Apr 16, 4:47 pm, wrote:
I am putting up my condo for sale and want to spruce up the small
kitchen (100 sq feet) with some new ceramic tile.
The floor now has peel and stick vinyl (12 inch) tile that seems well
stuck even though it is quite scuffed up. Several people have told me
that I can lay ceramic tile right over the vinyl.

Has anyone done this? Did it work out?

From a bit of searching I have found a few web sites that suggest

mtldude April 16th 07 11:44 PM

Ceramic Tile Over Peel and Stick Vinyl

Generally in slab conctruction they lay tille on a membrane anyway. It
should be fine if your peel and stick is well stuck. If you are
nervous about it use flex mortar.

I should have specified that the sub-floor beneath the peel and stick
tile is plywood, not concrete. Does this make a difference?

Thanks,

Mark

Colbyt April 16th 07 11:48 PM

Ceramic Tile Over Peel and Stick Vinyl

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am putting up my condo for sale and want to spruce up the small
kitchen (100 sq feet) with some new ceramic tile.
The floor now has peel and stick vinyl (12 inch) tile that seems well
stuck even though it is quite scuffed up. Several people have told me
that I can lay ceramic tile right over the vinyl.

Has anyone done this? Did it work out?

From a bit of searching I have found a few web sites that suggest

sanding the old tiles to roughen them up, and also to screw on the
vinyl tiles before laying the ceramic ones.

What do you think? I don't want to spend a lot of time and money on
this, but at the same time I don't want it to look like crap....

Thanks!

Mark

I hate to disagree with others posters. May I suggest you read what the
tile maker has to say on the subject before you get sued after the sale for
un-disclosed problems.

Do it right or don't do it at all.

Colbyt

Charles Schuler April 16th 07 11:55 PM

Ceramic Tile Over Peel and Stick Vinyl

"mtldude" wrote in message
ups.com...

Generally in slab conctruction they lay tille on a membrane anyway. It
should be fine if your peel and stick is well stuck. If you are
nervous about it use flex mortar.

I should have specified that the sub-floor beneath the peel and stick
tile is plywood, not concrete. Does this make a difference?

It could. Stability is the issue.

mtldude April 17th 07 12:02 AM

Ceramic Tile Over Peel and Stick Vinyl

I hate to disagree with others posters. May I suggest you read what the
tile maker has to say on the subject before you get sued after the sale for
un-disclosed problems.

Do it right or don't do it at all.

Colbyt

Thanks for your comments, but could you suggest how to "do it right"?

Mark

Noozer April 17th 07 12:58 AM

Ceramic Tile Over Peel and Stick Vinyl

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am putting up my condo for sale and want to spruce up the small
kitchen (100 sq feet) with some new ceramic tile.
The floor now has peel and stick vinyl (12 inch) tile that seems well
stuck even though it is quite scuffed up. Several people have told me
that I can lay ceramic tile right over the vinyl.

Why not go with a laminate flooring. It would eliminate a lot of problems
and still look good.

Colbyt April 17th 07 01:35 AM

Ceramic Tile Over Peel and Stick Vinyl

"mtldude" wrote in message
oups.com...
I hate to disagree with others posters. May I suggest you read what the
tile maker has to say on the subject before you get sued after the sale
for
un-disclosed problems.

Do it right or don't do it at all.

Colbyt

Thanks for your comments, but could you suggest how to "do it right"?

Mark

At a minimum, securely fasten 1/4" hardiebacker over the existing tile per
the instructions, use thinset to set the tile and then grout.

Toller April 17th 07 01:43 AM

Ceramic Tile Over Peel and Stick Vinyl

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am putting up my condo for sale and want to spruce up the small
kitchen (100 sq feet) with some new ceramic tile.
The floor now has peel and stick vinyl (12 inch) tile that seems well
stuck even though it is quite scuffed up. Several people have told me
that I can lay ceramic tile right over the vinyl.

Has anyone done this? Did it work out?

From a bit of searching I have found a few web sites that suggest

sanding the old tiles to roughen them up, and also to screw on the
vinyl tiles before laying the ceramic ones.

What do you think? I don't want to spend a lot of time and money on
this, but at the same time I don't want it to look like crap....

Why not just leave it alone?
Personally I wouldn't consider a house with a tiled kitchen. Since you
don't know what a prospective buyer might like, why spend money on something
that might cost you a sale?

mm April 17th 07 02:35 AM

Ceramic Tile Over Peel and Stick Vinyl

On 16 Apr 2007 14:44:58 -0700, "mtldude"
wrote:

Generally in slab conctruction they lay tille on a membrane anyway. It
should be fine if your peel and stick is well stuck. If you are
nervous about it use flex mortar.

I should have specified that the sub-floor beneath the peel and stick
tile is plywood, not concrete. Does this make a difference?

A friend of mine, at the time, laid peel-and-stick on a hardwood floor
that was maybe 100 years old in a building that had been a printing
compnay iirc. It only lasted a couple weeks before it came unstuck.

I'm sure your plywood was a lot cleaner.

Thanks,

Mark

[email protected] April 17th 07 03:21 AM

Ceramic Tile Over Peel and Stick Vinyl

Try the forums at www.johnbridge.com

That site help me a lot when I redid my bathrooms. Good free advice
from tile pro and DYIers.

On Apr 16, 4:47 pm, wrote:
I am putting up my condo for sale and want to spruce up the small
kitchen (100 sq feet) with some new ceramic tile.
The floor now has peel and stick vinyl (12 inch) tile that seems well
stuck even though it is quite scuffed up. Several people have told me
that I can lay ceramic tile right over the vinyl.

Has anyone done this? Did it work out?

From a bit of searching I have found a few web sites that suggest

Richard J Kinch April 17th 07 05:39 AM

Ceramic Tile Over Peel and Stick Vinyl

What do you think?

Peel off the old tiles. Not difficult with one of those heavy steel
scrapers on a long steel handle, or a pneumatic one from Harbor Freight.
You don't have to remove the old adhesive residue.

roland@_____.com April 17th 07 08:06 AM

Ceramic Tile Over Peel and Stick Vinyl

WHy would you put ceramic tile in a kitchen? They're slippery and
when dealing with hot pots and pans and the grease that splashes from
cooking, ceramic sounds dangerous. I used to live in a house with
ceramic on the bathroom floor. I slipped several times. When an
elderly relative fell in there and nearly died from hitting her head
on the tub, I ripped that garbage out of there.

Of course you're selling the place so who cares who falls once you
move, right? But them again, vinyl is cheaper and safer.

On 16 Apr 2007 13:47:47 -0700, wrote:

I am putting up my condo for sale and want to spruce up the small
kitchen (100 sq feet) with some new ceramic tile.
The floor now has peel and stick vinyl (12 inch) tile that seems well
stuck even though it is quite scuffed up. Several people have told me
that I can lay ceramic tile right over the vinyl.

Has anyone done this? Did it work out?

From a bit of searching I have found a few web sites that suggest

Jennifer April 17th 07 04:25 PM

On Apr 16, 11:06 pm, wrote:
WHy would you put ceramic tile in a kitchen? They're slippery and
when dealing with hot pots and pans and the grease that splashes from
cooking, ceramic sounds dangerous. I used to live in a house with
ceramic on the bathroom floor. I slipped several times. When an
elderly relative fell in there and nearly died from hitting her head
on the tub, I ripped that garbage out of there.

Not all ceramic tile is smooth and slippery. I used a textured
ceramic tile in my old kitchen; this one in fact:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...LWP&lpage=none
It wasn't the least bit slippery.

Just depends on the tile.

--
Jennifer

Edwin Pawlowski April 17th 07 04:31 PM

On Apr 16, 11:06 pm, wrote:
WHy would you put ceramic tile in a kitchen? They're slippery and
when dealing with hot pots and pans and the grease that splashes from
cooking, ceramic sounds dangerous. I used to live in a house with
ceramic on the bathroom floor. I slipped several times. When an
elderly relative fell in there and nearly died from hitting her head
on the tub, I ripped that garbage out of there.

You probably had the wrong tiles for the application. Tens, maybe hundreds
of thousands of bathrooms have ceramic tile and no one slips in them. I
loved it in my kitchen. Easy to clean, always looked good. Yes, that is my
first choice for bath and kitchens.

Charles Schuler April 17th 07 11:50 PM

Ceramic Tile Over Peel and Stick Vinyl

You probably had the wrong tiles for the application. Tens, maybe
hundreds of thousands of bathrooms have ceramic tile and no one slips in
them. I loved it in my kitchen. Easy to clean, always looked good. Yes,
that is my first choice for bath and kitchens.

Mine too and hosts of others. Go look at the model homes!

Billie January 22nd 21 12:15 AM

Ceramic Tile Over Peel and Stick Vinyl

It is extremely difficult to remove old peel and stick tiles from concrete!!!

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...yl-210262-.htm

Rod Speed January 22nd 21 12:23 AM

Ceramic Tile Over Peel and Stick Vinyl

"Billie" wrote in message
roupdirect.com...
It is extremely difficult to remove old peel and stick tiles from
concrete!!!

He likely has managed to do it in 13 years or has given up trying.

Peeler[_4_] January 22nd 21 10:27 AM

Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 10:23:52 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile pest's latest troll**** unread

cretin's pathological trolling: