Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GFCI test button fails, but tester works?

I've got a GFCI outlet in a bathroom. If I test it by inserting one of
those 3-light testers that has a GFCI test button, it works fine. I
press the button, and *blam*, it trips right away.

However, if I test by using the test button built into the GFCI, the
light on the GFCI goes out while the button is pressed, but it does not
trip, and the light comes back on as soon as I release the test button.

Is this a serious "don't use that outlet until it is fixed" issue, or a
"go ahead and use it, but replace the GFCI at your convenience" issue?

--
--Tim Smith
Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Since there are millions of homes that don't have GFCI protected outlets in
all the required by current code areas, you decide

"Tim Smith" wrote in message

I've got a GFCI outlet in a bathroom. If I test it by inserting one of
those 3-light testers that has a GFCI test button, it works fine. I
press the button, and *blam*, it trips right away.

However, if I test by using the test button built into the GFCI, the
light on the GFCI goes out while the button is pressed, but it does not
trip, and the light comes back on as soon as I release the test button.

Is this a serious "don't use that outlet until it is fixed" issue, or a
"go ahead and use it, but replace the GFCI at your convenience" issue?

--
--Tim Smith

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 14, 7:42 pm, Tim Smith wrote:
I've got a GFCI outlet in a bathroom. If I test it by inserting one of
those 3-light testers that has a GFCI test button, it works fine. I
press the button, and *blam*, it trips right away.

However, if I test by using the test button built into the GFCI, the
light on the GFCI goes out while the button is pressed, but it does not
trip, and the light comes back on as soon as I release the test button.

Is this a serious "don't use that outlet until it is fixed" issue, or a
"go ahead and use it, but replace the GFCI at your convenience" issue?

--
--Tim Smith

Personally I would replace it. They cost less then $10.00 and take
less then 30 minutes to install. While it is true that most of us
have managed to survive without them, a lot of dead people might have
lived longer lives if they had used a GFCI. IMHO

Posted to alt.home.repair

I agree.

When in doubt throw it out.

Like the man said they really don't cost that much.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 15, 8:37 am, wrote:
I agree.

When in doubt throw it out.

Like the man said they really don't cost that much.

I agree. It's not worth trying to figure out why it's behaving this
way. And I'd
have to disagree with those that say it's no different than the
millions of other
non GFCI outlets. This one is in a bathroom, which depending on when
the
work was done and local codes, may very well be required by code.
Second,
it's marked as a GFCI. Someone seeing that is more likely to believe
it offers
GFCI protection when using it. For example, someone going to work
outside
with an extension cord would be plugging it into a GFCI protected
outlet, expecting
it to actually be one and work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 14, 10:42 pm, Tim Smith
wrote:
I've got a GFCI outlet in a bathroom. If I test it by inserting one of
those 3-light testers that has a GFCI test button, it works fine. I
press the button, and *blam*, it trips right away.

However, if I test by using the test button built into the GFCI, the
light on the GFCI goes out while the button is pressed, but it does not
trip, and the light comes back on as soon as I release the test button.

Is this a serious "don't use that outlet until it is fixed" issue, or a
"go ahead and use it, but replace the GFCI at your convenience" issue?

--
--Tim Smith

It can mean the difference between getting a shock and getting fried
to death, but on the other hand you could save $8 to $10 bucks.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.sports.baseball.sd-padres,alt.radio.satellite,sci.engr.electrical.compliance

On Apr 14, 7:53 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
Since there are millions of homes that don't have GFCI protected outlets in
all the required by current code areas, you decide

Just because Sitre Magana is in a wheelchair from stuffing his face
with doughnuts and making himself fat doesn't mean you have to as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.sports.baseball.sd-padres,sci.engr.electrical.compliance,alt.radio.satellite

On Apr 14, 7:58 pm, "Steve Barker"
wrote:
We made it nearly a hundred years without them. I'd not worry about it.

--

But we've made it millions of years without doughnuts but Sitre Magana
literally can't stop stuffing his fat face with them.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.sports.baseball.sd-padres,sci.engr.electrical.compliance,alt.radio.satellite

On Apr 15, 7:49 am, " wrote:
On Apr 14, 10:42 pm, Tim Smith
wrote:

I've got a GFCI outlet in a bathroom. If I test it by inserting one of
those 3-light testers that has a GFCI test button, it works fine. I
press the button, and *blam*, it trips right away.

However, if I test by using the test button built into the GFCI, the
light on the GFCI goes out while the button is pressed, but it does not
trip, and the light comes back on as soon as I release the test button.

Is this a serious "don't use that outlet until it is fixed" issue, or a
"go ahead and use it, but replace the GFCI at your convenience" issue?

--
--Tim Smith

It can mean the difference between getting a shock and getting fried
to death, but on the other hand you could save $8 to $10 bucks.

What's $8 to $10 dollars these days.

Sitre Magana can go through more than that in doughnuts in under an
hour.