Posted to alt.home.repair

Default PEX and water pressure ratings

I can't find a good reference for this. Does anyone know what PEX tubing is
rated for so far as water pressure is concerned?

At my house I have a pretty varied range of water pressures, talking to my
neighbor who happens to work for the water district, he indicates that we
get about from 30 to 75 psi from our lines depending upon the time of day.
Considering the dramatic increase in water pressure after replacing my hot
water lines, I can only imagine what it would be like once the cold water
lines are replaced (it's all galvanized).

I know pressure reducers and pressure regulators can be installed, but it
seems like 80 psi is the breaking point for that type of installation -
although I've heard that high water pressure can wear out fixtures faster,
and my neighbors have had that experience.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 11:19:15 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

I can't find a good reference for this. Does anyone know what PEX tubing is
rated for so far as water pressure is concerned?

HTH.

http://www.vanguardpipe.com/pdfs/VanexTechdata.pdf

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 14, 11:19 am, "Eigenvector" wrote:
I can't find a good reference for this. Does anyone know what PEX tubing is
rated for so far as water pressure is concerned?

At my house I have a pretty varied range of water pressures, talking to my
neighbor who happens to work for the water district, he indicates that we
get about from 30 to 75 psi from our lines depending upon the time of day.
Considering the dramatic increase in water pressure after replacing my hot
water lines, I can only imagine what it would be like once the cold water
lines are replaced (it's all galvanized).

I know pressure reducers and pressure regulators can be installed, but it
seems like 80 psi is the breaking point for that type of installation -
although I've heard that high water pressure can wear out fixtures faster,
and my neighbors have had that experience.

Aquapex meets ASTM F876 and F877, and is certified to NSF standards 14
and 61. It is rated by the PPI : 200°F at 80 psi, 180°F at 100 psi,
and 73.4°F at 160 psi.

http://www.pexsupply.com/categories.asp?cID=25&brandid=

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"BobK207" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Oooohh, that's cutting it pretty damn close.

Sounds like in a PEX environment keeping water pressure at 60psi or lower
would give a much better factor of safety.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
Aquapex meets ASTM F876 and F877, and is certified to NSF standards 14
and 61. It is rated by the PPI : 200°F at 80 psi, 180°F at 100 psi,
and 73.4°F at 160 psi.

http://www.pexsupply.com/categories.asp?cID=25&brandid=

cheers
Bob

Oooohh, that's cutting it pretty damn close.

Sounds like in a PEX environment keeping water pressure at 60psi or lower
would give a much better factor of safety.

What is cutting close? It can take 100 psi and 180 degrees. Your hot water
should be only about 125 or so.
Note: Wirsbo 1/2" AQUAPEX tubing is listed to UL1821 and ULC/ORD C199 P and
carries an additional rating of 120 degrees F at 130 psi.

Do you have pressure near 130?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 17:08:40 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:
Do you have pressure near 130?

If so, try another gauge!
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Do you have pressure near 130?

If so, try another gauge!
--
Oren

Hey, is there something wrong with wanting a nice forceful stream of water
to wash away the grime and dirt?

Personally I only fully wake up when subjected to 140 degree water at 120 to
130 psi. But I guess some people are more tolerant...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
Hey, is there something wrong with wanting a nice forceful stream of water
to wash away the grime and dirt?

Personally I only fully wake up when subjected to 140 degree water at 120
to 130 psi. But I guess some people are more tolerant...

the higher rhe pressure the higher the bill$ & more leaks=more mold and
mildew and more waste and more higher bill$. but if you don't care about
the environment or your $ you are another rude american and obviously a
moron

Posted to alt.home.repair

0On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 17:49:58 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:
Do you have pressure near 130?

If so, try another gauge!
--
Oren

Hey, is there something wrong with wanting a nice forceful stream of water
to wash away the grime and dirt?

Not at all.

An inspector for the sale of a home; said, in his report the pressure
was to high - post 85 something. The buyer wanted me to fix this
issue.

I used another pressure gauge and challenged him.!

We meet in the middle; nothing forceful about it.

Personally I only fully wake up when subjected to 140 degree water at 120 to
130 psi. But I guess some people are more tolerant...

Good for you.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 20:56:30 -0400, "phish" wrote:

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
Hey, is there something wrong with wanting a nice forceful stream of water
to wash away the grime and dirt?

Personally I only fully wake up when subjected to 140 degree water at 120
to 130 psi. But I guess some people are more tolerant...

the higher rhe pressure the higher the bill$ & more leaks=more mold and
mildew and more waste and more higher bill$. but if you don't care about
the environment or your $ you are another rude american and obviously a
moron

I'm an American, rude or not........ !!
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I can't find a good reference for this. Does anyone know what PEX tubing is
rated for so far as water pressure is concerned?

At my house I have a pretty varied range of water pressures, talking to my
neighbor who happens to work for the water district, he indicates that we
get about from 30 to 75 psi from our lines depending upon the time of day.
Considering the dramatic increase in water pressure after replacing my hot
water lines, I can only imagine what it would be like once the cold water
lines are replaced (it's all galvanized).

I know pressure reducers and pressure regulators can be installed, but it
seems like 80 psi is the breaking point for that type of installation -
although I've heard that high water pressure can wear out fixtures faster,
and my neighbors have had that experience.

When your half inch PEX pipes swell to 6 inches or more in diameter,
it's time to install a pressure regulator. Better yet, use REAL pipe
made from metal and you wont have to worry about it. Plastics are made
for childrens toys, and disposible packaging, not for plumbing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Do you have pressure near 130?

If so, try another gauge!
--
Oren

Hey, is there something wrong with wanting a nice forceful stream of
water to wash away the grime and dirt?

No, thats why they make pressure washers.

Personally I only fully wake up when subjected to 140 degree water at
120 to 130 psi. But I guess some people are more tolerant...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
0On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 17:49:58 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:
Do you have pressure near 130?

If so, try another gauge!
--
Oren

Hey, is there something wrong with wanting a nice forceful stream of water
to wash away the grime and dirt?

Not at all.

An inspector for the sale of a home; said, in his report the pressure
was to high - post 85 something. The buyer wanted me to fix this
issue.

I used another pressure gauge and challenged him.!

We meet in the middle; nothing forceful about it.

Personally I only fully wake up when subjected to 140 degree water at 120
130 psi. But I guess some people are more tolerant...

Good for you.

--
Oren

Goddamn, did you guys all check your sense of humor at the door this morning
before signing on?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 15, 8:10 am, "Eigenvector" wrote:
"Oren" wrote in message

0On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 17:49:58 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:
[...]

Probably

But EV.......the ASTM testing & rating probably have some sort of
safety factor in them so if you reduce from there you're adding safety
factor on top of safety factor.

The allowable shear stress in wood is ~100psi........so does having a
wooden member stressed to 85psi mean "cutting it kind close"?

IMO..... not really, since shear failure in an average timber occurs
at 400 psi or greater,

I just re-PEX'd & have a pressure reducer set for 65/70 plus I have a
system relief valve & water hammer arrestors so my peak pressure
should be pretty much under control.................

we'll see how it all works out

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

oups.com...
"Oren" wrote in message

0On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 17:49:58 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:
Do you have pressure near 130?

If so, try another gauge!
--
Oren

"The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good
ideas!"

[...]

Yeah I know there is a tendency to overdo the factor of safety portion. I
actually do keep my water heater at the upper end, but assuming the temp vs.
pressure numbers are accurate I still have quite a bit of leeway.

Given the pretty dramatic swings in water pressure, I consider 30psi to be
pretty large, having a regulator/reducer may not be a bad idea - but that's
not a major pressing matter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 16, 5:29 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:
"BobK207" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Apr 15, 8:10 am, "Eigenvector" wrote:
"Oren" wrote in message

. ..

0On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 17:49:58 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:
[...]

EV-

I missed this in one of your earlier posts

......... Considering the dramatic increase in water pressure after
replacing my hot
water lines, I can only imagine what it would be like once the cold
water
lines are replaced (it's all galvanized). .............

I believe you are are mistaking the increased flow as "a dramatic
increase in water pressure"

the static pressure in your system is at the level suplied by the
water company (30? to 75psi)......when you use water the pressure can
only drop, when you shut the water off you can get short duration
pressure spikes (water hammer).

Pex by it's nature reduces water hammer (Pex is much less stiff tthan
steel pipe or copper tubeing), so the Pex itself acts like a water
hammer arrestor...an accumulator..

Additonally, water hammer arrestors (required on all quick closing
valves; dishwasher, washing machine, ice maker) will reduce these
spikes.

cheers

Before I believed your neighbor....I'd take some pressure readings.