Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Reuse of stale concrete sack mix

Hello,

I have some concrete sack mix that has gone stale from being exposed
to exterior humidity for too long. I discovered this when the small
step I tried casting was very crumbly 24 hours later. So a few
questions:

I'm wondering if the unused bags of sack mix are still useful as an
aggregate mixture. Can they be combined with fresh portland cement to
make a good concrete mix? Or will the presence of the hydrated
portland cement interfere somehow?

Also, what about the crumbly non-concrete? It easily breaks up into a
mixture resembling aggregate and wet sand, so I was wondering if it
too could be combined with fresh portland cement and reused. Of
course, it is easy to imagine that it would be too wet, or the mix of
particle sizes is wrong, or whatever. Note that I'm just casting a
concrete bottom step, so I'd be happy with 2000 psi concrete.

Thanks, Wayne

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Wayne Whitney" wrote in message
[...]

I think the labor in making the step justifies using known good material,
which isn't very expensive. I would not use the old mix for anything but
fill.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Whitney wrote:
Hello,

I have some concrete sack mix that has gone stale from being exposed
to exterior humidity for too long. I discovered this when the small
step I tried casting was very crumbly 24 hours later. So a few
questions:

I'm wondering if the unused bags of sack mix are still useful as an
aggregate mixture.

You will greatly weaken the resulting product. Hardly worth it.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Whitney writes:

I'm wondering if the unused bags of sack mix are still useful as an
aggregate mixture.

No. Aggregate must be hard material in a certain mathematical population
distribution of relatively large particle sizes from sand to gravel. You
have weak material in very small sizes.

Your sack contains negative value. That is, garbage.

Concrete mix help Ook Home Repair 15 September 1st 06 06:13 PM
OT - High-mix and low-mix concrete Jim Stewart Metalworking 5 May 18th 06 01:43 PM
hiring a stone crusher (or how to reuse old concrete) Fitz UK diy 18 April 21st 06 01:25 AM
Newbie!!! concrete mix Peter Dawson UK diy 4 April 19th 05 02:25 PM
wood fence -- reuse post holes in concrete? BF Home Repair 16 March 27th 05 12:47 PM