Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Flow Check Valve in Sump = Clogging Sump?

My sump motor started running forever ; it turns out that the
flow check valve I put in prevented the backwash that kept the
intake screen clear, so it was finally unable to suck in any water.

Is there a compromise flow check valve, that lets a little backwash
happen when the motor shuts down, but not much?
--
Ron Hardin

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 08:54:59 GMT, Ron Hardin
wrote:

My sump motor started running forever ; it turns out that the
flow check valve I put in prevented the backwash that kept the
intake screen clear, so it was finally unable to suck in any water.

Is there a compromise flow check valve, that lets a little backwash
happen when the motor shuts down, but not much?

Put in the type of valve that mounts inline with the outlet pipe
instead of the type that screws into the pump base, and mount it a
foot or two above the pump. Drill a small (1/8") hole in the pipe
right below the valve. The small hole won't matter when the pump is
running, but will allow the short column of water to under the valve
to drain back out when the pump stops.

This is a compromise, since if too much water drains back into the
sump, it will cause the pump to run again too soon, but 1 or 2 feet
should be OK.

You might also consider raising the pump up an inch or two by setting
it on some bricks. This will allow room for gunk to accumulate for a
while without plugging the pump. Clean the gunk out periodically
before it accumulates to the level of the pump inlet.

HTH,

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My sump motor started running forever ; it turns out that the
flow check valve I put in prevented the backwash that kept the
intake screen clear, so it was finally unable to suck in any water.

Is there a compromise flow check valve, that lets a little backwash
happen when the motor shuts down, but not much?

Put in the type of valve that mounts inline with the outlet pipe
instead of the type that screws into the pump base, and mount it a
foot or two above the pump. Drill a small (1/8") hole in the pipe
right below the valve. The small hole won't matter when the pump is
running, but will allow the short column of water to under the valve
to drain back out when the pump stops.

The last sump pump I put in came with such a valve and had the vent hole
built in.

This is a compromise, since if too much water drains back into the
sump, it will cause the pump to run again too soon, but 1 or 2 feet
should be OK.

You might also consider raising the pump up an inch or two by setting
it on some bricks. This will allow room for gunk to accumulate for a
while without plugging the pump. Clean the gunk out periodically
before it accumulates to the level of the pump inlet.

HTH,

Paul

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Paul Franklin wrote:
Put in the type of valve that mounts inline with the outlet pipe
instead of the type that screws into the pump base, and mount it a
foot or two above the pump. Drill a small (1/8") hole in the pipe
right below the valve. The small hole won't matter when the pump is
running, but will allow the short column of water to under the valve
to drain back out when the pump stops.

Good idea, I'll do that. The hole needn't be near the valve, just
not to high above the sump pump, so long as the valve is higher
(easiest to install where the pipe couples already, by the ceiling
and wall). I have to arrange that the induced stream hits the
side of the sump well, and that the spash doesn't hit my flood alarm
sensor, I guess. Should be easy.

--
Ron Hardin

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron Hardin wrote:

Paul Franklin wrote:
Put in the type of valve that mounts inline with the outlet pipe
instead of the type that screws into the pump base, and mount it a
foot or two above the pump. Drill a small (1/8") hole in the pipe
right below the valve. The small hole won't matter when the pump is
running, but will allow the short column of water to under the valve
to drain back out when the pump stops.

Good idea, I'll do that. The hole needn't be near the valve, just
not to high above the sump pump, so long as the valve is higher
(easiest to install where the pipe couples already, by the ceiling
and wall). I have to arrange that the induced stream hits the
side of the sump well, and that the spash doesn't hit my flood alarm
sensor, I guess. Should be easy.

Advice to the next guy to drill a 1/8" hole in the pipe, don't
angle it upwards (say the cordless drill doesn't _quite_ fit in the
well and so you angle it a bit upwards). You get quite a stream of
water when the sump comes on, and it follows the angle that the
drill made very exactly. Even though it's easier than taking the
pump out of the well.

A downward ricochet off the far well wall would have been nicer than
an upwards one.
--
Ron Hardin

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 4, 10:01 am, Ron Hardin wrote:
Ron Hardin wrote:

Paul Franklin wrote:
[...]

On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.- Hide quoted text -

Not very elegant, but just hang a towel or similar so it drapes over
the hole. It will corral all the jet. More 'non-redneck' would be to
put a collar around the pipe so it directs the jet straight down.

Harry K

Harry K