Posted to alt.home.repair
ODB ODB is offline

Default Removing ceramic tiles in the kitchen (to lay floorboards)

Hi all,

laid on concrete, with a solid glue of some sort I presume, tried with a
hammer and chisel and forget it!

What is the way to do this properly and most efficiently?

The size of the kitchen is about 15 ft x 15 ft and the tiles are largish,
about 1 ft x 1 ft.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I just removed the tile from a bathroom. Used a BIG hammer to just
smash the tile and mortar bed into little bits. The whole time I kept
thinking how lucky I was that it was plywood with joists underneath
and not concrete.

An automotive grade air chisel worked okay and didn't depend on the
flex of the subfloor. Much slower than the BFH, though. That,
earplugs, and a lot of beer is how I'd attack tile on concrete.

Tile pros MUST have a better way to do this.

-rev

On Mar 30, 6:40 pm, "ODB" wrote:
Hi all,

laid on concrete, with a solid glue of some sort I presume, tried with a
hammer and chisel and forget it!

What is the way to do this properly and most efficiently?

The size of the kitchen is about 15 ft x 15 ft and the tiles are largish,
about 1 ft x 1 ft.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 30, 6:40 pm, "ODB" wrote:
Hi all,

laid on concrete, with a solid glue of some sort I presume, tried with a
hammer and chisel and forget it!

What is the way to do this properly and most efficiently?

The size of the kitchen is about 15 ft x 15 ft and the tiles are largish,
about 1 ft x 1 ft.

Thanks.

Once you get the first one up it will go OK. Like the Rev sayz you
need a BFH (3lb minimum) to get those tiles loose. Or rent a small
jackhammer with a chisel tip, they have them specifically for that
job.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ODB" wrote in message
Hi all,

laid on concrete, with a solid glue of some sort I presume, tried with a
hammer and chisel and forget it!

What is the way to do this properly and most efficiently?

The size of the kitchen is about 15 ft x 15 ft and the tiles are largish,
about 1 ft x 1 ft.

Thanks.

Rent about a 35 LBS demo hammer with a 3" chisel bit or two, if you have
grinder try to keep them sharp belt sander will work. I would wear a face
shield. ear plugs. When I tore my tile out I put a old beach over the area I
was working to catch the tile chips flying. It's one of those jobs you wish
you never started, your going to hating life

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 31, 9:33�am, "Sacramento Dave" wrote:
"ODB" wrote in message

... Hi all,

laid on concrete, with a solid glue of some sort I presume, tried with a
hammer and chisel and forget it!

What is the way to do this properly and most efficiently?

The size of the kitchen is about 15 ft x 15 ft and the tiles are largish,
about 1 ft x 1 ft.

Thanks.

Rent *about a 35 LBS demo hammer with a 3" chisel bit or two, *if you have
grinder try to keep them sharp belt sander will work. I would wear a face
shield. ear plugs. When I tore my tile out I put a old beach over the area I
was working to catch the tile chips flying. It's one of those jobs you wish
you never started, your going to hating life

once tile is up replace sub floor, its the only way you will want to
use concrete board.

if the floor under the tile is cement keep going you had a mud job, it
cant be reused go right thru to sub floor, and remove