DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Wainscot in the closet? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/196606-wainscot-closet.html)

[email protected] March 30th 07 09:33 PM

Wainscot in the closet?

I'm installing wainscot in a couple bedrooms. These bedrooms have
closets. One bedroom has a sliding door type or closet, the other is a
semi walk-in. I was thinking of installing the wainscot in the closet
also. My thoughts are, the closet doors are usually open and thus IMO
it would look better. However, is it common do have this in the
closets also?

Charles Schuler March 30th 07 09:52 PM

Wainscot in the closet?

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm installing wainscot in a couple bedrooms. These bedrooms have
closets. One bedroom has a sliding door type or closet, the other is a
semi walk-in. I was thinking of installing the wainscot in the closet
also. My thoughts are, the closet doors are usually open and thus IMO
it would look better. However, is it common do have this in the
closets also?

No, not common. But, if you would like it then why not?

Banty March 30th 07 09:57 PM

Wainscot in the closet?

In article .com,
says...

I'm installing wainscot in a couple bedrooms. These bedrooms have
closets. One bedroom has a sliding door type or closet, the other is a
semi walk-in. I was thinking of installing the wainscot in the closet
also. My thoughts are, the closet doors are usually open and thus IMO
it would look better. However, is it common do have this in the
closets also?

Not common; some would consider it overkill, but if you like it, it's a good
idea - it's your house.

In my closets, I have either an offwhite paint or - in two bedrooms - I have
accent colors on the closet walls and offwhite paint on all the shelving, top
and bottom of the shelves. Looks cool, although most of it is obscured with the
stuff that I'm storing in the closet. Some would consier even that to be
overkill, but it does give a more finished look as I live with the closet doors
both open and (more usually) closed.

Bottom line: it's your house, fix it how you'll enjoy it.

Banty

March 30th 07 10:18 PM

Wainscot in the closet?

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm installing wainscot in a couple bedrooms. These bedrooms have
closets. One bedroom has a sliding door type or closet, the other is a
semi walk-in. I was thinking of installing the wainscot in the closet
also. My thoughts are, the closet doors are usually open and thus IMO
it would look better. However, is it common do have this in the
closets also?

Obviously you can do whatever you want, but it seems like a waste to me.
Firstly, my closet doors are only open if I'm in there, so I'm not sure who
exactly would see the wainscotting. Secondly, since there will most likely
be either shelving or poles for hanging clothes along the walls, would it
even show? Of course, as always, YMMV.

mm March 30th 07 11:20 PM

Wainscot in the closet?

On 30 Mar 2007 13:33:04 -0700, wrote:

I'm installing wainscot in a couple bedrooms. These bedrooms have
closets. One bedroom has a sliding door type or closet, the other is a
semi walk-in. I was thinking of installing the wainscot in the closet
also. My thoughts are, the closet doors are usually open and thus IMO
it would look better. However, is it common do have this in the
closets also?

Is it a new house to you? Right now your closets may be mostly
empty, but will that last. I have a small dresser in one plus some
boxes on the floor, and a 2 drawer file cabinet in another.

I have a shoe rack too, but one can see through that. There are more
parts that have nothing in front of the wall, but that tends to be the
part where the sliding doors usually sit.

Some people have so many clothes, and other things that they put in
second rod below the first.

OTOH, I'm a saver, and you may not be. If you're a thrower or a
no-buyer, you'll have room for years and years.

I was going to say something like h

Lawrence March 30th 07 11:21 PM

Wainscot in the closet?

On Mar 30, 3:33 pm, wrote:
I'm installing wainscot in a couple bedrooms. These bedrooms have
closets. One bedroom has a sliding door type or closet, the other is a
semi walk-in. I was thinking of installing the wainscot in the closet
also. My thoughts are, the closet doors are usually open and thus IMO
it would look better. However, is it common do have this in the
closets also?

Space in closets can be very tight and even the small thickness of a
wainscott could smash your clothes into the doors ultimately
interfering with the operation of the closet door. It don't matter if
my clothes get smashed but some people are very particular with their
clothes if they have to dress up for their job.