Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Concrete labor costs in your area

What does it cost in your area to have a concrete crew come in and form,
pour and finish concrete for a slab for a shop? I'd pay for the concrete,
and rebar. Just a per square foot price for the labor?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message
What does it cost in your area to have a concrete crew come in and form,
pour and finish concrete for a slab for a shop? I'd pay for the concrete,
and rebar. Just a per square foot price for the labor?

Steve

Funny timing. I just got quoted today for a 17' x 25' x 6" seven bag mix
pad with rebar in front of my main shipping door. They are also going to
grade the area of the parking lot to the street 100'x100' and place 30 ton
of stone. The pad will have a steel grated trench drain in front of the
door tied into a basin. The parking lot in that area is 2' higher than the
shop floor and we have had water in the shop. They will also take care of
the 18" foundation of an old out building in the way. All this for $5,300!
I thought it would be twice that.

That doesn't answer your question...I'm just thrilled with the job getting
done.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Give or take, $3.50 / SF for labor, steel, and concrete. I don't
keep a separate labor only number. This would be for minimum
steel, little dirt work.
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Steve B" wrote in message
What does it cost in your area to have a concrete crew come in
and form, pour and finish concrete for a slab for a shop? I'd
pay for the concrete, and rebar. Just a per square foot price
for the labor?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 29, 11:31 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
What does it cost in your area to have a concrete crew come in and form,
pour and finish concrete for a slab for a shop? I'd pay for the concrete,
and rebar. Just a per square foot price for the labor?

So you want to work as a purchasing agent for the contractor and
pocket the "savings"?

Good luck with that. Who will warrant the work if the job is done
improperly? Should there be an issue down the road the contractor
will blame your concrete and the concrete supplier will blame your
contractor and you'll all end up with lawyers and you'll still have a
****ty slab, with a building on it.

Which contractor will be willing to accept such an arrangement? The
good companies will be busy pouring for clients who give them the
whole job, the crappy ones with bad reputations who are "judgment
proof" and scrambling for work will be your most likely source.

If you want to save money, go the other way. The phrase "sweat
equity" accurately contains the word "sweat".

A "slab" is a "foundation", probably not the building phase where
construction savings should be maximized.
-----

- gpsman

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
jw jw is offline

On Mar 29, 11:31 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
What does it cost in your area to have a concrete crew come in and form,
pour and finish concrete for a slab for a shop? I'd pay for the concrete,
and rebar. Just a per square foot price for the labor?

Steve

The crew can probably get the concrete cheaper than you can. Are you
planning to order in a RediMix truck, or mix your own?

If you are doing a slab, you probably dont' have the capacity to do a
full mix so you will have several small batches. This will lead to
inconsistency in each batch and issues in the quality of your slab.
If you are ordering a truck, the crew can probably negotiate a cheaper
price than you can. The concrete company will probably already have a
wholesale price with them. You are going to get the high(er) price
because you are not a steady customer.

With that said, the cost for a crew is going to vary widely depending
on what you want. Are you looking at a slab on grade floor, or a
footing, or ?

Footings for my 48x40 shop cost me $500 turnkey. 6" finished floor
for the same was around $1000 labor and around $1500 concrete.
Letting them order the concrete instead of me, saved me $10/yd. Saved
me about $250.

This was a 4 years ago. Concrete has gone up about $30/yd since
then. Labor has probably gone up some too. I had some concrete work
done 2 years ago. I can't say exactly what the labor for the concrete
was, but it was $2500 to move a 30' grain bin and pour the pad for
it. Breaking it strikely on a per hour labor rate I would say pouring
the slab cost me about $750 labor.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
news

"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

That's really funny. I've been getting ready to get some bids for the front
of my shop. It will be just like yours except for the drain. Right down to
the old foundation in the way and sloping the grade.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"gpsman" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 29, 11:31 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
What does it cost in your area to have a concrete crew come in and form,
pour and finish concrete for a slab for a shop? I'd pay for the

concrete,
and rebar. Just a per square foot price for the labor?

So you want to work as a purchasing agent for the contractor and
pocket the "savings"?

Good luck with that.

Besides, most large concrete layers get a discount that the OP probably
can't get.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"gpsman" wrote

So you want to work as a purchasing agent for the contractor and
pocket the "savings"?

I want to hire a concrete crew to lay a slab for my shop. I want to get it
for a reasonable cost.

Good luck with that. Who will warrant the work if the job is done
improperly? Should there be an issue down the road the contractor
will blame your concrete and the concrete supplier will blame your
contractor and you'll all end up with lawyers and you'll still have a
****ty slab, with a building on it.

Were you born negative, or did this come to you later in life?

Which contractor will be willing to accept such an arrangement?

There is such a building boom in my county (second fastest growing in the
United States) that it is difficult to get ANYONE to come and even bid work,
let alone do the work.

The
good companies will be busy pouring for clients who give them the
whole job, the crappy ones with bad reputations who are "judgment
proof" and scrambling for work will be your most likely source.

My source is local networking. Friends and family I have in the area. Dan
G hit it on the head with the $3.50 sf cost, but I wanted to hear what
others had to say. I DO know enough about it to look at a slab and tell if
it's done right.

If you want to save money, go the other way. The phrase "sweat
equity" accurately contains the word "sweat".

I don't "sweat" any more. I will be having angioplasty and stent work
within two weeks, and have had a five way (ala David Letterman) bypass and
aortic valve replaced. I do, however, shop things, and have the money to
hire the work done. BUT, I don't just call and pay whatever the guy says.

A "slab" is a "foundation", probably not the building phase where
construction savings should be maximized.

Like I said, I'll hire good people, watch the work, get a good slab, and
won't pay a lot of extra profit.

Same things with guys pouring driveways and flatwork. You can hire a
contractor and pay what they want, or you can get a crew, buy the concrete,
put on some barbecue and ice some beer, and save a lot.

Concrete ain't rocket surgery no matter what the contractors tell you.

- gpsman

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message

When Responding to:

Good luck with that. Who will warrant the work if the job is done
improperly? Should there be an issue down the road the contractor
will blame your concrete and the concrete supplier will blame your
contractor...

Be aware that most ready-mix companies have a caveat in their delivery
contract (which you sign when you receive the material) that it is mixed to
your specifications already, and adding _any_ water for ease of placement
voids their compressive strength warrantees.

My dad was of the generation where politically-correct language wasn't an
issue. He said to me over and over again (about concrete), "4-inch slump -
not a bit less - and whip your N****rs!!!"

That translates roughly to, "You cannot _pour_ a good slab or foundation, it
must be _placed_."

LLoyd

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 30, 1:11 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"gpsman" wrote

So you want to work as a purchasing agent for the contractor and
pocket the "savings"?

I want to hire a concrete crew to lay a slab for my shop. I want to get it
for a reasonable cost.

Then get several bids.

Good luck with that. Who will warrant the work if the job is done
improperly? Should there be an issue down the road the contractor
will blame your concrete and the concrete supplier will blame your
contractor and you'll all end up with lawyers and you'll still have a
****ty slab, with a building on it.

Were you born negative, or did this come to you later in life?

I started working on construction sites when I was 7, as a (pretty
****ty) hod carrier. That's when it was first pointed out to me how
much can go wrong with a simple job, sometimes a couple years later.

Which contractor will be willing to accept such an arrangement?

There is such a building boom in my county (second fastest growing in the
United States) that it is difficult to get ANYONE to come and even bid work,
let alone do the work.

Then you're going to have your work cut out for you finding a
contractor.

good companies will be busy pouring for clients who give them the
whole job, the crappy ones with bad reputations who are "judgment
proof" and scrambling for work will be your most likely source.

My source is local networking. Friends and family I have in the area. Dan
G hit it on the head with the $3.50 sf cost, but I wanted to hear what
others had to say. I DO know enough about it to look at a slab and tell if
it's done right.

Congratulations, you're the only one on the planet with that skill.

If you want to save money, go the other way. The phrase "sweat
equity" accurately contains the word "sweat".

I do, however, shop things, and have the money to
hire the work done. BUT, I don't just call and pay whatever the guy says.

Sometimes that's the only option. I took advantage of it when I was
the best in my business in my locale. Here's my number. Like it;
fine. Don't like it; that's fine too. Find somebody else, if you
can. But don't call me back, I lost money giving you your bid.

A "slab" is a "foundation", probably not the building phase where
construction savings should be maximized.

Like I said, I'll hire good people, watch the work, get a good slab, and
won't pay a lot of extra profit.

Same things with guys pouring driveways and flatwork. You can hire a
contractor and pay what they want, or you can get a crew, buy the concrete,
put on some barbecue and ice some beer, and save a lot.

Sounds like you have enough knowledge and experience to not be jacking
me off with your original ****ing question...

Concrete ain't rocket surgery no matter what the contractors tell you.

Oops, I spoke too soon. There's a lot more to it than meets the
inexperienced eye. Check your nearest concrete road/bridge/driveway/
(newer) sidewalk-parking lot/ for confirmation of that. Any idiot can
form a good looking slab. Will it last? These days, not much longer
than it takes your check to clear.

A great many "contractors" are going to school on the money of the
ignorant. I've seen many $5-20M homes built like ****, and most new
homes in the $200-1M range could have been built better by a class of
6th graders, for a lot less money.
-----

- gpsman

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"gpsman" wrote:

Any idiot can
form a good looking slab. Will it last? These days, not much longer
than it takes your check to clear.

Tell me about it. The flatwork on my 12 yr old house seriously sucks. It's
rarely exposed to temps below 25F, yet is spalling off the top and splintering
off the sides. I've owned homes in far worse climates where the exterior
concrete looks brand new after 20 years even being exposed to ice melt every
winter.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Pat Pat is offline

On Mar 30, 1:11 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"gpsman" wrote

So you want to work as a purchasing agent for the contractor and
pocket the "savings"?

I want to hire a concrete crew to lay a slab for my shop. I want to get it
for a reasonable cost.

Good luck with that. Who will warrant the work if the job is done
improperly? Should there be an issue down the road the contractor
will blame your concrete and the concrete supplier will blame your
contractor and you'll all end up with lawyers and you'll still have a
****ty slab, with a building on it.

Were you born negative, or did this come to you later in life?

He's right. This is not where you want to go "cheap". And concrete
problems are always "blame the other guy".

The state redid the road in front of my house. the tore out my apron
and put in a new one. after the first snow, the concrete just spawled
like you've never seen. You could take out layers with a plastic snow
shovel. DOT blames contractor. Contractor waives an "acceptance
form" saying it was approved by DOT. Neither of them really care. It
is ME who's stuck with the bad apron, not them.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 30 Mar 2007 17:15:54 -0700, gpsman wrote:
Concrete ain't rocket surgery no matter what the contractors tell you.

Oops, I spoke too soon. There's a lot more to it than meets the
inexperienced eye. Check your nearest concrete road/bridge/driveway/
(newer) sidewalk-parking lot/ for confirmation of that. Any idiot can
form a good looking slab. Will it last? These days, not much longer
than it takes your check to clear.

You sound like you know a thing or two. I am going to redo my sloping
concrete driveway and backyard slab (patio). I would like to do it in
a way that it stays flat for as long as possible, to make my material
handling a little easier. Could you tell me, what is the right way of
doing that, what matters most, concrete thickness, gravel, etc?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

That's really funny. I've been getting ready to get some bids for the
front
of my shop. It will be just like yours except for the drain. Right down to
the old foundation in the way and sloping the grade.

Today I find out our big forklift threw a rod, see my glote post. With a
new forklift, a pad and a level lot...loading trucks won't be such a PIA!
ANOTHER problem permanently solved, only a few thousand more to go.

Good luck with your job!

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"gpsman" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 30, 1:11 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"gpsman" wrote

[...]

OR, they could call YOU and get it done right.

Right?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus31975 wrote:

Could you tell me, what is the right way of
doing that, what matters most, concrete thickness, gravel, etc?

There's no reason why a standard 2x4 form won't work for a residential driveway.
Don't be like the klutz who poured the back patio in one of my houses 8" thick.
It took me days to jackhammer that out when I went to build a deck and I ended
up building around part of it.

Everything matters. You need to start with a good compressed base made with the
right material to allow drainage, prevent frost heave and not settle. You need
to have a proper mix. That means the right agregate material and the right
amount of cement. You need the pour done at the right temp and before the mix
goes off. Finially, you need enough "cream" with the finishing so you don't get
spalling.

Even then, I probably missed a few things...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rick Blaine" wrote in message
Ignoramus31975 wrote:

[...]

............ where's gpsman when we need him ................

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 30, 10:11 am, "Steve B" wrote:
"gpsman" wrote

[...]

- gpsman- Hide quoted text -

"Concrete ain't rocket surgery no matter what the contractors tell
you."
You know I get this attitude all the time from people that watch to
much HGTV. When I'm at their house measuring for an estimate and Ive
already had a long day I tell them "so, since you watch the medical
channel do you think you can give your child a root canal in the
garage?" I don't think so... Every TRADE has its secrets that can only
be learned by EXPERIENCE. Let me tell you I have been doing this type
of work since I was 10 years old going to help my Dad. I am going to
be 40 this year and I have yet to do a CONCRETE job that did not have
at least 1 new variable factor that comes up at the time of the pour,
its always something and is usually out of my control. There easily
dozens of different factors that can turn an install into a removal.
Experience is what allows guys like me to over come these factors
again and again and produce professional results. Yea its not rocket
science but guess what if its not done right you will have a big heavy
reminder that will be there for a long long time....unless you want to
pay someone like us a licensed contractor to come and take it out and
do it right for double the cost in the first place. I don't mean to be
disrespectful and I will be the first one to vote for saving some
money but some things are just not as simple as they seem. Do you
think your boss could have a nice BBQ and invite a couple of guys over
to do your job? After all I'm sure it ain't rocket science?
ready to do it right? visit us at http://www.palmisanoconcrete.com

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Italian Mason" wrote

[...]

I totally agree with you.

Now, in your professional opinion, is $26k a reasonable bid for a 1500 sf
foundation with footers, rebar, and wire mesh? That's what I got from the
first bidder.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Italian Mason wrote:
[...]

I've just been waiting to hear from a professional concrete contractor.
Like the one that did the flat work in the house I brought. The garage
floor only needed the slop out the door but instead a 1/2" of water
stands in the middle of the garage! In the basement the floor drain is a
1/2" higher than the floor 2 feet from it! I have poured concrete a
number of times and did a better job than the professionals!

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ralph Henrichs" wrote

I've just been waiting to hear from a professional concrete contractor.
Like the one that did the flat work in the house I brought. The garage
floor only needed the slop out the door but instead a 1/2" of water stands
in the middle of the garage! In the basement the floor drain is a 1/2"
higher than the floor 2 feet from it! I have poured concrete a number of
times and did a better job than the professionals!

I grew up in Las Vegas. Many of the old timers said, "That guy was a real
"pro" when referring to someone. I asked one of the old timers what "pro"
meant. He said it was someone who did a good job no matter how they felt.
I always remembered that, and used it many times in my life.

Now, the only difference is that a "pro" gets twice as much as anyone else,
and half the time, the work is substandard.

There is very little required to get a contractor's license in most states
in a lot of fields. So, "licensed contractor" don't mean squat much any
more. I've had crappy work done by contractors, and superior work done by
handymen working out of a twenty year old van or truck.

Pros come in all sizes and shapes. I guess the best thing is to get
referred to one, or hire one and watch him work on some small projects to
see how they do before letting them at the big stuff. Small towns help,
too, because everyone knows who the good guys are, and who the idiots are.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:

"Ralph Henrichs" wrote

[...]

I had a couple of mason contractors,,,, they were all good but they all
drank too much. Not reliable. I hated to pay them at the end of the
week because I knew they wouldn't be back till tues or wendnesday of
next week....

John
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
* * is offline

Ralph Henrichs wrote in article

I've just been waiting to hear from a professional concrete contractor.
Like the one that did the flat work in the house I brought. The garage
floor only needed the slop out the door but instead a 1/2" of water
stands in the middle of the garage! In the basement the floor drain is a
1/2" higher than the floor 2 feet from it! I have poured concrete a
number of times and did a better job than the professionals!

In a similar vein......

A friend of mine was building a new shop for his race car, and he had the
surveyor lay out a perfectly level floor on which to set the race car up.

He had the slab contractor come in and told him that everything was set the
way he wanted it to be, and to just pour the slab.

When he got home from work, there was his beautiful new slab.

The contractor said everything was going along fine until he discovered
that the surveyor had, apparently by mistake, NOT included a slight slope
for drainage.

"You'll be happy to know I caught it in time, and took care of it for you."
he boasted.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message
Now, in your professional opinion, is $26k a reasonable bid for a 1500 sf
foundation with footers, rebar, and wire mesh? That's what I got from the
first bidder.

I got 1800 sq.ft. with 30" wide footers, a stemwall, 5" slab, digging, mesh,
rebar, forming, labor, compaction (not counting the fill, itself), for
$11,200 here in boomtown, FL.

LLoyd

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Today I find out our big forklift threw a rod, see my glote post. With a
new forklift, a pad and a level lot...loading trucks won't be such a PIA!
ANOTHER problem permanently solved, only a few thousand more to go.

Good luck with your job!

Yesterday, I found out my forklift has a blown head gasket and a bad water
pump. I guess I'll be getting that fixed before worrying about my pad of
concrete.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Italian Mason wrote:

[...]

"Rocket science" + searching my old (bad) joke file =

"Did you hear about the problems with Italy's first rocket? Their
engines just don't have enough thrust to lift a concrete rocket!" ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Concrete labor costs in your area SORRY LONG

I want to hire a concrete crew to lay a slab for my shop. I want to
get it
for a reasonable cost.

I put in a concrete driveway and back yard patio/hot tub slab 2 years ago.
The soil/gravel mixture around the home was put in place while the house was
being built. It was partially compacted by "time" (12 months/4 seasons) and
by various machinery driving on same. Immediately adjacent to the
home(~4'out from foundation) the soil was compacted in 2 ft lifts. For the
remainder of the 30' one side/65' other side (a 90 o curved driveway) I
added about 4" of what they call "roadbase" around here (1" minus
gravel/sand mixture). I formed up 4" high 3/8" ply strips, double
layered/screwed to 3/4" on pegs making the top of the 'form' 5" above grade.
I rented a vibrating plate compactor and pummeled the roadbase (it was
conveniently raining at the time). After that, I ran 3/8" rebar on 2'
centers throughout. I'd called a concrete crew that worked on the house
next door to placxe the concrete. They arrived at 6AM (while we stared at
a dark gray cloudy sky..Will it Rain ??) We decided to go ahead..the
concrete trucks (2) arrived and they laid about 6 yards of 3000# concrete
(IIRC) They put control joints at about 6' centers and did a "light broom"
finish.

Following that, we took another load behind the house with a concrete line
pump and did a 250 sf slab with 3/8" and 1/2" rebar (under the hot tub
area) and they finished it the same way.

My cost..a lot of physical WORK..about $ 400.00 in rebar, $ 300 for the line
pump and another $ 100 for forms, $ 150 for the gravel ..40 bucks for the
compactor, 10 bucks in rebar ties = $ 1000.00 The crete was about $ 1000.00
My cost for the concrete crew 45 cents a square foot.. Yes $ 0.45

They (3 of them, one left after 2 hrs) were here for about 3-4 hours and he
took $ 500 cash for the 1100 sf job.

So, I was quoted $ 5000 for the whole job by two different contractors. My
cost was $ 2500.00 with a lot of PREP work.

The good news: after 2 years of 4 seasons: HIGH 104 o to Low -10o.. No
cracks at all. About half of the control joints have done their job.

You can get it at a reasonable cost if YOU do the prep work. If not, be
prepared to pay double for "Them" to do it.

Good luck