Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Does as GFCI give you some surge protection?

On Apr 8, 6:41 am, "w_tom" wrote:
On Apr 6, 11:21 am, Bud-- wrote:

And no links to sources that say plug-in suppressors are NOT effective.
That is because no one in the known universe thinks plug-in suppressors
are NOT effective - except w_. w_ is a purveyor of junk science.

Like Bud, instead of religous rants, I'm still waiting for any
credible reference that says plug-in surge protectors are totally
ineffective. Or even better, that they cause, rather than prevent
damage.

Tom's whole argument is so full of holes and contradictions, it's
quite silly. Here's another glaring one. Tom claims a plug in
surge protector at best can't work, or even worse, will cause
damage. Then he proceeds to point to the fact that common and cheap
appliances all have built in surge protection which doesn work.
Well, isn't it strange that putting an MOV inside a plug in protector
is a disaster, but it suddenly becomes a good and effective protector
when put into a $50 VCR? Hmmm, would seem the VCR has the same long
path to any earth ground that the plug in protector has. No, wait!
It actually has a path a few feet longer! Yet, inside the VCR, no
problems with high impedance path to ground or being able to deal with
what "miles of air could not."

And again, let me think. Which MOV would I rather have take most of
a 2000V surge? The one in a $25 plug in suppressor or the one in a
$2000 HDTV?

Now, for the religous minded, a disclaimer:

I did not say that a whole house protector, with proper grounding is
not the best first line of defense. And I did not say that all
services don't need to be properly grounded where they enter the
house. All I said was that plug-in protectors do provide some
protection and that they can be good choices for a tiered protection
strategy, or for situations where you can't install main panel
protection, ie apartment renters, etc.