DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Correct caulk to Use? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/196110-correct-caulk-use.html)

Mike March 25th 07 02:14 PM

Correct caulk to Use?

Hi, an aluminum porch gutter leaks at a 45 degree angle. I'd like to try
to fix it by applying caulk inside the gutter at the 45 degree angle. If
this is a good idea which caulk should I use?

Thanks,

Mike

marson March 25th 07 02:18 PM

Correct caulk to Use?

On Mar 25, 8:14 am, "Mike" wrote:
Hi, an aluminum porch gutter leaks at a 45 degree angle. I'd like to try
to fix it by applying caulk inside the gutter at the 45 degree angle. If
this is a good idea which caulk should I use?

Thanks,

Mike

I'd recommend a one part urethane such as NP1.

Mike March 25th 07 02:21 PM

Correct caulk to Use?

"marson" wrote in message
oups.com...

I'd recommend a one part urethane such as NP1.

I NPI a brand name or type of caulk?

RicodJour March 25th 07 03:07 PM

Correct caulk to Use?

On Mar 25, 9:21 am, "Mike" wrote:
"marson" wrote in message

oups.com...

I'd recommend a one part urethane such as NP1.

I NPI a brand name or type of caulk?

NP1, not NPI. http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=10136

Make sure you clean the inside of that gutter perfectly and remove all
of the old caulking or you'll probably be doing it again before too
long.

Nancy Young March 25th 07 03:19 PM

Correct caulk to Use?

"Mike" wrote

Hi, an aluminum porch gutter leaks at a 45 degree angle. I'd like to try
to fix it by applying caulk inside the gutter at the 45 degree angle. If
this is a good idea which caulk should I use?

Just a thought ... I was looking for caulk a couple days ago,
I saw they had caulk especially for gutters.

nancy

DanG March 25th 07 03:20 PM

Correct caulk to Use?

NP1 is a Sonneborn product. It is a one part polyurethane product
and is excellent.

For the gutter, I would recommend butyl rubber, sometimes sold as
gutter and lap sealant.
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Mike" wrote in message

oups.com...

Mike March 25th 07 04:05 PM

Correct caulk to Use?

"Nancy Young" wrote in message
. ..

"Mike" wrote

Hi, an aluminum porch gutter leaks at a 45 degree angle. I'd like to
try to fix it by applying caulk inside the gutter at the 45 degree angle.
If this is a good idea which caulk should I use?

Just a thought ... I was looking for caulk a couple days ago,
I saw they had caulk especially for gutters.

nancy

Where HD? Lowes? Who makes it?

RicodJour March 25th 07 05:03 PM

Correct caulk to Use?

On Mar 25, 11:05 am, "Mike" wrote:
"Nancy Young" wrote in message

. ..

"Mike" wrote

Hi, an aluminum porch gutter leaks at a 45 degree angle. I'd like to
try to fix it by applying caulk inside the gutter at the 45 degree angle.
If this is a good idea which caulk should I use?

Just a thought ... I was looking for caulk a couple days ago,
I saw they had caulk especially for gutters.

Where HD? Lowes? Who makes it?

Everybody carries it. All hardware, lumberyard and big box stores.
Your preparation of the joint is far more important than who makes
it. Ask for gutter sealant.

Nancy Young March 25th 07 06:57 PM

Correct caulk to Use?

"Mike" wrote

"Nancy Young" wrote

Just a thought ... I was looking for caulk a couple days ago,
I saw they had caulk especially for gutters.

Where HD? Lowes? Who makes it?

Ooops, sorry ... I happened to be at Home Depot. I didn't
look at the brand.

nancy

Just Joshin March 26th 07 08:48 PM

Correct caulk to Use?

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 13:14:47 GMT, "Mike" wrote:

Hi, an aluminum porch gutter leaks at a 45 degree angle. I'd like to try
to fix it by applying caulk inside the gutter at the 45 degree angle. If
this is a good idea which caulk should I use?

Thanks,

Mike

With today's DIY market, they have all different types of caulk. I
wold suggest you ask for one that is specific for gutters.

tom @ www.FreelancingProjects.com