DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Toilet tank condensation (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/196092-toilet-tank-condensation.html)

mgarvie March 25th 07 12:48 AM

Toilet tank condensation

Always have had a problem here in central Illinois with condesation on the
toilet tank. Best guess, the water coming into the tank is in the low 50's
and the condensation can be waful when the windows are open and the humidity
is up.

Short of adding a holding tank in the basement to warm the water to room
tempature is there anything I can do? Then only thing I can think of doing
is to hook up the toilet to the hot water pipe. Any other suggestions?

professorpaul March 25th 07 02:04 AM

Toilet tank condensation

The standard answer is to mix a little hot water with the cold. I
believe there is some sort of mixer system for this.

Don Young March 25th 07 02:43 AM

Toilet tank condensation

"mgarvie" wrote in message
m...
Always have had a problem here in central Illinois with condesation on the
toilet tank. Best guess, the water coming into the tank is in the low
50's and the condensation can be waful when the windows are open and the
humidity is up.

Short of adding a holding tank in the basement to warm the water to room
tempature is there anything I can do? Then only thing I can think of
doing is to hook up the toilet to the hot water pipe. Any other
suggestions?

Warm the water, reduce the humidity in the bathroom, or insulate the tank.
You can get internal insulation but the simplest thing is a simple heavy
fabric cover.

Don Young

CJT March 25th 07 03:07 AM

Toilet tank condensation

mgarvie wrote:

Always have had a problem here in central Illinois with condesation on the
toilet tank. Best guess, the water coming into the tank is in the low 50's
and the condensation can be waful when the windows are open and the humidity
is up.

Short of adding a holding tank in the basement to warm the water to room
tempature is there anything I can do? Then only thing I can think of doing
is to hook up the toilet to the hot water pipe. Any other suggestions?

Make sure the toilet is shutting off completely after flushing.

Malcolm Hoar March 25th 07 03:31 AM

Toilet tank condensation

In article , "mgarvie" wrote:
Always have had a problem here in central Illinois with condesation on the
toilet tank. Best guess, the water coming into the tank is in the low 50's
and the condensation can be waful when the windows are open and the humidity
is up.

Short of adding a holding tank in the basement to warm the water to room
tempature is there anything I can do? Then only thing I can think of doing
is to hook up the toilet to the hot water pipe. Any other suggestions?

Insulate the tank to prevent the sweating. Various kits
are available for this purpose. e.g.:

http://www.plumbingstore.com/sweatstopper.html

I've never had to use one myself but others have
reported some good results.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |

Rick Blaine March 25th 07 04:50 AM

Toilet tank condensation

"professorpaul" wrote:

The standard answer is to mix a little hot water with the cold. I
believe there is some sort of mixer system for this.

Except that unless you have a recirculating hot water system, the amount of warm
water (full or partial) that will go into the toilet tank is not likely to be
enough to do any good.

Just Joshin March 26th 07 08:48 PM

Toilet tank condensation

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 19:48:10 -0500, "mgarvie"
wrote:

Always have had a problem here in central Illinois with condesation on the
toilet tank. Best guess, the water coming into the tank is in the low 50's
and the condensation can be waful when the windows are open and the humidity
is up.

Short of adding a holding tank in the basement to warm the water to room
tempature is there anything I can do? Then only thing I can think of doing
is to hook up the toilet to the hot water pipe. Any other suggestions?

I've used a toilet tank cozzy to help. It's like a bathroom rug
wrapped around the tank.

tom @ www.FreelancingProjects.com