DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   branch panel grounding question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/195700-branch-panel-grounding-question.html)

bill allemann March 20th 07 08:14 PM

branch panel grounding question

I'll be running THHN through EMT to the branch panel, and I was wondering if
I could run a bare copper grounding conductor outside of the conduit? I
have a solid ground wire on hand (free), but I'd rather not pull it through
the conduit.

Thanks, Bill

Chris Friesen March 20th 07 08:37 PM

branch panel grounding question

Doug Miller wrote:

If the conduit is metal, the conduit itself is permitted to be the grounding
conductor.

Not around here (Saskatchewan, Canada). We need to have a separate
grounding conductor. The conduit must be grounded, but it can't
actually be the conductor.

Chris

[email protected] March 20th 07 08:41 PM

Doug Miller wrote:

"bill allemann" wrote:

I have a solid ground wire on hand (free), but I'd rather not pull it
through the conduit.

If the conduit is metal, the conduit itself is permitted to be the grounding
conductor.

I suspect that's no longer true, because we just got a barn with
metal conduit rewired with a real ground wire after 10 years,
at the inspector's expense.

Nick

Doug Miller March 20th 07 09:31 PM

In article , "bill allemann" wrote:
I'll be running THHN through EMT to the branch panel, and I was wondering if
I could run a bare copper grounding conductor outside of the conduit?

No. Code says all conductors for any given circuit must be *in* the same
cable, raceway, conduit, etc.

--
Regards,

Doug Miller March 21st 07 12:07 AM

In article , Chris Friesen wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

If the conduit is metal, the conduit itself is permitted to be the grounding
conductor.

Not around here (Saskatchewan, Canada). We need to have a separate
grounding conductor. The conduit must be grounded, but it can't
actually be the conductor.

I guess I should have specified that I was referring to the provisions of the
U.S. NEC.

--
Regards,

Doug Miller March 21st 07 12:14 AM

In article , wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

"bill allemann" wrote:

I have a solid ground wire on hand (free), but I'd rather not pull it
through the conduit.

If the conduit is metal, the conduit itself is permitted to be the grounding
conductor.

I suspect that's no longer true, because we just got a barn with
metal conduit rewired with a real ground wire after 10 years,
at the inspector's expense.

You suspect incorrectly. Possibly your local jurisdiction doesn't permit it,
but the national Code does:

"The equipment grounding conductor run with or enclosing the circuit
conductors shall be one or more or a combination of the following: ...
(2) Rigid metal conduit
(3) Intermediate metal conduit
(4) Electrical metallic tubing
(5) Listed flexible metal conduit ...
(6) Listed liquidtight flexible metal conduit ...
(7) Flexible metallic tubing ...
(8) Armor of type AC cable ..."
[2005 National Electrical Code, Article 250.118]

--
Regards,

[email protected] March 21st 07 11:45 AM

Doug Miller wrote:

If the conduit is metal, the conduit itself is permitted to be
the grounding conductor.

Not around here (Saskatchewan, Canada). We need to have a separate
grounding conductor. The conduit must be grounded, but it can't
actually be the conductor.

I guess I should have specified that I was referring to the provisions of the
U.S. NEC.

Me too. IIRC, it's not allowed nowadays.

Nick

Doug Miller March 21st 07 12:00 PM

In article , wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

If the conduit is metal, the conduit itself is permitted to be
the grounding conductor.

Not around here (Saskatchewan, Canada). We need to have a separate
grounding conductor. The conduit must be grounded, but it can't
actually be the conductor.

I guess I should have specified that I was referring to the provisions of the
U.S. NEC.

Me too. IIRC, it's not allowed nowadays.

You don't recall correctly. Read my other reply to you in this thread.

--
Regards,

Just Joshin March 21st 07 05:22 PM

branch panel grounding question

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 20:14:32 GMT, "bill allemann"
wrote:

I'll be running THHN through EMT to the branch panel, and I was wondering if
I could run a bare copper grounding conductor outside of the conduit? I
have a solid ground wire on hand (free), but I'd rather not pull it through
the conduit.

Thanks, Bill

IMHO, since not your electrician:

Some might suggest you omit the equipment grounding conductor, since
you are using emt, but I find it safer to include it. Just make sure
your ground wire is sized properly, per codes.

Also, check with your local codes, even though you don't have to route
a ground wire, since emt, your local codes might have more restrictive
rules.

later,

tom @ www.

Just Joshin March 22nd 07 03:25 PM

On 20 Mar 2007 15:41:05 -0500, wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:

"bill allemann" wrote:

I have a solid ground wire on hand (free), but I'd rather not pull it
through the conduit.

If the conduit is metal, the conduit itself is permitted to be the grounding
conductor.

I suspect that's no longer true, because we just got a barn with
metal conduit rewired with a real ground wire after 10 years,
at the inspector's expense.

Nick

What inspector? What inspector is required to 'fix' things?

later,

tom @
www.FreeCreditCheckGuide.com

mm March 23rd 07 06:43 PM

branch panel grounding question

Doug Miller wrote:

"bill allemann" wrote:

I have a solid ground wire on hand (free), but I'd rather not pull it
through the conduit.

If the conduit is metal, the conduit itself is permitted to be the grounding
conductor.

I suspect that's no longer true, because we just got a barn with
metal conduit rewired with a real ground wire after 10 years,
at the inspector's expense.

Nick

What inspector? What inspector is required to 'fix' things?

This confused me too at first, but I think he means that the inspector
failed to tell the buyer that there was something wrong, that the
inspector had a duty to notice. And the buyer bought. So the
inspector, maybe via his insurance, had to pay for the repair.

Just Joshin March 23rd 07 10:26 PM

branch panel grounding question

Doug Miller wrote:

"bill allemann" wrote:

I have a solid ground wire on hand (free), but I'd rather not pull it
through the conduit.

If the conduit is metal, the conduit itself is permitted to be the grounding
conductor.

I suspect that's no longer true, because we just got a barn with
metal conduit rewired with a real ground wire after 10 years,
at the inspector's expense.

Nick

What inspector? What inspector is required to 'fix' things?

This confused me too at first, but I think he means that the inspector
failed to tell the buyer that there was something wrong, that the
inspector had a duty to notice. And the buyer bought. So the
inspector, maybe via his insurance, had to pay for the repair.

Wow, I hope they post the name. Since it appears that either they do
a good job, or they fix it.

Nice!

tom