Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Moen Shower Faucet Replacement

I decided to replace my Moen shower faucet (the cheap plastic-handle
kind my builder installed) with something a bit more fancy. I
purchased a new Moen Eva faucet with the same screw configuration as
the one I removed. I left the old posi-temp vale in-place as it is
only 4 years old and I didn't want to turn this into a huge job.

The new handle installs fine, but the handle sticks out about a good
inch or so from the wall-plate rather than mounting flush as it is
supposed to according to the picture and manual. Frankly, it looks
pretty goofy right now.

I looked at all the documentation and it looks like the valve is
supposed to be recessed further back in the wall. I'm not ready to rip
apart the bathroom wall and redo the plumbing.

Am I missing something? Is there an easy way to recess the valve
further back into the wall without ripping the wall open? Is there a
shorter cartridge option?

Thanks in advance!!

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Mar 17, 10:09 pm, wrote:
[...]

Was the distance correct before? If so, would appear the new one has
different dimensions than the existing -- not too surprising. Unless
there's a mounting nipple that could be shortened, only thing one can
do as far as I know would be to rearrange the valve location. How
much effort and how much destruction required depends entirely on how
the original was plumbed and how much access there is behind the cover
plate. Can't see that from here...

Had to cobble a repair to daughter's shower from replacement of
galvanized piping in tub/shower -- guy tore up a chunk of tile and
left the nipple long for the tub spout. Owing to time constraints and
lack of tools away from home, made a filler gasket to make up the
difference -- of course, it was only about 1/4", not a long distance.
Looks a little funky, but much better than a hole in the tiled wall.
Point of story is you'll either have to do it right or make a patchup
job of some sort for your situation.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Moen now has a standardize valve system so trim can be changed. My guess is
your valve predates the new system.

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Have you ever taken apart this Moen faucet... Joe Home Repair 3 April 3rd 06 03:22 PM
Moen Kitchen Faucet Ken Home Repair 10 August 2nd 05 02:24 PM
Need help fixing a Moen kitchen faucet toller Home Repair 7 September 11th 04 12:47 AM
Moen Faucet Repair Sundog Home Repair 2 November 4th 03 04:30 AM