Old March 16th 07, 02:18 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Smoke Detector's Light (Blinking Green)

Hi All,

I have 6 smoke detectors at home, and noticed that 4 of them had a
blinking green light. I thought the problem was battery, so I got some
brand new 9v batteries and replaced them on the 4 blinking ones.

The problem is, even after I replaced them, they keep blinking
(green), and sometimes do a soft beep.

- Does anyone know what a green blinking light means?
- How can I check the manufacturer? It doesn't say anything around it,
maybe I should open and check inside.

These smoke detectors are only 2 years old, they were put by the
builder, so I don't think I should replace them, right?

Thanks in advance,

R. Medeiros

Old March 16th 07, 02:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 16, 10:18 am, wrote:
Hi All,

I have 6 smoke detectors at home, and noticed that 4 of them had a
blinking green light. I thought the problem was battery, so I got some
brand new 9v batteries and replaced them on the 4 blinking ones.

The problem is, even after I replaced them, they keep blinking
(green), and sometimes do a soft beep.

- Does anyone know what a green blinking light means?
- How can I check the manufacturer? It doesn't say anything around it,
maybe I should open and check inside.

These smoke detectors are only 2 years old, they were put by the
builder, so I don't think I should replace them, right?

Thanks in advance,

R. Medeiros

The green blink is to let you know everything is "ok".

The soft beep (or 'chirp') is to let you know the battery is low.

If these are also wired for 110V power, the ones that you replaced the
battery in that are chirping might have the battery making poor
contact.

Dave

Old March 16th 07, 03:22 PM posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

The blinking light will mean different things to different makes and models.
Separate the unit from its base, and where the jack attaches to the unit it
should have the make and model. Look it up on the net to find out what it
means. Generally there will be an audible sound, like a chirp every 45
seconds to let you know that the battery is low

ups.com...

Old March 16th 07, 05:54 PM posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

In article . com,
says...
Hi All,

I have 6 smoke detectors at home, and noticed that 4 of them had a
blinking green light. I thought the problem was battery, so I got some
brand new 9v batteries and replaced them on the 4 blinking ones.

Are you sure the builder didn't leave the owners manuals around
somewhere? I'm the second owner, and I don't think I have the manaual
for my smoke alarm, but I do have the manual for the bathroom fan, the
range hood, the water heater that was first in, the furnace, the AC,
plus all the appliances the first owner bought.

Maybe your manual is somehwere in that stack.

Old March 16th 07, 10:48 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 16, 10:54 am, mm wrote:
In article . com,
says...
Hi All,

I have 6 smoke detectors at home, and noticed that 4 of them had a
blinking green light. I thought the problem was battery, so I got some
brand new 9v batteries and replaced them on the 4 blinking ones.

Are you sure the builder didn't leave the owners manuals around
somewhere? I'm the second owner, and I don't think I have the manaual
for my smoke alarm, but I do have the manual for the bathroom fan, the
range hood, the water heater that was first in, the furnace, the AC,
plus all the appliances the first owner bought.

Maybe your manual is somehwere in that stack.

Hi all, Thanks for your answers.

I just replaced the batteries today, and about half hour after I did
that they stopped making the noise.
But as soon as I get home I will make sure to check the contact, to
check if thay are making poor contact (as per Dave).
I will also follow RBM's advice and check the maker/model and look it
up on the net to see what they say.
J., I think you are right, because the alarm was triggered 1 month
ago, and only after that I have been noticing the blinking. However I
don't see any Reset Button, there are 2 buttons: "Hush", and "Push and
Hold to Test".
Mm, I did check all the manuals from the house appliances, sprinkler
timer, AC unit, refrigerator, range, microwave, etc. I keep them in a
specific folder, so when I sell the house I can pass that on. But the
Smoke Detector wasn't there.

Again, thanks to all the answers, I will keep you guys posted.

R. Medeiros

Old March 17th 07, 08:21 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Just like traffic lights, green means GO. You are supposed to GO OUT
OF THE HOUSE, because your house is on fire. By the time you read
this message your house will be burnt to the ground, and you'll be
dead. so there is no reason to post further details.

I should note that fires occur all the time throughout the world, and
people die every day too. Therefore this is no big deal, and you will
not make history.

I'll see you at the judgement station......
ALL ABOARD !!!!!

GOD

--------------------

Old October 8th 15, 07:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair

replying to rafaelmedeiros, Jonathan wrote:
rafaelmedeiros wrote:

[...]

Just hold the test/reset button for about 5 seconds till you heat a long
chirp. It should stop blinking green. The green is just an indicator of
which one went off

Old May 15th 16, 05:44 AM posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Jonathan, Erin C wrote:
Thank you soooo much!!!! One of our smoke alarms has been beeping every day
for a month and we just couldn't figure it out!!!!

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...en-203358-.htm

Old November 8th 16, 02:44 AM posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Jonathan, Elaine wrote:
Thank you, Jonathan! We were having the same problem. Changing the battery
didn't help, but holding down the test/reset button for 5 seconds fixed the
problem. It was LOUD, but it worked! Thanks

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...en-203358-.htm