Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default Hoover Washing Machine Drains as it Fills...

Hello,

I moved a Hoover A-Class 600 washing machine to a new apartment and it
no longer works. When I turn it on, it starts to fill with water, but
very slowly. We have great water pressure, so I think it is draining
at the same time as it fills. Sure enough, if you turn it off, the
water drains out right away. Is this a problem with the machine
itself? Is the programming incorrectly opening the drain valve?
Thanks!

~rvr

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 14 Mar 2007 22:52:11 -0700, "Ryan van Roode"
wrote:

Hello,

I moved a Hoover A-Class 600 washing machine to a new apartment and it
no longer works. When I turn it on, it starts to fill with water, but
very slowly. We have great water pressure, so I think it is draining
at the same time as it fills. Sure enough, if you turn it off, the
water drains out right away.

Into a sink? I guess not because you're not sure it is draining when
it is filling.

Into a drain pipe built into the wall? Can't you lift up the hose a
little and see for sure if it is draining?

Is this a problem with the machine
itself?

I don't know that machine, but in general the draining makes it's own
noise, the noise of the motor and pump running.

OTOH, filling makes only the noise of the water running and of it
falling or spraying into the washer.

Can you tell if it is making the first noise too, when filling.

Is the programming incorrectly opening the drain valve?

And running the pump motor, but if it can mistakenly do one thing, it
could do both. Maybe it's doing that, but I don't know that i would
call it the programming. There is no way to do this intentinally,
right, I'd say that it's currently broken.

Unplug it and let it sit for 10 minutes, or better yet an hour, plug
it in again and see if it is any different. Sometimes this will
unconfuse an electronic device.

(OTOH, I had a Royal office copier made in about 1977, and while
fixing the fuser or something I unplugged it, and when I plugged it
in, it worked far worse than before. Even with the factory service
manual, I got nowhere for a long time. I had no idea even that
unplugging it had caused the new problem. After a lot of thought and
studying the wiring diagram to figure out how it worked, it turned out
that out of the 20 plug-in relays, two were latching relays, and
because I unplugged the thing in the middle of a cycle, they stayed in
the wrong position. There was nothing in the machine to reset them
except at one particular spot in the cycle. When I figured this out
and reset them with a battery (much less voltage than the rated
voltage was adequate for this), the whole thing worked fine. (There
was a little window in the top, which showed one of two different
colors depending on if the relay was open or closed.

(Don't worry, this was made in 1977, and was much more relay dependent
even than a washing machine was then, which probalby had none.
Unplugging your washer won't cause such a problem, and might possibly
fix it.)

Thanks!

~rvr

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Ryan,

Sounds as if the water is siphoning out the drain. Check your drain hose
and the drain. Is the drain hose higher than the tub? This stuff is
discussed in your owner's manual.

Dave M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Mar 15, 7:34 am, "David Martel" wrote:
Ryan,

Sounds as if the water is siphoning out the drain. Check your drain hose
and the drain. Is the drain hose higher than the tub? This stuff is
discussed in your owner's manual.

Dave M.

Highly likely. Could also be from a lack of a vent pipe in the
drain. Stick a butter knife or wooden dowel between the drain hose &
drain pipe to break the seal and see if that changes the problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"Ryan van Roode" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

I moved a Hoover A-Class 600 washing machine to a new apartment and it
no longer works. When I turn it on, it starts to fill with water, but
very slowly. We have great water pressure, so I think it is draining
at the same time as it fills. Sure enough, if you turn it off, the
water drains out right away. Is this a problem with the machine
itself? Is the programming incorrectly opening the drain valve?
Thanks!

~rvr

Is the drain hose above the water level as it should be?

Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Mar 18, 2:54 am, "Big Al" wrote:
"Ryan van Roode" wrote in oglegroups.com...

Hello,

I moved aHooverA-Class 600 washing machine to a new apartment and it
no longer works. When I turn it on, it starts to fill with water, but
very slowly. We have great water pressure, so I think it is draining
at the same time as itfills. Sure enough, if you turn it off, the
waterdrainsout right away. Is this a problem with the machine
itself? Is the programming incorrectly opening the drain valve?
Thanks!

~rvr

Is the drain hose above the water level as it should be?

Al

Thanks for all of the responses. I didn't have the manual and all of
your suggestions were things I hadn't realized. Of course I solved the
problem by changing nothing, waiting a few days, and trying it again.
Who knows what was wrong?

~rvr

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 20 Mar 2007 01:37:01 -0700, "Ryan van Roode"
mused:

On Mar 18, 2:54 am, "Big Al" wrote:
[...]

You need to check these things. It could start doing it again as a
machine that epties as it fills either has the pipe ramed too far down
the waste stack thus causing the water to syphon out or the waste is
too low so the water simply falls out.

If it's still emptying when you turn it off it's not the drain pump.
--
Regards,
Stuart.