Posted to alt.home.repair
vic vic is offline

Default Any of you who has bought and installed a retractable screen door?

I would like to install a retractable screen on a door leading onto my
patio.
These retractable screens seem to be an ideal solution to many
situations where a screen door would present problems, but I have not
seen any at the box stores or info about them on the DIY forums.
Has anyone bought and installed this type of screen for a door.
Any hands on experience or advice would be appreciated!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"vic" wrote in message
oups.com...
I would like to install a retractable screen on a door leading onto my
patio.
These retractable screens seem to be an ideal solution to many
situations where a screen door would present problems, but I have not
seen any at the box stores or info about them on the DIY forums.
Has anyone bought and installed this type of screen for a door.
Any hands on experience or advice would be appreciated!

I did two, and we love them. They're very bugproof, and they look nice.
You learn on the first, and the second one goes easier. In each case, I had
to modify the threshold. They fit standard openings, but the area
surrounding the door has to be flat and mounting the bottom track is a
problem in some cases.

That being said, we got the cheepies at Home Depot rather than the $250
Phantoms. So far, so good. They're going on two years old, and doing good.
What will kill them is kids and dogs. They poke through, and cause the
buttons to pull out of the bottom track. This resets every time you retract
the door into its sheath, but after a time, the buttons get trashed.

They're not rocket surgery, but in each case may take a little modification
to mount.

HTH

Steve