DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Why not GFCI everywhere? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/194853-why-not-gfci-everywhere.html)

[email protected] March 12th 07 04:03 PM

Why not GFCI everywhere?

I think that GFCI outlet look smarter than the regular outlets. Is
there a reason, other than cost) not to use them everywhere in the
house?

Thanks!

Aaron Fude

N8N March 12th 07 04:09 PM

Why not GFCI everywhere?

On Mar 12, 11:03 am, wrote:
I think that GFCI outlet look smarter than the regular outlets. Is
there a reason, other than cost) not to use them everywhere in the
house?

Thanks!

Aaron Fude

I believe that they are not recommended for use wherever medical
equipment may be installed, if that is a concern.

If you like the look of the GFCI devices, check out the "Decora" line
of wiring devices; they look pretty much like a GFCI without the
buttons.

nate

Joseph Meehan March 12th 07 04:49 PM

Why not GFCI everywhere?

wrote:
I think that GFCI outlet look smarter than the regular outlets. Is
there a reason, other than cost) not to use them everywhere in the
house?

Thanks!

Aaron Fude

Money and false trips traded off against a very slight increase in
safety. If something it too expensive or too much trouble it will end up
not being used.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

RicodJour March 12th 07 04:53 PM

Why not GFCI everywhere?

On Mar 12, 12:03 pm, wrote:
I think that GFCI outlet look smarter than the regular outlets. Is
there a reason, other than cost) not to use them everywhere in the
house?

You think they look better? I don't think the push buttons add to the
aesthetic, but different strokes and all that.

http://members.tripod.com/~masterslic/FAQ-2/6.html
Not definitive, but it makes valid points.

Mark Lloyd March 12th 07 05:14 PM

Why not GFCI everywhere?

On 12 Mar 2007 09:03:19 -0700, wrote:

I think that GFCI outlet look smarter than the regular outlets. Is
there a reason, other than cost) not to use them everywhere in the
house?

By "look smarter", are you thinking of the shape of wall plate needed?
You can get non-GFCI outlets shaped like that, and they cost a lot
less than GFCI ones. There's switches shaped like that too.

Thanks!

Aaron Fude

Also, I prefer white to ivory. The ivory plates look like they're
always dirty.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster

Mark Lloyd March 12th 07 05:18 PM

Why not GFCI everywhere?

On 12 Mar 2007 09:09:53 -0700, "N8N" wrote:

On Mar 12, 11:03 am, wrote:
I think that GFCI outlet look smarter than the regular outlets. Is
there a reason, other than cost) not to use them everywhere in the
house?

Thanks!

Aaron Fude

I believe that they are not recommended for use wherever medical
equipment may be installed, if that is a concern.

As well as refrigerators and freezers, where an unexpected trip while
you're out can have expensive (and smelly) consequences.

If you like the look of the GFCI devices, check out the "Decora" line
of wiring devices; they look pretty much like a GFCI without the
buttons.

nate

The Lowe's here has a lot of Decora style receptacles and switches.
They're as easy to find as the conventional style ones.

dnoyeB March 12th 07 05:22 PM

Why not GFCI everywhere?

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 09:03:19 -0700, aaronfude wrote:

I think that GFCI outlet look smarter than the regular outlets. Is
there a reason, other than cost) not to use them everywhere in the
house?

Thanks!

Aaron Fude

More parts = lower reliability. Most outlets seem to have a huge
lifetime, but GFCI is nowhere near the life of a standard outlet.

But when opportunity presented itself, I did install GFCI and some AFCI
breakers in my panel eventhough they were not strictly required.

Toller March 12th 07 05:38 PM

Why not GFCI everywhere?

wrote in message
oups.com...
I think that GFCI outlet look smarter than the regular outlets. Is
there a reason, other than cost) not to use them everywhere in the
house?

Thanks!

Aaron Fude

Well, aside from expense... They can occassionally be a pain to shove in a
box, and you sure don't want a nuisance trip on your refrigerator. If those
don't matter to you, go for it!

March 12th 07 06:13 PM

Why not GFCI everywhere?

In article ,
says...

This may be reality if your local government adopts the 2008 code.
AFCI protection will be required on all 15 and 20a circuits in 2008.

Hope the added volume brings down the cost of AFCI breakers a bit.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/

mm March 12th 07 06:16 PM

Why not GFCI everywhere?

On 12 Mar 2007 09:03:19 -0700, wrote:

I think that GFCI outlet look smarter than the regular outlets. Is
there a reason, other than cost) not to use them everywhere in the
house?

Thanks!

Aaron Fude

Someone here once said that they were recommended AGAINST for
refrigerators, because if they tripped the food would get warm.

Joseph Meehan March 12th 07 07:19 PM

Why not GFCI everywhere?

wrote:
I think that GFCI outlet look smarter than the regular outlets. Is
there a reason, other than cost) not to use them everywhere in the
house?

Thanks!

Aaron Fude

If it is just the look you are after:

http://www.onestopbuy.com/DECORATOR-...asp?pt=gdecora

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Charles Schuler March 12th 07 08:55 PM

Why not GFCI everywhere?

This may be reality if your local government adopts the 2008 code.
AFCI protection will be required on all 15 and 20a circuits in 2008.
That includes 30ma or 5ma ground fault protection by design

Sounds like revenue generation. AFCIs are not all that they are tauted to
be. So far. They will improve.

It is premature to require them in 1 or 2 years.

Sounds like the lobbyists are earning their huge salaries.

Bud-- March 12th 07 09:18 PM

Why not GFCI everywhere?

wrote:

In article ,
says...

This may be reality if your local government adopts the 2008 code.
AFCI protection will be required on all 15 and 20a circuits in 2008.

[Residential, 120V]

My usual question - from your vast connection to the rumor mill, what is
the status of the new "combination" AFCIs. Do physical manifestations of
this mythical creation exist? Will they soon? Many manufacturers? Do
they actually work?

Hope the added volume brings down the cost of AFCI breakers a bit.

After 1-1-08 AFCIs must be of a new type that detects "series" arcs in
addition to "parallel" arcs that are now detected. In its omniscient
wisdom, and in an example of exquisite timing, the code requires that
these new AFCIs, last I heard nonexistent, be installed 'everywhere'. Do
you suppose the prices will go down soon?

--
bud--

Goedjn March 12th 07 09:42 PM

Why not GFCI everywhere?

On Mar 12, 11:03 am, wrote:
I think that GFCI outlet look smarter than the regular outlets. Is
there a reason, other than cost) not to use them everywhere in the
house?

Thanks!

Aaron Fude

I believe that they are not recommended for use wherever medical
equipment may be installed, if that is a concern.

Anywhere where its very important that the circut not go dead
when it doesn't have to, you shouldn't use GFCIs.

That's mostly refridgeration, medical equipment, sump-pumps,
emergency lighting, and heavy fixed equipment.

For regular convenience outlets, no,
I can think of no reason other
than cost not to use GFCIs.

mm March 12th 07 10:00 PM

Why not GFCI everywhere?

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 15:18:48 -0600, Bud--
wrote:

After 1-1-08 AFCIs must be of a new type that detects "series" arcs in
addition to "parallel" arcs that are now detected. In its omniscient
wisdom, and in an example of exquisite timing, the code requires that
these new AFCIs, last I heard nonexistent, be installed 'everywhere'. Do
you suppose the prices will go down soon?

I don't know anything about this, but if no one sells them, the prices
should go up.

A customer is in a grocery when a guy comes in and asks how much the
tomatoes are.

The owner says 3 dollars a pound.

The guy says, The store down the street charges 2 dollars a pound.

So buy them there, the grocer says.

He's out of tomatoes, the guy says.

Well, the grocer says, when I'm out of them, I charge a dollar a
pound.

Larry W March 13th 07 04:06 AM

Why not GFCI everywhere?

In article .com,
wrote:
I think that GFCI outlet look smarter than the regular outlets. Is
there a reason, other than cost) not to use them everywhere in the
house?

Thanks!

Aaron Fude

I'm still waiting to hear a good reason why ANY should be used :)

Seriously, if you like the look, outlets swtichers, and cover plates with
similar style are available at somewhat higher cost than standard items.

Oh, you would not want to use a GFCI on for instance, a refrigerator
circuit, because of "nuisance" trips.

plausible, and wrong." (Mencken)

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf.lonestar.org

Bud-- March 13th 07 07:30 PM

Why not GFCI everywhere?

wrote:

My usual question - from your vast connection to the rumor mill, what is
the status of the new "combination" AFCIs. Do physical manifestations of
this mythical creation exist? Will they soon? Many manufacturers? Do
they actually work?

Siemens says they have done it and they even claim the "series arc"
device is working. That has always been the holy grail.
"Combination" device only refers to an arc on the load side of the
receptacle as well as in wall wiring but it is still only parallel
arcs.

A good source of information on AFCIs is::
http://www.iaei.org/subscriber/magaz...gregmanche.htm
from IAEI News, January/February 2003,The Truth About AFCIs (Part 1)
(part 2 is at
http://www.iaei.org/subscriber/magaz...gregmanche.htm

According to the article, AFCIs aren’t specified to detect either series
or parallel arcs. The currently required “Branch/feeder” AFCIs are
required to detect 75A arcs. That will detect parallel arcs, but not
series arcs.

“Outlet circuit” AFCIs are required to detect 5A arcs, which will detect
series and parallel arcs.

The “Combination” AFCIs required by the NEC on 1-1-08 combine “Outlet
circuit” and “Branch/feeder” requirements, so they will detect both
series and parallel arcs.

--
bud--

David Nicoson March 13th 07 07:49 PM

Why not GFCI everywhere?

On Mar 13, 12:06 am, (Larry W) wrote:
Seriously, if you like the look, outlets swtichers, and cover plates with
similar style are available at somewhat higher cost than standard items.

Several people read this the way you did, but I'm pretty confident
that the original poster isn't talking about the aesthetics.
Substitute "appear to me to be a better choice" for "look smarter".

Chris Hill March 15th 07 03:30 PM

Why not GFCI everywhere?

On 12 Mar 2007 09:03:19 -0700, wrote:

I think that GFCI outlet look smarter than the regular outlets. Is
there a reason, other than cost) not to use them everywhere in the
house?

Put your hand on one that has been running for a while. The closest
one to me always stays warm. Sounds like a waste of electricity to
put them everywhere.

Curmudgeon March 15th 07 04:52 PM

Why not GFCI everywhere?

Chris Hill wrote:
On 12 Mar 2007 09:03:19 -0700, wrote:

I think that GFCI outlet look smarter than the regular outlets. Is
there a reason, other than cost) not to use them everywhere in the
house?

Put your hand on one that has been running for a while. The closest
one to me always stays warm. Sounds like a waste of electricity to
put them everywhere.

GFI outlets don't "use" electricity...they monitor it for miniscule
shorts...which can be deadly where there is water...which is why they
also aren't used in every circuit.

dke3591 March 15th 07 05:26 PM

Why not GFCI everywhere?

On Mar 15, 11:52 am, curmudgeon wrote:
Chris Hill wrote:
On 12 Mar 2007 09:03:19 -0700, wrote:

I think thatGFCIoutlet look smarter than the regular outlets. Is
there a reason, other than cost) not to use themeverywherein the
house?

Put your hand on one that has been running for a while. The closest
one to me always stays warm. Sounds like a waste of electricity to
put themeverywhere.

GFI outlets don't "use" electricity...they monitor it for miniscule
shorts...which can be deadly where there is water...which is why they
also aren't used in every circuit.

I think not only the reliablity factor, such as if it trips and you
don't know, you have spoiled food in the fridge, BUT ALSO, anything
with a surge when it turns on, like a fridge, may trip it every time
the fridge compressor starts, as the GFI does monitor for small
changes in current. I asked my electrician the very same question
about 2 years ago when I had my electric updated, and that's what he
told me, the motor's surge will probably always trip the GFI.

Mark Lloyd March 15th 07 05:56 PM

Why not GFCI everywhere?

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 12:52:15 -0400, curmudgeon
wrote:

Chris Hill wrote:
On 12 Mar 2007 09:03:19 -0700, wrote:

I think that GFCI outlet look smarter than the regular outlets. Is
there a reason, other than cost) not to use them everywhere in the
house?

Put your hand on one that has been running for a while. The closest
one to me always stays warm. Sounds like a waste of electricity to
put them everywhere.

GFI outlets don't "use" electricity...they monitor it for miniscule
shorts...which can be deadly where there is water...which is why they
also aren't used in every circuit.

They do use a little, enough to get warm.

Maybe that's what attracted the ants. I had on fail (with a buzzing
noise) a couple of years ago. The electrical box was full of ants and
ant ****.