DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   replacing a ceiling (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/194849-replacing-ceiling.html)

pandora March 12th 07 02:05 PM

replacing a ceiling

I'm considering replacing a stucco ceiling that has been painted
several times. Should I tear out the old one (knowing there's
insulation and years of dust up there) or should I just gyproc over
the existing ceiling?

Joseph Meehan March 12th 07 05:46 PM

replacing a ceiling

pandora wrote:
I'm considering replacing a stucco ceiling that has been painted
several times. Should I tear out the old one (knowing there's
insulation and years of dust up there) or should I just gyproc over
the existing ceiling?

Are you sure that is really stucco or just sort of looks like it. I
suspect it is a popcorn finish. It can be removed smoothed and refinished.

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/i...opcornoff.shtm

http://www.jasongraphix.com/archive/...rn_ceiling.php

and others

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Deke March 12th 07 09:49 PM

replacing a ceiling

On 12 Mar 2007 07:05:35 -0700, "pandora" wrote:

I'm considering replacing a stucco ceiling that has been painted
several times. Should I tear out the old one (knowing there's
insulation and years of dust up there) or should I just gyproc over
the existing ceiling?

If you have the time and money, then rip out the old and you will be
very happy with your completely new ceiling.

However, others will never know the difference so do it the cheap
and fast way.