Posted to alt.home.repair

Default installing kitchen cabinets

Hello all,
i am in the process of installing kitchen cabinets. I have everything
measured and have located all wall studs. I have a cabinet that is 12" W x
30" H. Unfortunately it falls in between 2 studs.
What types of anchors should i use when attaching it to the wall. Also,
there are cabinets on both sides of it. What size/type screws should i use
to attach the cabinet to the cabinets beside it, that will be anchored into
studs? I am using 14 x 2" screws to attach the cabinets to the studs.
regards
Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
DAC DAC is offline

On Mar 8, 9:11 am, "steve" sjwNOSPAMatripnet.com wrote:
Hello all,
i am in the process of installing kitchen cabinets. I have everything
measured and have located all wall studs. I have a cabinet that is 12" W x
30" H. Unfortunately it falls in between 2 studs.
What types of anchors should i use when attaching it to the wall. Also,
there are cabinets on both sides of it. What size/type screws should i use
to attach the cabinet to the cabinets beside it, that will be anchored into
studs? I am using 14 x 2" screws to attach the cabinets to the studs.
regards
Steve

All though not ideal by any means, you certianly could attach this
small cabinet to it's neighbor...it won't go anywhere if the others
are securely fastened to the wall. you could also put a spacer (to
compensate for the overhang of the face frame) between the backs of
the cabinets then fasten'em together to hold the back from moving from
side to side.

I'm going to guess that you're using the washer headed screws supplied
by the MFG? If you are...I'd toss them in a heart beat and use the
GRK cabinet screws http://www.grkfasteners.com/en/
CAB_1_information.htm. The torx heads are awesome...especially in
tight situations. In additon, GRK has trim head screws http://
www.grkfasteners.com/en/TRIM_0_information.htm that work very well to
attach the cabinet face frames to each other.

DAC

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi DAC,
There were no manufactureres screws supplied. I just bought my own. Can you
get the grkfasteners at home depot?
Not sure what you mean:
you could also put a spacer (to
compensate for the overhang of the face frame) between the backs of
the cabinets then fasten'em together to hold the back from moving from
side to side.

i bought the kitchen through home depot. They got one cabinet mixed up. I
wasn't impressed although they are nice looking cabinets
thanks'
Steve

"DAC" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sev Sev is offline

On Mar 8, 10:11?am, "steve" sjwNOSPAMatripnet.com wrote:
Hello all,
i am in the process of installing kitchen cabinets. I have everything
measured and have located all wall studs. I have a cabinet that is 12" W x
30" H. Unfortunately it falls in between 2 studs.
What types of anchors should i use when attaching it to the wall. Also,
there are cabinets on both sides of it. What size/type screws should i use
to attach the cabinet to the cabinets beside it, that will be anchored into
studs? I am using 14 x 2" screws to attach the cabinets to the studs.
regards
Steve

You might be able to use hang strips, though this could be a trick to
adapt to the particular cabinets you have. These are fir strips you
attach to wall and cabinets, with angle so that the cabinets don't
slide off. The ones on wall would run the full length of your cabinet
run, screwed to studs. Difficulty is that you'd have to notch sides
of cabinet where strip passes through. Carefull measuring required,
though the hang itself is real easy.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 8, 9:11 am, "steve" sjwNOSPAMatripnet.com wrote:
Hello all,
i am in the process of installing kitchen cabinets. I have everything
measured and have located all wall studs. I have a cabinet that is 12" W x
30" H. Unfortunately it falls in between 2 studs.
What types of anchors should i use when attaching it to the wall. Also,
there are cabinets on both sides of it. What size/type screws should i use
to attach the cabinet to the cabinets beside it, that will be anchored into
studs? I am using 14 x 2" screws to attach the cabinets to the studs.
regards
Steve

The cabinet will cover the wall, right? So mark where you want your
mounting screws to go, cut a 18" 1 x 3 and lay it on your marked area
and trace an outline. Cut away the drywall, cut a 3/4" x2 1/2" notch
in each stud, and nail the 1 x 3 in place. Hang your cabinet. Much
nicer than depending on some spooky drywall fastener that is only fit
for hanging pictures. If you use a jig saw with a blade ground off to
the right length you can have a nailing plate in place in under 10
minutes. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

If it is 1/2" drywall, you can use 1/2" plywood and avoid the notching.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DAC DAC is offline

On Mar 8, 10:35 am, "steve" sjwNOSPAMatripnet.com wrote:
Hi DAC,
There were no manufactureres screws supplied. I just bought my own. Can you
get the grkfasteners at home depot?
Not sure what you mean:

you could also put a spacer (to
compensate for the overhang of the face frame) between the backs of
the cabinets then fasten'em together to hold the back from moving from
side to side.

i bought the kitchen through home depot. They got one cabinet mixed up. I
wasn't impressed although they are nice looking cabinets
thanks'
Steve

"DAC" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Hi Steve,

No the screws aren't a BORG item...rather you'll need to get to a
decent lumber yard or building supply center. They really are worth
the effort to locate.

With regards to the spacer...I guess I'm assuming that you have
cabinets with a face frame...if not dis-regard, if so, look at the
side of the cabinet, where the face frame connects the side. It'll
overhang something like 1/8th inch on each cabinet for a total gap of
1/4" when 2 cabinets are side by side. While the fronts are tight
together, the sides and backs will have this 1/4" gap. Since the
cabinet won't be fastened to the wall, and the fronts are fastened to
it's neighbor, the backs wouldn't be supported. Put a 1/4" shim
between the cabinets and screw them to each other. With the
combination of the face frame fastened together, and the rear shimmed
and fastened, that cabinet wouldn't move for anything!

If you go this route, a barrel nut screw would work really well.

I hope this helps,

DAC