DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   engineered wood floors (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/194243-engineered-wood-floors.html)

DLK March 6th 07 02:41 PM

engineered wood floors

I am planning to install engineered wood floors (probably red oak,
natural) over a concrete subfloor in my condo. They will be glued
down. Many of the brands I have seen have a thin wear layer of wood
or look cheap. Have identified Mercier, Mirage, and Lauzon as brands
I am considering.

Does anyone have recommendations on a quality manufacturer with a
product that looks like "real" 3/4 in hardwood? Any experience with
the above mentioned brands?

Thanks.

Viewer March 6th 07 04:49 PM

engineered wood floors

I put in Award brand about 7 years ago and have been very pleased. At
the time Award was the only manufacturer that had the silica wear
layer in the finish coat. Aside from dings where things have dropped
on it I'm generally pleased. If I were to do it over I think I'd go
for the floating floor thinking ahead to eventual replacment. When it
comes time to replace, I know I'm going to be in for a real killer
headache with all that glue on my slab.

DLK March 6th 07 10:06 PM

engineered wood floors

On Mar 6, 11:49 am, "Viewer" wrote:
I put in Award brand about 7 years ago and have been very pleased. At
the time Award was the only manufacturer that had the silica wear
layer in the finish coat. Aside from dings where things have dropped
on it I'm generally pleased. If I were to do it over I think I'd go
for the floating floor thinking ahead to eventual replacment. When it
comes time to replace, I know I'm going to be in for a real killer
headache with all that glue on my slab

I hadn't thought about the glue issue...you are right. All I can
think of is that the floating floors would be moving all over the
place as the wood settles... I have not heard of Award. Did you get
it through a flooring place or elsewhere???

CJT March 7th 07 02:45 AM

engineered wood floors

DLK wrote:

I am planning to install engineered wood floors (probably red oak,
natural) over a concrete subfloor in my condo. They will be glued
down. Many of the brands I have seen have a thin wear layer of wood
or look cheap. Have identified Mercier, Mirage, and Lauzon as brands
I am considering.

Does anyone have recommendations on a quality manufacturer with a
product that looks like "real" 3/4 in hardwood? Any experience with
the above mentioned brands?

Thanks.

I dunno about that, but I think most of them are intended to float.

DLK March 7th 07 03:40 PM

engineered wood floors

--

Does anyone have advice on installing engineered wood floors over a
concrete subfloor in a 6th floor condo? Do you recommend floating the

Edwin Pawlowski March 7th 07 04:08 PM

engineered wood floors

"DLK" wrote in message
Does anyone have advice on installing engineered wood floors over a
concrete subfloor in a 6th floor condo? Do you recommend floating the
wood or gluing it down??? What about using a cork underlayment?

The manufacturer will have the best advice for their product. Floating
floors work well and are much more easily taken out 20 years later if that
is what you want to do. I used Mannington and they have an underlayment
just for it, one for above grade, another for below grade. Check
www.mannington.com

Goedjn March 7th 07 06:11 PM

engineered wood floors

On 7 Mar 2007 07:40:36 -0800, "DLK" wrote:

On Mar 6, 9:45 pm, CJT wrote:
DLK wrote:
I am planning to install engineered wood floors (probably red oak,
natural) over a concrete subfloor in my condo. They will be glued
down. Many of the brands I have seen have a thin wear layer of wood
or look cheap. Have identified Mercier, Mirage, and Lauzon as brands
I am considering.

Does anyone have recommendations on a quality manufacturer with a
product that looks like "real" 3/4 in hardwood? Any experience with
the above mentioned brands?

Thanks.

I dunno about that, but I think most of them are intended to float.

--

Does anyone have advice on installing engineered wood floors over a
concrete subfloor in a 6th floor condo? Do you recommend floating the
wood or gluing it down??? What about using a cork underlayment?

Float it. See if Homasote is cheaper than cork.