DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Cutting (or breaking) cast iron pipe (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/193765-cutting-breaking-cast-iron-pipe.html)

Steve Barker March 2nd 07 03:34 AM

Cutting (or breaking) cast iron pipe

I've got a cast iron soil vent stack exposed that I'd like to replace most
of with ABS. Is there a "non-hacksaw" way to cleanly cut or break this pipe
without some expensive tool?

thanks,

--
Steve Barker

Grandpa March 2nd 07 03:42 AM

Steve Barker wrote:
I've got a cast iron soil vent stack exposed that I'd like to replace most
of with ABS. Is there a "non-hacksaw" way to cleanly cut or break this pipe
without some expensive tool?

thanks,

Rent one of these:
http://wantasub1.stores.yahoo.net/manpipcut.html

--
Grandpa

Big_Jake March 2nd 07 03:47 AM

On Mar 1, 9:34 pm, "Steve Barker" wrote:
I've got a cast iron soil vent stack exposed that I'd like to replace most
of with ABS. Is there a "non-hacksaw" way to cleanly cut or break this pipe
without some expensive tool?

thanks,

--
Steve Barker

Be aware that water moves in a much louder way down PVC or ABS pipe vs
cast iron.

JK

Reed March 2nd 07 03:51 AM

Steve Barker wrote:
I've got a cast iron soil vent stack exposed that I'd like to replace most
of with ABS. Is there a "non-hacksaw" way to cleanly cut or break this pipe
without some expensive tool?

thanks,

Use a cold chisel.
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1292365

Excerpt from http://www.cispi.org/handbook.htm

Cast iron soil pipe may also be cut with a hammer and cold chisel. This
method of cutting is
very time consuming and should be used only if snap cutters are not
available. Again, protective
equipment, such as safety goggles, should be used. The procedure for
cutting soil pipe with a hammer
and chisel are as follows: (1) Measure the length to be cut and mark the
cut line completely
around the circumference of the pipe. (2) Place the mark to be cut on a
2 x 4 so the edge of the 2 x 4
is directly under the mark. (3) By striking the chisel with the hammer,
cut a groove following your
mark all the way around the circumference of the pipe. (4) Continue
cutting as outlined above in (3)
until the pipe is cut. This procedure may take several revolutions of
the pipe before it is cut.

Steve Barker March 2nd 07 04:01 AM

Cutting (or breaking) cast iron pipe

Thanks for the reply. It'll be in a chase with plenty of room for lots of
insulation, and it's a rental property.

--
Steve Barker

ups.com...

Steve Barker March 2nd 07 04:06 AM

Cutting (or breaking) cast iron pipe

Thanks for the reply, but I can't get all the way around this pipe where it
is installed.

--
Steve Barker

ink.net...

3G March 2nd 07 10:13 AM

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
| I've got a cast iron soil vent stack exposed that I'd like to replace
most
| of with ABS. Is there a "non-hacksaw" way to cleanly cut or break
this pipe
| without some expensive tool?
|
| thanks,
|
| --
| Steve Barker

sawz-all with an aggressive demo blade works every time.

[email protected] March 2nd 07 01:40 PM

Cutting (or breaking) cast iron pipe

ive used a sawzall with good success .