Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Swimming pool advice

Where does one go on the net (other than here) for advice on swimming
pools?

I'm building a pool soon, and would like impartial advice on, for
instance, the pros and cons of saline -based chlorinators versus ozone
generators. The problem is that the advice i see in this group came
from something called "people". Having read the advice I've found I've
come to the conclusion that "people" are very subjective in their
opinions. For example, dozens of posts are generated praising, then
slandering, one particular form of pool sanitation technology, which
then degenerates into dozens of messages questioning the ethics,
intelligence and general worth of the "people" involved. At the end of
which I am no closer to making a decision.

To the more reasonable and calmer "people" out there who have had a
similar experience, what resources did you use to arrive at your
decisions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 28, 1:52 pm, wrote:
[...]

Excuse me. "Something" called "people"? May I suggest that others
are persons, same as you? Certainly not "thing"s.

Funny how democracies are "messy" to some. Poor things!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
Where does one go on the net (other than here) for advice on swimming
pools?

Your local pool supplier can be a big help. They usually have free water
testing, and this tells you a lot more about your pool than you'll see with
the basic test kits.

I'm building a pool soon, and would like impartial advice on, for
instance, the pros and cons of saline -based chlorinators versus ozone
generators. The problem is that the advice i see in this group came
from something called "people". Having read the advice I've found I've
come to the conclusion that "people" are very subjective in their
opinions. For example, dozens of posts are generated praising, then
slandering, one particular form of pool sanitation technology, which
then degenerates into dozens of messages questioning the ethics,
intelligence and general worth of the "people" involved. At the end of
which I am no closer to making a decision.

Some people just have too much time on their hands, are anal, are just angry
people, or like to shriek.

To the more reasonable and calmer "people" out there who have had a
similar experience, what resources did you use to arrive at your
decisions?

I got a lot of mine from the pool store and from practical experience
garnered from five years of trial and error education by owning a pool.

Coming to Usenet for pool advice is shaky at best, because pools in
different parts of the country are different. They are different because of
the water, the climate, rain, lack of rain, wind, temperature, etc. So, the
advice you get may be good advice if you live near the poster, but not so
good if you live in another climate zone where the same information may be
worthless.

Start local and go from there. It isn't rocket surgery, and you need to
learn about how it works where YOU live.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote
Where does one go on the net (other than here) for advice on swimming
pools?

I'm building a pool soon, and would like impartial advice on, for
instance, the pros and cons of saline -based chlorinators versus ozone
generators. The problem is that the advice i see in this group came
from something called "people". Having read the advice I've found I've
come to the conclusion that "people" are very subjective in their
opinions. For example, dozens of posts are generated praising, then
slandering, one particular form of pool sanitation technology, which
then degenerates into dozens of messages questioning the ethics,
intelligence and general worth of the "people" involved. At the end of
which I am no closer to making a decision.

==
Heh, you come here and tell us we're all idiots, then ask the idiots to lead
you elsewhere for advice.
Interesting. Obviously you rank far above Usenet "people," making it an
unsuitable venue for
your inquiry. Why don't you go to Amazon and buy a book? Hey, I know! I have
a poodle. He's
not a "people." Would you like his email address? All he's doing is lying
here on the floor wishing
someone would email him. His name's Marley and he's been in the pool
business for years--He follows me everywhere
when I'm working on the pool and doesn't miss a trick. Tell him I sent you.
It'll be good for extra treats.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 28, 12:20 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

.... local "biology" included ...

So, the advice you get may be good advice if you live
near the poster, but not so good if you live in another
climate zone where the same information may be
worthless.

Start local and go from there. It isn't rocket surgery,
and you need to learn about how it works where YOU live.

I concur with Steve B's advice.

Personally I like ozone - bromine systems, but ozone systems can be
cantankerous... especially if you go cheap and install (and / or
protect) poorly. But I used to design and sell ozone, so I know what
to watch for.

Any "automated" system has its price, both now and in the future.

David A. Smith

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 28, 1:20 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
snip
It isn't rocket surgery, and you need to
learn about how it works where YOU live.

Steve

The corollary to 'rocket surgery' is 'brain science', right? G

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Feb 28, 1:20 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
snip
It isn't rocket surgery, and you need to
learn about how it works where YOU live.

Steve

The corollary to 'rocket surgery' is 'brain science', right? G

Joe

paraphrased from Dave Barry .......

I like this newsgroup, because like my dog, you can say any foolish thing,
and people will look at you and say, "Gee, I know exactly what you're
talking about," or "Gee, you're a genius. I would have never looked at it
like that."

Funny how in life, we hear things that are totally incorrect, yet understand
perfectly what the person is saying.

Except, of course, for the English teachers and the anal retentive.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
Where does one go on the net (other than here) for advice on swimming
pools?

I'm building a pool soon, and would like impartial advice on, for
instance, the pros and cons of saline -based chlorinators versus ozone
generators. The problem is that the advice i see in this group came
from something called "people". Having read the advice I've found I've
come to the conclusion that "people" are very subjective in their
opinions. For example, dozens of posts are generated praising, then
slandering, one particular form of pool sanitation technology, which
then degenerates into dozens of messages questioning the ethics,
intelligence and general worth of the "people" involved. At the end of
which I am no closer to making a decision.

You don't trust us, but you ask anyway.

To the more reasonable and calmer "people" out there who have had a
similar experience, what resources did you use to arrive at your
decisions?

And how will you determine who is more reasonable?

Go to your local pool supply stores and pool contractors and ask them.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 19:22:01 GMT, "Gini" wrote:

wrote
[...]

Who gets the treats? Marley or Derek?

That's , right?
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 17:29:12 -0500, "Charles Schuler"
wrote:

You don't trust us, but you ask anyway.

To the more reasonable and calmer "people" out there who have had a
similar experience, what resources did you use to arrive at your
decisions?

And how will you determine who is more reasonable?

I forget the name of the column in the the inside front cover of
Parade magazine, in the Sunday paper. People wrote in and asked
questions.

One day during the Viet Nam war, they printed a letter from someone
asking about the war, Who should we believe, the press or the
politicians? And the column answered, with details, The Press.

Of course. Who did he ask?

Go to your local pool supply stores and pool contractors and ask them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charles Schuler" writes:

wrote in message
ups.com...
Where does one go on the net (other than here) for advice on swimming
pools?

I'm building a pool soon, and would like impartial advice on, for
instance, the pros and cons of saline -based chlorinators versus ozone
generators. The problem is that the advice i see in this group came
from something called "people". Having read the advice I've found I've
come to the conclusion that "people" are very subjective in their
opinions. For example, dozens of posts are generated praising, then
slandering, one particular form of pool sanitation technology, which
then degenerates into dozens of messages questioning the ethics,
intelligence and general worth of the "people" involved. At the end of
which I am no closer to making a decision.

You don't trust us, but you ask anyway.

The nerve!

To the more reasonable and calmer "people" out there who have had a
similar experience, what resources did you use to arrive at your
decisions?

And how will you determine who is more reasonable?

Go to your local pool supply stores and pool contractors and ask them.

A suitable punishment!

I liked the free water test suggestion too.
Funny how expensive those free water tests can be.

Want good advice?

Come here, ask questions, only accept the right answers.
Simple isn't it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote
"Gini" wrote:

wrote
Where does one go on the net (other than here) for advice on swimming
pools?

The problem is that the advice i see in this group came
from something called "people".

==

I have
a poodle. He's
not a "people." Would you like his email address? All he's doing is lying
here on the floor wishing
someone would email him. His name's Marley and he's been in the pool
business for years--He follows me everywhere
when I'm working on the pool and doesn't miss a trick. Tell him I sent
you.
It'll be good for extra treats.

Who gets the treats? Marley or Derek?

==
Why Derek, of course (since he's clearly not a "people").
==
That's , right?

==
Ha! That's just what he wants "people" to think.