Posted to alt.home.repair
Les Les is offline

Default Firex Smoke Alarm Detector Problem

I have Firex smoke alarm detectors for the bedrooms. (Apparently put in by
builder.) One went off
sporadically last night. There was no smoke. I noticed that the green
light blinks periodically, but I
saw, or thought I saw, it red periodically. Has anyone out there had a
similar problem?

Guess I will go down to Home Depot and get a new one, since documentation
says to replace every
10 years. The model has been discontinued, and when I tried calling the
company, Invensys, the
phone has been disconnected.

Sure would appreciate any suggestions....

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

I think they all have similar problems eventually. I suppose they get an
accumulation of dust in them causing false tripping. If it's ten years old,
replace them all, they're cheap enough

"Les" wrote in message
I have Firex smoke alarm detectors for the bedrooms. (Apparently put in by
builder.) One went off
sporadically last night. There was no smoke. I noticed that the green
light blinks periodically, but I
saw, or thought I saw, it red periodically. Has anyone out there had a
similar problem?

Guess I will go down to Home Depot and get a new one, since documentation
says to replace every
10 years. The model has been discontinued, and when I tried calling the
company, Invensys, the
phone has been disconnected.

Sure would appreciate any suggestions....

Posted to alt.home.repair

The model has been discontinued,

What model is it? The green light usually indicates that AC power is
present. It should be a steady green light.......usually. The red
light usually indicates: 1) of unit self testing ( if flashes every
minute or so).... this is normal, and/or 2) if will flash every second
or so.......with also the audible alarm sounding- this indicates that
the unit is sensing a smoke condition.

If unit beeps every once in a while...............then this indicates
that the internal battery should be replaced. It is usually a 9 volt
battery.

I have attached a link to an operators manual for Firex smoke
alarms.............your model, if not there, should be very similiar.
This should help you out. You will have to zoom in to 100% in order to
read it. Hope it helps.

http://www.icca.invensys.com/interna...s/111-276C.pdf

Dean

Posted to alt.home.repair

Les wrote:
I have Firex smoke alarm detectors for the bedrooms. (Apparently put in by
builder.) One went off
sporadically last night. There was no smoke. I noticed that the green
light blinks periodically, but I
saw, or thought I saw, it red periodically. Has anyone out there had a
similar problem?

Guess I will go down to Home Depot and get a new one, since documentation
says to replace every
10 years. The model has been discontinued, and when I tried calling the
company, Invensys, the
phone has been disconnected.

Sure would appreciate any suggestions....

Don't overlook the possibility that an insect may have crawled in and
caused the tripping. I've had that happen in our home more than once.

Spray a little RAID around (but not into) the detector.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 26, 9:02 am, "Les" wrote:
I have Firex smoke alarm detectors for the bedrooms. (Apparently put in by
builder.) One went off
sporadically last night. There was no smoke. I noticed that the green
light blinks periodically, but I
saw, or thought I saw, it red periodically. Has anyone out there had a
similar problem?

Guess I will go down to Home Depot and get a new one, since documentation
says to replace every
10 years. The model has been discontinued, and when I tried calling the
company, Invensys, the
phone has been disconnected.

Sure would appreciate any suggestions....

If it went off at a reasonable time, be happy. They always seem to
false alarm at around 3:30 AM. As cheap as they are, you are probably
best off replacing it, and they should all be replaced every 10 years
as someone else noted.

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 10:02:53 -0500, "Les"
wrote:

I have Firex smoke alarm detectors for the bedrooms. (Apparently put in by
builder.) One went off
sporadically last night. There was no smoke. I noticed that the green
light blinks periodically, but I
saw, or thought I saw, it red periodically. Has anyone out there had a
similar problem?

Guess I will go down to Home Depot and get a new one, since documentation
says to replace every
10 years. The model has been discontinued, and when I tried calling the
company, Invensys, the
phone has been disconnected.

Sure would appreciate any suggestions....

Not a solid green, check the power supply and I wonder, how old are
they?

tom @ www.MedJobSite.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

I have Firex smoke alarm detectors for the bedrooms. (Apparently put in by
builder.) One went off
sporadically last night. There was no smoke. I noticed that the green

How do you know there was no smoke?

A neighbor had a smoke alarm going off sporadically, so he removed the
detector to get it repaired. I don't know where they repair
detectors, but nonetheless, days or weeks later a fire broke out in
the clock of his stove. Burned out the whole kitchen and smoke damage
elsewhere. Maybe water damage under the kitchen also.

These things are sensitve and will alarm when smoke levels are below
what your nose can sense.

Smoke Detector Woes RPN Home Repair 5 November 6th 06 11:06 PM
Smoke detector and CO detector installed next to each other? [email protected] Home Repair 2 October 16th 05 02:46 AM
Firex Smoke/CO Alarm Problems Barney H. Home Ownership 4 February 1st 05 05:20 AM
Firex Smoke/CO Alarm Problems Barney H. Home Ownership 0 October 27th 04 03:59 PM
Mains powered smoke detector with alarm accept loop. Z UK diy 8 May 20th 04 02:45 AM