Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wet saw breaks tile at end of cut

replying to Jack P, Gtbread wrote:
Thank you for the information it is timeless .i will try it when I start
cutting tile for my project again .

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ut-198524-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Sam Hill, CactussJack wrote:
Hi Guys, Cactus Jack here. Thanks for the suggestions, now I can finally
finish my tile job!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ut-198524-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to DerbyDad03, Hiram1999 wrote:
Best response quote I've seen.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ut-198524-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Sam Hill, Caleb Stephens wrote:
Maybe he wasn't but I had the same problem today and was looking for a
solution. Thanks everyone!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ut-198524-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hello, all. I recently bought a 7" wet tile saw. Nothing fancy, just an inexpensive Home Depot saw.
The saw does a great job of cutting; however, on some types of tile, at the end of the cut it tends to chip or break a corner off the tile.
Does anyone know a way to prevent this from happening? \
The only thing I've found that seems to help is to slow down the tile feed to a creep as I approach the edge of the tile, but this does not always prevent the chipping.
Thanks, Jack

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/19/2018 11:21 PM, Cactus Jack wrote:
Hello, all. I recently bought a 7" wet tile saw. Nothing fancy, just
an inexpensive Home Depot saw.
The saw does a great job of cutting; however, on some types of tile,
at the end of the cut it tends to chip or break a corner off the tile.
Does anyone know a way to prevent this from happening? \
The only thing I've found that seems to help is to slow down the tile
feed to a creep as I approach the edge of the tile, but this does not
always prevent the chipping.
Thanks, Jack

Push the tile thru with a scrap piece . That way the trailing edge will
be supported as it clears the blade .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't know how much tiling you do.

Last time, I just did one room.

I broke some tiles cutting them too. I had spare tiles, of course, but rather than break them all! I got smart.

I marked the tiles I needed cut. I took them back to the store where I bought them. For ten cents each, they cut them perfectly. That ten cents saved a $100 worth of frustration.

If you were doing a huge project maybe that ten cents would add up. Not for most of us though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/20/2018 7:57 AM, TimR wrote:
I don't know how much tiling you do.

Last time, I just did one room.

I broke some tiles cutting them too. I had spare tiles, of course, but rather than break them all! I got smart.

I marked the tiles I needed cut. I took them back to the store where I bought them. For ten cents each, they cut them perfectly. That ten cents saved a $100 worth of frustration.

If you were doing a huge project maybe that ten cents would add up. Not for most of us though.

Â* Who are you talking to ? You have removed all attributions from the
post ... FWIW I made a living from tile (and other home repair)work for
several years , and the technique I described works very well .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Sam Hill, Roger J. Bos wrote:
Ok, but don't the replies still help other people with the same questions? I
am reading this.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ut-198524-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Aug 2018 07:47:09 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 8/19/2018 11:21 PM, Cactus Jack wrote:
Hello, all. I recently bought a 7" wet tile saw. Nothing fancy, just
an inexpensive Home Depot saw.
The saw does a great job of cutting; however, on some types of tile,
at the end of the cut it tends to chip or break a corner off the tile.
Does anyone know a way to prevent this from happening? \
The only thing I've found that seems to help is to slow down the tile
feed to a creep as I approach the edge of the tile, but this does not
always prevent the chipping.
Thanks, Jack

Push the tile thru with a scrap piece . That way the trailing edge will
be supported as it clears the blade .

I have never cut tile myself, but i once watched a guy doing it and he
put masking tape on the cut mark. He put the mark on the tape and cut
thru the tape. I think the purpose was to reinforce the tile, but I'm
not sure. Maybe he was just making it easier to see the mark. But why
not try it. Grab some scrap tiles and give it a shot. The blade will cut
thru the tape easily. so it cant hurt to try.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Yme Yme is offline

replying to Sam Hill, Yme wrote:
Information here has been very helpful and its 2018 approaching 2019. Thank you

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ut-198524-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Sam Hill, Solitarytaco wrote:
Other people read this to get tips 12 years later. Chill the %&@# out

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ut-198524-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/6/2019 11:14 PM, Solitarytaco wrote:
replying to Sam Hill, Solitarytaco wrote:
Other people read this to get tips 12 years later.Â*Â* Chill the %&@# out

thank you for participating in the home-owners-hub.com click-bait program.