Posted to alt.home.repair

Default WATER HEATER MOBILE HOME ??

Friends recently replaced the water heater in their mobile home.

They had to buy a "Mobile Home" water heater.

I looked at the installation;
It LOOKS like a normal size water heater.
It runs on natural gas.

I know that in years past, some mobile water heaters
( electric ) run on 110 volts only....
( gas ) run on LP only.

Other than that, what's special ?

Why couldn't a regular residential gas water heater be used ?

rj
Posted to alt.home.repair

--
Save the earth. It's the only planet with chocolate and Starbucks!!
BetsyB

"RJ" wrote in message

Friends recently replaced the water heater in their mobile home.

They had to buy a "Mobile Home" water heater.

I looked at the installation;
It LOOKS like a normal size water heater.
It runs on natural gas.

I know that in years past, some mobile water heaters
( electric ) run on 110 volts only....
( gas ) run on LP only.

Other than that, what's special ?

Why couldn't a regular residential gas water heater be used ?

rj

You can use either but the one specifically for "Mobile" homes costs more?
It really depends on the space you are placing it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"RJ" wrote:

Friends recently replaced the water heater in their mobile home.

They had to buy a "Mobile Home" water heater.

I looked at the installation;
It LOOKS like a normal size water heater.
It runs on natural gas.

I know that in years past, some mobile water heaters
( electric ) run on 110 volts only....
( gas ) run on LP only.

Other than that, what's special ?

Why couldn't a regular residential gas water heater be used ?

rj

Water heaters for mobile homes are sealed combustion. The heater
has to take its air supply from outside the living area. My old water
heater looked normal. Its air intake came out of the bottom of the
heater and drew the air from below my house.
I had to replace my water heater a couple years ago. The
installation instructions for regular water heaters I looked at
specifically said that they couldn't be used in mobile homes.

Dean

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, fire hazard. If you use a regular water heater and God forbid the
house burns down, the insurance company may not cover it if they find
out the homeowner replaced the water heater and didn't use the right
one. Maybe most insurance companies would still pay but I wouldn't
chance it. Give a payor an out and they are likely to take it.