DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Switch near tub (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/193037-switch-near-tub.html)

Gary February 22nd 07 05:36 AM

Switch near tub

I'm wiring for a reading light in the ceiling above my soaker tub. I was going to wire it to an air switch that was going to go into the rim of the tub. Can I use a decora switch on the wall next to the tub and run it to a relay that would control the light?

Thx
Gary

RBM February 22nd 07 12:09 PM

Switch near tub

Sure

Goedjn February 22nd 07 07:09 PM

Switch near tub

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 12:32:23 -0500, wrote:

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 05:36:28 GMT, "Gary" wrote:

I'm wiring for a reading light in the ceiling above my soaker tub. I was going to wire it to an air switch that was going to go into the rim of the tub. Can I use a decora switch on the wall next to the tub and run it to a relay that would control the light?

Thx
Gary

The only rule about switches is that they can't be inside "tub space",
the area above the tub. The light itself is another issue. Is is above
8'? If not it needs to be "wet location" rated

If I understand correctly, an airswitch is a pneumatic device
placed near a wet location, that activates an electrical switch
elsewhere. That SHOULD be legal in/near a tub enclosure.
That is, after all, what they're designed for.

Gary February 23rd 07 05:33 PM

Switch near tub

It is at 8'1", but I am putting in a wet location fixture yes. So there is
a code on LV switches?

Goedjn February 23rd 07 06:38 PM

Switch near tub

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 17:34:00 GMT, "Gary" wrote:

Yup, but I wanted to avoid the air switch.

"Goedjn" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 12:32:23 -0500, wrote:

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 05:36:28 GMT, "Gary" wrote:

I'm wiring for a reading light in the ceiling above my soaker tub. I was
going to wire it to an air switch that was going to go into the rim of
the tub. Can I use a decora switch on the wall next to the tub and run
it to a relay that would control the light?

Thx
Gary

The only rule about switches is that they can't be inside "tub space",
the area above the tub. The light itself is another issue. Is is above
8'? If not it needs to be "wet location" rated

If I understand correctly, an airswitch is a pneumatic device
placed near a wet location, that activates an electrical switch
elsewhere. That SHOULD be legal in/near a tub enclosure.
That is, after all, what they're designed for.

Use a string, then. Or a long plastic rod.
Or turn on the light before getting into the tub.
You shouldn't have an electrical switch
reachable from the tub, even if it is low-voltage.