Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Storage Near Furnace and Hot Water Heater

Hello,
Recently purchased a place with little storage. The main floor has a
small area where the furnace and hot water heater are set up. There
is an area approximately 3 ft. wide by 5 ft. deep that is empty next
to them. Can I use this as storage? It seems like quite a bit of
extra room and the place is brand new. I was thinking a shelving
system or similar to store brooms, ironing boards, vacuum cleaner,
etc. (no chemicals, obviously).

Thanks for your thoughts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,
Recently purchased a place with little storage. The main floor has a
small area where the furnace and hot water heater are set up. There
is an area approximately 3 ft. wide by 5 ft. deep that is empty next
to them. Can I use this as storage? It seems like quite a bit of
extra room and the place is brand new. I was thinking a shelving
system or similar to store brooms, ironing boards, vacuum cleaner,
etc. (no chemicals, obviously).

Thanks for your thoughts.

The heater may have some stickers saying how much clearance is needed. The
minimum is usually 12" or so. Check the owners manual or check to see if
there is one on line.

Next is service, You must have access for service to filters, burners, etc.
Since you will be paying for service by the hour, make it easy for the tech
and your wallet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,
Recently purchased a place with little storage. The main floor has a
small area where the furnace and hot water heater are set up. There
is an area approximately 3 ft. wide by 5 ft. deep that is empty next
to them. Can I use this as storage? It seems like quite a bit of
extra room and the place is brand new. I was thinking a shelving
system or similar to store brooms, ironing boards, vacuum cleaner,
etc. (no chemicals, obviously).

Nothing combustible (paper or poly or cloth), and keep in mind you'll have
to drag it all out of there anytime anyone needs to work on the furnace or
water heater. Leave at least a foot of air space around the furnace and
water heater.

Personally, the most I would put in there is stuff that would hang on wall
hooks, and still leave a clear zone.

aem sends...