Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rusted Hot Water Base Board Cover

The cover in our bathroom over the hot water base board has rust speckles.
The original paint job is factory bonded. Is there a way to repaint this and
remove the rust speckles without stripping down the whole thing?

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Feb 19, 3:15 pm, Michael Bushey wrote:
The cover in our bathroom over the hot water base board has rust speckles.
The original paint job is factory bonded. Is there a way to repaint this and
remove the rust speckles without stripping down the whole thing?

If you can remove the rusted part, you could just rub it down with
phosphoric acid and steel wool and then wet-sand with 400 grit and
repaint.

The acid may or may not take off the factory finish, depending on what
it is.

If you really want it to look like new, you could have it
powdercoated, although a new heater is probably cheaper.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 19, 3:15 pm, Michael Bushey wrote:
The cover in our bathroom over the hot water base board has rust speckles.
The original paint job is factory bonded. Is there a way to repaint this and
remove the rust speckles without stripping down the whole thing?

The first thing you have to do is stop ****ing on it. You can buy
replacement covers at HD and then add a few coats of polyurethane.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Michael Bushey" wrote in message
. ..
The cover in our bathroom over the hot water base board has rust speckles.
The original paint job is factory bonded. Is there a way to repaint this
and
remove the rust speckles without stripping down the whole thing?

Sand it down, primer, then finish paint. If you don't get all the rust off,
it will just come back in a short time. The only 100% positive way to
eliminate it in the future is to sit when you pee and close the lid when you
flush.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 15:43:53 -0500, N8N wrote
Since I am the only male in the family and a surgeon I will try better aiming
procedures in the future.

(in article . com):

On Feb 19, 3:15 pm, Michael Bushey wrote:
The cover in our bathroom over the hot water base board has rust speckles.
The original paint job is factory bonded. Is there a way to repaint this and
remove the rust speckles without stripping down the whole thing?

If you can remove the rusted part, you could just rub it down with
phosphoric acid and steel wool and then wet-sand with 400 grit and
repaint.

The acid may or may not take off the factory finish, depending on what
it is.

If you really want it to look like new, you could have it
powdercoated, although a new heater is probably cheaper.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Michael Bushey" wrote in message
. ..
The cover in our bathroom over the hot water base board has rust speckles.
The original paint job is factory bonded. Is there a way to repaint this
and
remove the rust speckles without stripping down the whole thing?

Both Rust-oleum's rust conversion product (forgot the name) and Loc-tite's
'Rust Extender' convert the rust oxide from an oxidized surface to a more
stable compound - kida like the difference between ionic and covalent bonds
between atoms in their outer rings (appealing to your scientific mind, if I
actually go that right). You are actually encourage to only remove the
loose rust and *not* sand down to bare metal so taht there is enough
material for the conversion. I have used the product and after the process
is properly done there is little pitting of the surface where, otherwise,
material would be missing. If pitting remains which you cannot live with
just stop at an automotive body supply shop and ask for a tube of glazing
compound (someone can help out if there is a more proper name). I've had
teh sme tube for 15 years and it's still good. You just lay it on, allow to
dry and sand off excess, filling the depression. Prime and paint.
HTH,
Chuck