Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Carpet pad on top of hardwood floor

I'm looking for a nonskid carpet pad to use for an area rug on top of
a hardwood floor. I'm a leery of the rubbery mesh ones that are
offered for this, because there is a large area on the wood in front
of one of the doors with that exact pattern on it -- I think someone
used a pad like that and it stuck to the wood floor and damaged the
floor (I've seen scatter rugs with nonskid backing get stuck to the
floor, especially if they've been in place a long time). The pads
I've seen stress that they will keep the rug from slipping but omit
any reference to not damaging the floor.

I bought a pad that is sort of like thick felt impregnated with rubber
specifically because it was guaranteed not to damage wood floors (the
fact that this pad's description mentioned the possibility of floor
damage added to my concern about using other types of pads).
Unfortunately, it doesn't stick to either the floor or the rug as well
as I'd like. I'm using it under a runner, and I find myself always
having to twitch the runner back onto the pad and slide pad and rug
back into position. It keeps the rug in place better than no pad, but
it's not ideal.

Does anyone know what type of compound (rubber, latex, vinyl, etc.)
can be used for a pad on top of hardwood without running the risk of
having it damage the floor if not moved regularly?

Hope I've made this clear and not simply confusing! Thanks in advance
for any advice.

Jo Ann

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 19 Feb 2007 09:04:14 -0800, "hillacc at yahoo.com"
wrote:

[...]

It depends more on what the finish is, than anything else.
We always used the ring seals from ball jars..

Posted to alt.home.repair

Unfortunately, since I did not live here when the floors were
finished, I have no idea what the finish is.

Jo Ann

On Feb 19, 1:24 pm, Goedjn wrote:
On 19 Feb 2007 09:04:14 -0800, "hillacc at yahoo.com"

It depends more on what the finish is, than anything else.
We always used the ring seals from ball jars..

n- Hide quoted text -