Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How deep to bury posts for fence?

I am going to try to put up some wood fences 6' tall located in south
Florida.

I talked to one contractor and they told me they will need to dig the post
24" deep and pour concrete. Some told me 48" deep. Some said 24" deep at
intermediate posts but 48" deep at corners or gate posts. Any idea what is
a good depth?

I am now thinking I will do it myself.

The posts will be spaced 4' apart. The post will be dug XXX inches deep and
with concrete. Now regarding the standard dog eared pressure trested
privacy wood fence panels, they come in 6'x8' so they will have to be nailed
onto three posts. The panels have three horizontal pieces of wood. If I
nail them right onto the posts, the panel will "stick out" by the width of
the wood member. Should I notch the post a little so the horizontal member
would be mounted flushed?

Thanks in advance,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 19, 10:53 am, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
I am going to try to put up some wood fences 6' tall located in south
Florida.

I talked to one contractor and they told me they will need to dig the post
24" deep and pour concrete. Some told me 48" deep. Some said 24" deep at
intermediate posts but 48" deep at corners or gate posts. Any idea what is
a good depth?

There are three types of posts in a fence design. they a corner
posts, bracing posts, and line posts. Your design only uses corner
posts and line posts.

Corner posts are usually given different treatment than line posts.
Just sink the corner posts in concrete and leave the line posts with
plain soil or some kind of good draining material. 24 inches is good
enough for all of them. that way you can bury 8 foot posts two feet
deep. When fences fail it's almost never because the posts came out
of the ground.

The posts will be spaced 4' apart. The post will be dug XXX inches deep and
with concrete. Now regarding the standard dog eared pressure trested
privacy wood fence panels, they come in 6'x8' so they will have to be nailed
onto three posts. The panels have three horizontal pieces of wood. If I
nail them right onto the posts, the panel will "stick out" by the width of
the wood member. Should I notch the post a little so the horizontal member
would be mounted flushed?

Notching the post is unecessary but when it's your fence you can build
it any way you want. Although the panel will stick out it will look
just the same as any other fence since they are all built that way.
Spacing your posts at 4 feet is too much work. 8 feet is adequate
spacing between post.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

A lot of decisions depend on the type of soil and local weather conditions.
In my area a rule of thumb is to bury one foot for every 1 1/2 foot of
fence, a 6' high fence would have posts 4 feet in the ground. This is
because if the frost gets under the post it will push it upwards, secondly
is because our soil is clay loam which can get soft in spring allowing a
fence to be pushed over by winds.

Your area doesn't have frost, and there is no spring to create muddy
conditions and your soil is probably sandy however you do have a lot of wind
including hurricanes. A 6 foot fence that only has 2 feet in sandy soil
would probably suffer from strong winds and be tilted if it stayed in the
ground. Personally, I would go deeper and use posts as you wanted, simply
because it is more time, frustration and money to re-do the fence if it
fails, I like doing things once.

"Lawrence" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 11:53:28 -0500, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

[...]

The appropriate depth will vary according to what you've
got for dirt, and what your expected wind-load is.
If you're doing it yourself, set the posts as deep as your
rented soil-auger will go. I wouldn't notch the posts, less
because it sacrifices strength than because each cut is
an invitation to rot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:
I am going to try to put up some wood fences 6' tall located in south
Florida.

I talked to one contractor and they told me they will need to dig the post
24" deep and pour concrete. Some told me 48" deep. Some said 24" deep at
intermediate posts but 48" deep at corners or gate posts. Any idea what is
a good depth?

Thanks in advance,

MC

Here's a novel idea, contact your local building department. Or, you can
hope someone from around the globe has the correct answer for you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
[...]

Good rule of thump 1/3 the height. 6' = 2" deep. Another thing to do if you
are going to poor concrete around the post put about 6" of gravel around the
post otherwise your just making a bucket to hold water around the post.Even
a couple shovel loads of dirt is better than just concrete. Don't think PT
is not going to rot . Another option witch would be even better is metal
post I have even seen them with brackets welded to them to hold your 2X4
runners.

Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:
I am going to try to put up some wood fences 6' tall located in south
Florida.

Consider 2.5" metal posts. They're cheaper, stronger, need less foundation,
never rot, and are easier to work with. With ours, we drilled them and used
lag-bolts to attach horizontal runners. The pickets were screwed to the
runners.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 19, 2:17 pm, Hayes wrote:
MiamiCuse wrote:
I am going to try to put up some wood fences 6' tall located in south
Florida.

I talked to one contractor and they told me they will need to dig the post
24" deep and pour concrete. Some told me 48" deep. Some said 24" deep at
intermediate posts but 48" deep at corners or gate posts. Any idea what is
a good depth?
Thanks in advance,

MC

Here's a novel idea, contact your local building department. Or, you can
hope someone from around the globe has the correct answer for you.

I cannot find the post depth requirements, I will keep on looking. I
talked to a few contractors who said it does not matter what it is
because every one does it 24" deep anyways.

I did find that posts have to be 4' apart since hurricane Andrew came
through in 92. So I have to do it 4' apart even though it is a lot
more posts.

Thanks,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 19, 4:34 pm, "Sacramento Dave" wrote:
"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

[...]

Metal posts? Can you elaborate? Do yo umean the metal posts used by
chain linked fences?

Thanks,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

oups.com...
"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

[...]

You can build your own board by board with out seeing the posts on either
side. I put mine 8 foot apart 24 in ground 1 bag of cement for every post
dog eared pickets are about one dollar at HD nail the 3 pt 2x4 between
the 4x4 posts horizontally one at 3ft from ground one 6 inches from the top
and one 6 inches from the bottom I like the shadow box style I use a
standard 4 foot aluminum level for a spacer between pickets.

Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

On 19 Feb 2007 14:43:24 -0800, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

On Feb 19, 2:17 pm, Hayes wrote:
MiamiCuse wrote:
[...]

Again, ask your local building dept.; they will tell you the
appropriate depth. I would imagine that in Florida you can probably
go with 24", but up in western New York by Lake Ontario, where the
ground freezes, we have to go 42" deep to avoid frost heave.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Metal posts? Can you elaborate? Do yo umean the metal posts used by
chain linked fences?

Thanks,

MC

I saw them at a hardware store in the Seattle area. They were a 2" diameter
like a chain link fence but they had brackets welded on the to hold your 2X4
runners. I have also seen quiet a few wood fences using metal post so I'm
sure there more than one manufacturer and type. If I was going to build a
fence for myself I would hunt them dawn.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
[...]

do yourself a favor and just split the difference. buy 9' 4x4's and sink
them 3' into the ground for a 6' fence. if you want stronger corners use
cement.

mike.........

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

[...]

Simpson Strongtie sells oversized pipe stirrups for just this
purpose.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Feb 19, 2:17 pm, Hayes wrote:
MiamiCuse wrote:
[...]

Almost anywhere in the Miami area, if your post hole is more than 2' deep
the bottom will probably be sitting in water --

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JimR" wrote in message
ink.net...

wrote:

On Feb 19, 2:17 pm, Hayes wrote:
MiamiCuse wrote:
[...]

So may be I should dig 28", put in 4" of sand and gravel then put in post,
and add concrete cement around it.

MC

How deep to bury oil pipes? NickW UK diy 14 September 25th 17 09:53 AM
Concrete Fence Posts John UK diy 17 December 18th 06 05:52 PM
how deep to bury conduit? KLS Home Ownership 13 December 6th 06 01:37 AM
Extending Fence Posts ianjones Home Repair 12 October 13th 06 09:40 PM
Garden fence posts Mortimer UK diy 8 February 6th 04 12:50 PM