Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Getting Rid of Mice in Basement

A reminder-RODENTS EAT FECES.

On Feb 17, 2:16 pm, (Malcolm Hoar) wrote:
In article , mm wrote:
at our cabin I wnt to the traps. Three mice later I didn't have another
infestation for a couple of months,

I have this too. and this is my big question, the part I don't get.
They tell me mice reproduce quickly, so how come if I kill two or
three, or even if I just straigten up the house, they disappear for
months at a time? Did I scare them away. Are they hiding and eating
food they stockpiled, or getting hungry. I thought they had to eat
every day or two.

For a couple weeks I would hear what were probably footstep in the
ceiling of my kitchen, but that stopped months ago. Did they not have
any babies?

Another time I seemed to have none for 18 months, so was I reinfested
or was I just not paying attention?

How come it SEEMS so easy to get rid of them.

Perhaps, because when you find evidence of mice and set
traps or whatever, you're also careful to eliminate
accessible food sources?

I know that when I've had ants in the house, I'm really
careful about food storage, crumbs on the floor etc. for
several months after that.

| Gary Player. |
|http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
| On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 06:47:52 -0500, "Cabinets Galore"
| wrote:
|
| had my engine cleaned one time and the mechanic found LIVE mice
living
| in there.
| they chewed up the head gaskets for bedding.
| hence why my engine needed cleaning.
|
| Isn't all but a millimeter or less of the head gasket tightly clamped
| between two slabs of steel?

yes
and they still got in
there were 4 mice still alive in there

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a handful of customers that have the "Rat-Zapper" Impressed me
enough to want to sell them myself, but they are pricey to begin with so
don't think they would be worth what I would have to charge to be
profitable to handle.

Lar

They ARE worth the price. I tried snap traps, poison, sticky paper,
live traps and even an exterminator and still had issues with them
until I got a rat zapper. It was the best device I ever tried and it
solved my problem. I spent more on all of the other methods as a rat
zapper cost. I would buy another one if this one ever breaks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

had my engine cleaned one time and the mechanic found LIVE mice living
in there.
they chewed up the head gaskets for bedding.
hence why my engine needed cleaning.

Yeah. Right. Mice ate your copper head gaskets, and then you needed to get
your engine cleaned.

Where can I get some of whatever you've been smoking?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Galore" wrote in message

"mm" wrote in message
| On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 06:47:52 -0500, "Cabinets Galore"
| wrote:
|
| had my engine cleaned one time and the mechanic found LIVE mice
living
| in there.
| they chewed up the head gaskets for bedding.
| hence why my engine needed cleaning.
|
| Isn't all but a millimeter or less of the head gasket tightly clamped
| between two slabs of steel?

yes
and they still got in
there were 4 mice still alive in there

IN WHERE? The engine compartment? Inside the cylinders? Inside the head
gasket?

Where?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 17 Feb 2007 17:52:31 -0800, "
wrote:

I have a handful of customers that have the "Rat-Zapper" Impressed me
enough to want to sell them myself, but they are pricey to begin with so
don't think they would be worth what I would have to charge to be
profitable to handle.

Lar

They ARE worth the price. I tried snap traps, poison, sticky paper,
live traps and even an exterminator and still had issues with them
until I got a rat zapper. It was the best device I ever tried and it
solved my problem. I spent more on all of the other methods as a rat
zapper cost. I would buy another one if this one ever breaks.

They might be hard to sell to a customer, with a markup, but the one I
found on the web, the Classic (there are two models, classic and
ultra.) was 29 dollars, not too much for one of the rich readers of
this ng. I just have to find out if Jimmy the Greek is a
stockholder.

http://www.ratmousezapper.com/

http://www.ratzapper.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
On 17 Feb 2007 17:52:31 -0800, "
wrote:

[...]

I still like the Tin Cats. No electricity. Just toss the Tin cat in a
bucket of water, wait five minutes, and empty contents. With these other
electrical ones, the dead rodents may stay in there and ripen. Or just cook
while staying in contact with electrical contacts for hours. Making such
things as hantavirus and other nasty things a consideration.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
| Galore" wrote in message
|
| "mm" wrote in message
| | On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 06:47:52 -0500, "Cabinets Galore"
| | wrote:
| |
| | had my engine cleaned one time and the mechanic found LIVE mice
| living
| | in there.
| | they chewed up the head gaskets for bedding.
| | hence why my engine needed cleaning.
| |
| | Isn't all but a millimeter or less of the head gasket tightly
clamped
| | between two slabs of steel?
|
| yes
| and they still got in
| there were 4 mice still alive in there
|

| IN WHERE? The engine compartment? Inside the cylinders? Inside the
head
| gasket?
|
| Where?

in there somewhere mr.hot head
ask my mechanic (Larry)
he found them in the engine somewhere
ask him @ alt.auto.repair

| Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message

| wrote:
|
| had my engine cleaned one time and the mechanic found LIVE mice
living
| in there.
| they chewed up the head gaskets for bedding.
| hence why my engine needed cleaning.
|
| Yeah. Right. Mice ate your copper head gaskets, and then you needed
to get
| your engine cleaned.

actually I was getting the engine cleaned
then found the mice.
if you can't talk nicer to me then I will not reply to you any more.

| Where can I get some of whatever you've been smoking?

down by the docks

| Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

i use snakes, get a few pythons and let em go in the basement!

wrote in message
ups.com...
My wife noticed mouse droppings in our basement today (we live in
Cincinnati). I am a little bit puzzled because we don't take food
down to the basement, and we don't have mice on the upper floors of
our 2-story house. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the
mice are attracted to water -- sometimes we leave open containers
while washing clothes. I have never had to deal with this type of
problem before, and I am hoping that I can get good suggestions here
as to how to get rid of the mice.. Thanks,

JD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Geek,...Greek
Very close

On Feb 18, 1:57 am, mm wrote:
On 17 Feb 2007 17:52:31 -0800, "

I just have to find out if Jimmy the Greek is a
stockholder.

http://www.ratmousezapper.com/

http://www.ratzapper.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 18 Feb 2007 07:14:51 -0800, "Michael B"
wrote:

Geek,...Greek
Very close

Oh, yeah. LOL

On Feb 18, 1:57 am, mm wrote:
On 17 Feb 2007 17:52:31 -0800, "

I just have to find out if Jimmy the Greek is a
stockholder.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cabinets Galore" wrote

actually I was getting the engine cleaned
then found the mice.
if you can't talk nicer to me then I will not reply to you any more.

It sounds like we got a deal. I'm going to talk "nicer", and you're never
going to say anything as stupid as "The mice ate my head gaskets."

Works for me.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ya know, there's a difference between ignorance and stupidity.
Ignorance can be cured. Teachers and others do it on a daily basis.
Stupidity is forever, and when you designate a comment as being
a stupid one, you are clearly not trying to talk nicely.
I think CABSGAL HAS BEEN FOREWARNED

Ooops, was my capslock on? Well, silly me. I'll try to remember
to be more careful next time, especially when reminding someone
that makes such an **ignorant** comment as was made about not
being able to check on sludge status of a septic tank other than by
having it pumped.

On Feb 18, 1:18 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"Cabinets Galore" wrote

actually I was getting the engine cleaned
then found the mice.
if you can't talk nicer to me then I will not reply to you any more.

It sounds like we got a deal. I'm going to talk "nicer", and you're never
going to say anything as stupid as "The mice ate my head gaskets."

Works for me.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

I just have to find out if Jimmy the Greek is a
stockholder.

Nope not a shareholder... Just a happy customer. I got mine off of
ebay. The only place I've seen them are ebay & a few sites on the
net. If someone was to sell them locally I would think they would be
profitable.

Jimmy-DAH-GEEK....grin

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mice can enter through a 1/4 " hole
most likely a gas pipe or along the sill wrote in message

*** the former exterminator speaks the truth, naturally. finding all
the holes is tough, unless you have enough of them to follow a steady
trail of droppings. in my house they use the pipes and dishwasher hose
under my kitchen sink as bridges, which means they largely avoid the
traps. i did learn in Philadelphia to use steel wool to plug any holes
you can find. tried it here and, amazingly, it's apparently a
universal that mice cannot tolerate chewing through steel wool (here i
thought they taught them that in the public schools back east).

again, that only works if you can find the holes.

I found out why we can't get rid of mice! Terry Home Repair 7 November 12th 06 01:58 PM
mice brianlanning Woodworking 42 February 5th 06 09:42 PM
Getting rid of Mice Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt UK diy 42 October 9th 05 05:48 PM
Advice on system to get rid of the moldy, musty odour and/or avoid it in basement Sheldon Home Repair 1 August 30th 04 12:06 PM
Help! Getting rid of basement bugs Tom Home Repair 13 November 27th 03 04:41 AM