Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can I tile over an acrylic shower pan?

I recently ripped out a 30x 60 tub and put in a 34 x 60 acrylic shower
pan. I am going to tile the walls but I am wondering if I can tile
over the shower pan and curb as well.

thanks for your help.

mike

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 16, 2:22 pm, Oren wrote:
On 16 Feb 2007 14:10:21 -0800, wrote:

I recently ripped out a 30x 60 tub and put in a 34 x 60 acrylic shower
pan. I am going to tile the walls but I am wondering if I can tile
over the shower pan and curb as well.

thanks for your help.

mike

No. IMHO.

--
Oren

Care to elaborate? Can I not just apply floor leveler to deal with
the "slip resistant florr" and then mortar over that? I truly don't
know, but don't understand why not...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 16, 2:58 pm, (Malcolm Hoar) wrote:
In article .com, wrote:
On Feb 16, 2:22 pm, Oren wrote:
On 16 Feb 2007 14:10:21 -0800, wrote:

I recently ripped out a 30x 60 tub and put in a 34 x 60 acrylic shower
pan. I am going to tile the walls but I am wondering if I can tile
over the shower pan and curb as well.

No. IMHO.

Care to elaborate? Can I not just apply floor leveler to deal with
the "slip resistant florr" and then mortar over that? I truly don't
know, but don't understand why not...

I would also say no. Too little adhesion (to the acrylic) and
too much flexing. It might survive if you get everything totally
perfect but that's not a realistic proposition, IMO. I think
you'll have cracking problems within a year or two (maybe sooner)
and regret the decision.

Heck, follow this newsgroup for a while -- folks are reporting
shower pan problems and leaks every day or two. If yours starts
to leak, you'll have to wait in line ;-)

In any event, we'll all just say... "Told you so!"

| Gary Player. |
|http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |

I don't think I'd have any problem with a shower pan leaking whether I
tile it or not. This is a pre fab shower pan so the primary cause of
it leaking is if it cracks and the odds of that seem roughly the same,
tile or no tile. But I understand your point about flexing which
would crack the grout. So I'd likely end up with cracked grout and
loose tile in a non-leaking shower pan. Not good.

Thanks for your help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I wouldn't bet on it. When the tiles and grout are cracked,
even minor water splashes are sucked into the cracks by
capilliary action. It doesn't take much to start causing
problems, including mold.

I really like (nice) tiling. It's attractive and very
durable. But if the tiles are not fixed to a really
sound, solid surface, it usually ends up a disaster.

Exactly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

you could drill holes in the acrylic pan
fill with sanded cement or plaster of paris.
install water proofing membrane
then tile over

if it were me
I would replace the existing pan with copper pan.

"Charles Schuler" wrote in message
. ..
| I wouldn't bet on it. When the tiles and grout are cracked,
| even minor water splashes are sucked into the cracks by
| capilliary action. It doesn't take much to start causing
| problems, including mold.
|
| I really like (nice) tiling. It's attractive and very
| durable. But if the tiles are not fixed to a really
| sound, solid surface, it usually ends up a disaster.
|
| Exactly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 16, 5:10 pm, wrote:
I recently ripped out a 30x 60 tub and put in a 34 x 60 acrylic shower
pan. I am going to tile the walls but I am wondering if I can tile
over the shower pan and curb as well.

thanks for your help.

mike

They seem to flex too much to hold tile even if you could get them to
adhere well,

Bedding toilet pan with tile adhesive. Paul Giverin UK diy 9 December 4th 06 09:14 PM
Cement for shower pan Em Home Repair 7 December 21st 05 08:43 PM
Shower pan tests? Savoire Faire Home Repair 4 July 20th 05 12:32 PM
Shower Pan Reline Joe S Home Repair 23 April 7th 05 05:08 PM
shower pan question Home Repair 2 July 1st 03 12:53 AM