Posted to alt.home.repair
RML RML is offline

Default In-wall Speakers

How would a contractor install 2 in-wall speakers in an existing first
floor room (with bedroom above it)? Specifically, would the wiring be
routed inside the wall to reach the audio equipment? Maybe along the
floor? (except in my case we will be installing laminate flooring).

How costly a job is this, with me supplying the speakers and wiring?

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RML" wrote in message
news
How would a contractor install 2 in-wall speakers in an existing first
floor room (with bedroom above it)? Specifically, would the wiring be
routed inside the wall to reach the audio equipment? Maybe along the
floor? (except in my case we will be installing laminate flooring).

How costly a job is this, with me supplying the speakers and wiring?

I doubt is can be routed inside the wall going horizontal. What is below
the room? It can probably go along the floor under some trim. Even fishing
the wire above the fire stop in the wall is a daunting task. It could run
from $50 to $350 to impossible depending on construction. No one can give a
good estimate not seeing the setup.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 16, 5:14 am, RML wrote:
How would a contractor install 2 in-wall speakers in an existing first
floor room (with bedroom above it)? Specifically, would the wiring be
routed inside the wall to reach the audio equipment? Maybe along the
floor? (except in my case we will be installing laminate flooring).

How costly a job is this, with me supplying the speakers and wiring?

Thanks

Make sure you specify how you want this done before work is started.

I'm assuming you have no basement or crawlspace, if you did that is
where I would run the wires. If you don't you have a few options:
1 Cut a groove in the subfloor to run the wires under the laminate
flooring. probably a PITA and won't work with slab construction.
2 Run the wires behind the baseboard. May require a groove to be cut
in the back of the molding or trimming the drywall a bit. Don't run
the wires in the space left for the flooring to expand & contract.
3 If your ceiling joists run parallel to your wires you could run
them across the ceiling but would requires a few small cuts to fish
the wire.

I would go with option 2 and trim the drywall if needed. Shouldn't be
much trouble getting the wires up to the speakers unless like Ed said
you have fire blocking in the walls.

An electrician with remodeling experience is the right person for this
job. If your lucky you can find one to do it on the weekend off the
books since speaker wires probably don't need a permit.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 05:14:00 -0500, RML wrote:

How would a contractor install 2 in-wall speakers in an existing first
floor room (with bedroom above it)? Specifically, would the wiring be
routed inside the wall to reach the audio equipment? Maybe along the
floor? (except in my case we will be installing laminate flooring).

What do you mean except in your case? Don't install your floor until
you have decided how you will wire the speakers. It might be best to
delay the floor until all the wires are installed.

How costly a job is this, with me supplying the speakers and wiring?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 16, 8:42 pm, mm wrote:
On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 05:14:00 -0500, RML wrote:
How would a contractor install 2 in-wall speakers in an existing first
floor room (with bedroom above it)? Specifically, would the wiring be
routed inside the wall to reach the audio equipment? Maybe along the
floor? (except in my case we will be installing laminate flooring).

What do you mean except in your case? Don't install your floor until
you have decided how you will wire the speakers. It might be best to
delay the floor until all the wires are installed.

How costly a job is this, with me supplying the speakers and wiring?

Thanks- Hide quoted text -

We don't know some of the most critical info, like:

Where is the audio eqpt in relation to the speakers? Is there a
basement or crawlspace underneath?

Posted to alt.home.repair

be sure to install "in the wall" speaker wire (usually has white jacket)
not all speaker wire is made for concealed spaces.

"RML" wrote in message
news | How would a contractor install 2 in-wall speakers in an existing first
| floor room (with bedroom above it)? Specifically, would the wiring be
| routed inside the wall to reach the audio equipment? Maybe along the
| floor? (except in my case we will be installing laminate flooring).
|
| How costly a job is this, with me supplying the speakers and wiring?
|
| Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

There are many ways to wi Inside the walls, inside base/crown
molding, from above, from underneath, etc. In your case it sounds
like inside the base molding is a good idea. I hid mine inside the
crown molding and through the basement. The cost will vary depending
on the difficulty of the job and/or how you want it done. $20-40 an
hour is about right. Get three estimates, check references.

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 05:14:00 -0500, RML wrote:

How would a contractor install 2 in-wall speakers in an existing first
floor room (with bedroom above it)? Specifically, would the wiring be
routed inside the wall to reach the audio equipment? Maybe along the
floor? (except in my case we will be installing laminate flooring).

How costly a job is this, with me supplying the speakers and wiring?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Phisherman" wrote in message
The cost will vary depending
on the difficulty of the job and/or how you want it done. $20-40 an
hour is about right. Get three estimates, check references.

He'll be lucky to get two people to call him back interested in doing the
job.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
et...

"Phisherman" wrote in message
The cost will vary depending
on the difficulty of the job and/or how you want it done. $20-40 an
hour is about right. Get three estimates, check references.

He'll be lucky to get two people to call him back interested in doing the
job.

esp with him supplying materials

Posted to alt.home.repair
RML RML is offline

Actually, the speaker installation will be part of a much larger job,
which will include kitchen remodeling, laminate floor installation,
and ceiling smoothing. I will only be supplying the speakers. To
insure they will use the appropriate type of wiring, I was thinking of
also buying this myself.

There is a bedroom above and no basement below. It is a concrete slab
floor, and there are currently no moldings in this room.

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 17:05:09 -0500, "AlarmCo" wrote:

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. net...

"Phisherman" wrote in message
The cost will vary depending
on the difficulty of the job and/or how you want it done. $20-40 an
hour is about right. Get three estimates, check references.

He'll be lucky to get two people to call him back interested in doing the
job.

esp with him supplying materials

Wiring wall-mounted speakers AlexJDB Home Repair 9 January 5th 07 05:38 PM
Where to get 4 off 12 inch speakers in the UK? n cook Electronics Repair 14 January 4th 07 11:21 AM
Speakers bodger UK diy 38 December 14th 06 01:51 PM
Kitchen Wall Speakers RichK Home Repair 4 March 5th 06 07:59 AM
Refinishing Speakers DMKinPA Woodworking 3 May 1st 05 01:53 PM