Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Darkening wood

My new fish tank stand and hood finally arrived from China after a 3 month
wait, and although they're beautifully finished, the color is a few shades
lighter than I really wanted. I don't know what kind of wood it's made of -
some Oriental hardwood I suppose - the color is called Natural Cherry and it
looks like a Minwax finish to me. Is there any way to darken the color
without refinishing - hopefully something I could wipe or brush over the
existing finish?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

JustDave

Posted to alt.home.repair

"news-server.cfl.rr.com" wrote in message
My new fish tank stand and hood finally arrived from China after a 3 month
wait, and although they're beautifully finished, the color is a few shades
lighter than I really wanted. I don't know what kind of wood it's made
of - some Oriental hardwood I suppose - the color is called Natural Cherry
and it looks like a Minwax finish to me. Is there any way to darken the
color without refinishing - hopefully something I could wipe or brush over
the existing finish?

Most wood will darken with age. Be sure it get some sunlight so the UV can
do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would just live with it; but if that is not an option (or if the wood
isn't all that attractive anyhow) I would go over it with Minwax Polyshades.
It is like a thin paint; goes over well, but hints at wood underneath.
"news-server.cfl.rr.com" wrote in message
My new fish tank stand and hood finally arrived from China after a 3 month
wait, and although they're beautifully finished, the color is a few shades
lighter than I really wanted. I don't know what kind of wood it's made
of - some Oriental hardwood I suppose - the color is called Natural Cherry
and it looks like a Minwax finish to me. Is there any way to darken the
color without refinishing - hopefully something I could wipe or brush over
the existing finish?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

JustDave

Posted to alt.home.repair

"news-server.cfl.rr.com" wrote in message
My new fish tank stand and hood finally arrived from China after a 3 month
wait, and although they're beautifully finished, the color is a few shades
lighter than I really wanted. I don't know what kind of wood it's made
of - some Oriental hardwood I suppose - the color is called Natural Cherry
and it looks like a Minwax finish to me. Is there any way to darken the
color without refinishing - hopefully something I could wipe or brush over
the existing finish?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

JustDave

I'd live with it but if you're heart is set on changing the color, you
should find out what the current finish is that's on it to know what to do
next. Essentially you should probably determine if it's lacquer, varnish,
shellac, or oil. From there, it's pretty easy to suggest a way to darken.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 12, 10:04 pm, "news-server.cfl.rr.com"
wrote:
My new fish tank stand and hood finally arrived from China after a 3 month
wait, and although they're beautifully finished, the color is a few shades
lighter than I really wanted. I don't know what kind of wood it's made of -
some Oriental hardwood I suppose - the color is called Natural Cherry and it
looks like a Minwax finish to me. Is there any way to darken the color
without refinishing - hopefully something I could wipe or brush over the
existing finish?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

JustDave

You could scuff sand it a bit and apply a coat of varnish stain

Posted to alt.home.repair

try tung oil to darken the wood.
or sand it with 180 grit paper
dampen the wood to raise the grain
and re-stain with same color.
Natural cherry will never be uniform color no matter what you do unless
it is premium cherry.

oups.com...