Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Warmed engine dies on snowblower

Hi!

I have a Sears Snowblower that is a Sears Craftsman "3/20". I'm
not sure how old it is, but I found a picture of it here...

http://detroit.craigslist.org/tls/276437292.html

My problem with it is that it starts up fine, and it runs fine, up
until about 30 minutes into snowblowing. At this point, the engine
then dies out. I try to start it again, no luck. So, I prime it once
or twice, pull the rope, and it starts back up again. But as soon as
I let it go into some snow, it dies again.

Just wondering if anybody had any ideas. I *THINK* that it might
be a choke problem, but don't know for sure. I use it with the choke
3/4's of the way closed. If I flip the choke all the way to "Off",
the engine dies out. But if I leave it one notch above "Off", it
works fine...well, up until the 30 minute mark.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 12, 1:39 pm, " wrote:
Hi!

I have a Sears Snowblower that is a Sears Craftsman "3/20". I'm
not sure how old it is, but I found a picture of it here...

http://detroit.craigslist.org/tls/276437292.html

My problem with it is that it starts up fine, and it runs fine, up
until about 30 minutes into snowblowing. At this point, the engine
then dies out. I try to start it again, no luck. So, I prime it once
or twice, pull the rope, and it starts back up again. But as soon as
I let it go into some snow, it dies again.

Just wondering if anybody had any ideas. I *THINK* that it might
be a choke problem, but don't know for sure. I use it with the choke
3/4's of the way closed. If I flip the choke all the way to "Off",
the engine dies out. But if I leave it one notch above "Off", it
works fine...well, up until the 30 minute mark.

Thanks!

Hmm classic hot engine failures are generally related to a bad coil
and then once cooled it restarts easily BUT first check to see that
there is no water in the fuel system.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi!

I have a Sears Snowblower that is a Sears Craftsman "3/20". I'm
not sure how old it is, but I found a picture of it here...

http://detroit.craigslist.org/tls/276437292.html

My problem with it is that it starts up fine, and it runs fine, up
until about 30 minutes into snowblowing. At this point, the engine
then dies out. I try to start it again, no luck. So, I prime it once
or twice, pull the rope, and it starts back up again. But as soon as
I let it go into some snow, it dies again.

Just wondering if anybody had any ideas. I *THINK* that it might
be a choke problem, but don't know for sure. I use it with the choke
3/4's of the way closed. If I flip the choke all the way to "Off",
the engine dies out. But if I leave it one notch above "Off", it
works fine...well, up until the 30 minute mark.

Thanks!

So it dies under a load? i.e., when you force it to work again? it could
very well be a fuel problem, if it needs to be primed to start again even
though it is warm.
I'd try and clean the carb out as best I could. Also check to see if the
air filter is clean.

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

Zephyr wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

And make sure the vent in the fuel cap is open. A clogged or partially
clogged vent can do things like that, too.

Pop`

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 12, 1:39 pm, " wrote:
Hi!

I have a Sears Snowblower that is a Sears Craftsman "3/20". I'm
not sure how old it is, but I found a picture of it here...

http://detroit.craigslist.org/tls/276437292.html

My problem with it is that it starts up fine, and it runs fine, up
until about 30 minutes into snowblowing. At this point, the engine
then dies out. I try to start it again, no luck. So, I prime it once
or twice, pull the rope, and it starts back up again. But as soon as
I let it go into some snow, it dies again.

Just wondering if anybody had any ideas. I *THINK* that it might
be a choke problem, but don't know for sure. I use it with the choke
3/4's of the way closed. If I flip the choke all the way to "Off",
the engine dies out. But if I leave it one notch above "Off", it
works fine...well, up until the 30 minute mark.

Thanks!

If you're running it with the choke on, there's a problem. Not a choke
problem, but mostlikely a main mixture problem. If there's a proper
level of fuel in the float bowl, quite possibly there's some sort of
crud
restricting the main jet, which is adjustable, typically, under center
of
float bowl. "Exercise" the adjusting screw. Open it up some (back it
out) until you don't need choke to run engine. "Exercise" and adjust
a/r until it stabilizes. Or, just pull the main jet body and clean it
and the tapered needle. Very gently.

HTH,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 12, 1:39 pm, " wrote:
Hi!

I have a Sears Snowblower that is a Sears Craftsman "3/20". I'm
not sure how old it is, but I found a picture of it here...

http://detroit.craigslist.org/tls/276437292.html

My problem with it is that it starts up fine, and it runs fine, up
until about 30 minutes into snowblowing. At this point, the engine
then dies out. I try to start it again, no luck. So, I prime it once
or twice, pull the rope, and it starts back up again. But as soon as
I let it go into some snow, it dies again.

Just wondering if anybody had any ideas. I *THINK* that it might
be a choke problem, but don't know for sure. I use it with the choke
3/4's of the way closed. If I flip the choke all the way to "Off",
the engine dies out. But if I leave it one notch above "Off", it
works fine...well, up until the 30 minute mark.

Thanks!

agree...air filter or pin hole in gas cap is most likely cause. Heres
a site for craftman small engine help.........

http://zekfrivolous.com/faq/sam/lmfaq.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12 Feb 2007 10:39:31 -0800, "
wrote:

Hi!

I have a Sears Snowblower that is a Sears Craftsman "3/20". I'm
not sure how old it is, but I found a picture of it here...

http://detroit.craigslist.org/tls/276437292.html

My problem with it is that it starts up fine, and it runs fine, up
until about 30 minutes into snowblowing. At this point, the engine
then dies out. I try to start it again, no luck. So, I prime it once
or twice, pull the rope, and it starts back up again. But as soon as
I let it go into some snow, it dies again.

Just wondering if anybody had any ideas. I *THINK* that it might
be a choke problem, but don't know for sure. I use it with the choke
3/4's of the way closed. If I flip the choke all the way to "Off",
the engine dies out. But if I leave it one notch above "Off", it
works fine...well, up until the 30 minute mark.

Thanks!

If this is the 2 stroke Tecumseh then I have the same snow blower.

If so your snow blower is running lean. Do you have to much oil in the
mixture? Does it need a tune up?

Mine is quite a bit older than yours and still works. I had the same
exact problem with it a few years ago and it ended up just being bad
gas. This snow blower is very finicky about gas. Make sure you have
the proper mixture and use fresh gas every year. If you have the
manual
use the directions to tune the carburetor with a proper fresh mix of
gas.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like your fuel delivery system is failing. Either it's sucking air
from a bad hose, or the filter is clogged. It's not normal at all to use
ANY choke after it's running.

--
Steve Barker

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don't go JACKING with the carb adjustment until you rule out the delivery
problem. I can't believe people want to start twisting on screws that they
know nothing about when the fukin problem is an empty tank or something
else.

--
Steve Barker

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thank you for the information. I will try the easy things tonight.
It *could* very well be just bad gas...who knows. The gas I used was
from the summer. I always thought that it was a myth, but it might
actually have something to do with it.

Now that I think about it, I have a Ryobi weed whacker/edger as well.
I remember, the last time I used it, it would die when the engine was
warm. It's also a 2-cycle engine, so I used the same gas in there.

So now that I have about 1 gallon of gas left that could be "bad",
what do I do with it? I hate just 'dumping it out', but just don't
know how to dispose of it properly.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 12, 5:22 pm, " wrote:
Thank you for the information. I will try the easy things tonight.
It *could* very well be just bad gas...who knows. The gas I used was
from the summer. I always thought that it was a myth, but it might
actually have something to do with it.

Now that I think about it, I have a Ryobi weed whacker/edger as well.
I remember, the last time I used it, it would die when the engine was
warm. It's also a 2-cycle engine, so I used the same gas in there.

So now that I have about 1 gallon of gas left that could be "bad",
what do I do with it? I hate just 'dumping it out', but just don't
know how to dispose of it properly.

Thanks!

the small vent hole in the gas cap can get clogged with flying
snow...happend to me...same symptoms...
Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair
Zu Zu is offline

wrote:
Hi!

I have a Sears Snowblower that is a Sears Craftsman "3/20". I'm
not sure how old it is, but I found a picture of it here...

http://detroit.craigslist.org/tls/276437292.html

My problem with it is that it starts up fine, and it runs fine, up
until about 30 minutes into snowblowing. At this point, the engine
then dies out. I try to start it again, no luck. So, I prime it once
or twice, pull the rope, and it starts back up again. But as soon as
I let it go into some snow, it dies again.

Just wondering if anybody had any ideas. I *THINK* that it might
be a choke problem, but don't know for sure. I use it with the choke
3/4's of the way closed. If I flip the choke all the way to "Off",
the engine dies out. But if I leave it one notch above "Off", it
works fine...well, up until the 30 minute mark.

Thanks!

I had a similar thing happen with a lawnmower. Turned out the mixture
screw had vibrated out and it was leaned way out. I had to run it with
full choke and it had no power. Adjusted the mixture and it was fine again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12 Feb 2007 14:22:54 -0800, "
wrote:

Thank you for the information. I will try the easy things tonight.
It *could* very well be just bad gas...who knows. The gas I used was
from the summer. I always thought that it was a myth, but it might
actually have something to do with it.

Now that I think about it, I have a Ryobi weed whacker/edger as well.
I remember, the last time I used it, it would die when the engine was
warm. It's also a 2-cycle engine, so I used the same gas in there.

So now that I have about 1 gallon of gas left that could be "bad",
what do I do with it? I hate just 'dumping it out', but just don't
know how to dispose of it properly.

Thanks!

Put it in your car. As long as you have a full tank it won't hurt it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 16:11:33 -0600, "Steve Barker"
wrote:

Don't go JACKING with the carb adjustment until you rule out the delivery
problem. I can't believe people want to start twisting on screws that they
know nothing about when the fukin problem is an empty tank or something
else.

Don't go JACKING with the carb adjustment posts or you'll end up getting a
delivery problem. I can't believe people want to start spewing forth hate when
the real problem is the fukin delivery problem.

Steve, you have a delivery problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

My snowblower runs fine. As does every other engine in my charge. Because
I know what I'm doing with them. And I don't turn screws that haven't been
turned and don't need to be turned. I systematically get to the root of the
problem and fix it. You quoted me twice, thanks.

--
Steve Barker

wrote:

Don't go JACKING with the carb adjustment until you rule out the delivery
problem. I can't believe people want to start twisting on screws that
they
know nothing about when the fukin problem is an empty tank or something
else.

Don't go JACKING with the carb adjustment posts or you'll end up getting a
delivery problem. I can't believe people want to start spewing forth hate
when
the real problem is the fukin delivery problem.

Steve, you have a delivery problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My snowblower runs fine. As does every other engine in my charge. Because
I know what I'm doing with them. And I don't turn screws that haven't been
turned and don't need to be turned. I systematically get to the root of the
problem and fix it. You quoted me twice, thanks.

Because you are the expert and claim that you wouldn't turn screws
that haven't been turned and don't need to be turned, then we would
have to conclude.............that my snow blower, if left in your
care,
would have been scrapped many years ago because YOU would never
turn screws that haven't been turned and don't need to be turned.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Why would leaving well enough alone, cause it to be scrapped?

If the screws on a 29 year old snow blower would of never been turned
then the snow blower would of been scrapped many years ago. It
wouldn't run with the same settings that it had back in 1978.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12 Feb 2007 14:22:54 -0800, "
wrote:

Thank you for the information. I will try the easy things tonight.
It *could* very well be just bad gas...who knows. The gas I used was
from the summer. I always thought that it was a myth, but it might
actually have something to do with it.

Now that I think about it, I have a Ryobi weed whacker/edger as well.
I remember, the last time I used it, it would die when the engine was
warm. It's also a 2-cycle engine, so I used the same gas in there.

So now that I have about 1 gallon of gas left that could be "bad",
what do I do with it? I hate just 'dumping it out', but just don't
know how to dispose of it properly.

Thanks!

I have exactly the same problems with my Toro snowblower (2 stroke
1:50 mix) and my WeedWacker. They will start, run and once stopped
when hot , will not restart again until cool. I had already
dismantled the engines and cleaned up everything. It still happened.
The final anaylsis is that the fuel mixture is not correct. Too much
lube and it runs slow, weak, smoky exhaust and needs a full choke to
keep running. It also fouls the spark plug. Too little lube and the
engine runs hot, expands and seizes the cylinder. That's why it needs
to cool off first for the piston to cycle correctly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

We got a few inches of snow up in Chicago and I ran out to get some
new gas. Sure enough, the snow blower only died about 3 or so
times....which is a huge improvement than before. And I was even
running it with the choke off the whole time! Plus, I even did our
neighbor's driveway, which was a LOT more than I have ever done in the
past.

So, I guess gas does get bad and it's no myth!

Thanks for all the help.
Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to tnom, Rick wrote:
You are correct but lets face it, Steve not only raised a good point, he also
expressed how much it frustrated him.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...er-194320-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Steve Barker, Rick wrote:
I know this is an old post but I have to agree with you Steve...sorry it took
so long for me to get here. When trouble shooting it is easy to jump at the
worst possible scenario. You should always start with the easiest/cheapest
solutions first. If the fuel did not need to be adjusted and you adjusted it
with no results...you now have two problems. The original plus trying to find
out where that screw was before you messed with it.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...er-194320-.htm