DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sears 1/2 hp garage door opener (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/191931-sears-1-2-hp-garage-door-opener.html)

[email protected] February 11th 07 12:31 AM

Sears 1/2 hp garage door opener

I have a 4-5 year old Sears 1/2 hp garage door opener. It had been
working fine, but a few days ago it malfunctioned. When I press the
control to open it, I can hear the motor running, but the gear that
drives the chain doesn't turn. Any suggestions on how to fix it?

barbarow February 11th 07 02:46 AM

Sears 1/2 hp garage door opener

Sounds as though the gear that dives the chain has come loose from the drive
shaft of the motor.

It probably has a set screw that has loosened.
--
Have a Great Week !

Check Winter Haven's Current Weather
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...er+Haven+33881
oups.com...

[email protected] February 11th 07 02:47 AM

On 10 Feb 2007 16:31:31 -0800, wrote:

I have a 4-5 year old Sears 1/2 hp garage door opener. It had been
working fine, but a few days ago it malfunctioned. When I press the
control to open it, I can hear the motor running, but the gear that
drives the chain doesn't turn. Any suggestions on how to fix it?

Take the cover off and look at it. The white plastic worm gear is
probably worn out. It is replaceable

Rich February 11th 07 07:01 AM

Sears 1/2 hp garage door opener

http://www.garagedoorsupply.com/gear-assembly.html

Shirley ann February 11th 07 12:23 PM

Sears 1/2 hp garage door opener

Our garage door openers overhead light would not go out when we closed
the door.
We called Sears and the man said if you do not need the light just take
the bulb out, which we did. It works fine now.

He said it would cost more to repair it than buying a new unit.

shirleyann