DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Leaking bathroom sink faucet question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/191907-leaking-bathroom-sink-faucet-question.html)

tenplay February 10th 07 05:02 PM

Leaking bathroom sink faucet question

My older home has a bathroom sink faucet unit made by Eljer, which is
leaking hot water from the spout. With other faucet units, I would
usually just pry off the cap on the hot water handle and loosen the
screw to get to the washer. However this handle does not have a cap.
Instead the handle is a solid unit shaped kinda like a mushroom. How do
I get to the washer under the hot water handle? I am reluctant to
force it off because I don't want to break or bend anything. Thanks for
any advice.

Speedy Jim February 10th 07 05:23 PM

tenplay wrote:

My older home has a bathroom sink faucet unit made by Eljer, which is
leaking hot water from the spout. With other faucet units, I would
usually just pry off the cap on the hot water handle and loosen the
screw to get to the washer. However this handle does not have a cap.
Instead the handle is a solid unit shaped kinda like a mushroom. How do
I get to the washer under the hot water handle? I am reluctant to
force it off because I don't want to break or bend anything. Thanks for
any advice.

Look at the top of the mushroom closely. Doesn't the
top of the mushroom pry off?
I don't recall any Eljers that didn't have a stem screw on top.

Jim

Berkshire Bill February 10th 07 05:24 PM

Leaking bathroom sink faucet question

"tenplay" wrote in message
. ..
My older home has a bathroom sink faucet unit made by Eljer, which is
leaking hot water from the spout. With other faucet units, I would
usually just pry off the cap on the hot water handle and loosen the screw
to get to the washer. However this handle does not have a cap. Instead
the handle is a solid unit shaped kinda like a mushroom. How do I get to
the washer under the hot water handle? I am reluctant to force it off
because I don't want to break or bend anything. Thanks for any advice.

Some of the Eljers are covered in this pdf.
http://www.plumbingspecialties.com/d...atoIndiana.pdf

Bill

[email protected] February 10th 07 05:29 PM

On Feb 10, 12:02 pm, tenplay wrote:
My older home has a bathroom sink faucet unit made by Eljer, which is
leaking hot water from the spout. With other faucet units, I would
usually just pry off the cap on the hot water handle and loosen the
screw to get to the washer. However this handle does not have a cap.
Instead the handle is a solid unit shaped kinda like a mushroom. How do
I get to the washer under the hot water handle? I am reluctant to
force it off because I don't want to break or bend anything. Thanks for
any advice.

Most likely it has an allen set screw on the backside of the handle
Moen sends replacement cartridges free if u go to their website, they
also furnish instructions along with the parts. Check if Elger has a
site

tenplay February 10th 07 07:06 PM

Leaking bathroom sink faucet question

Berkshire Bill wrote:
"tenplay" wrote in message
. ..
My older home has a bathroom sink faucet unit made by Eljer, which is
leaking hot water from the spout. With other faucet units, I would
usually just pry off the cap on the hot water handle and loosen the screw
to get to the washer. However this handle does not have a cap. Instead
the handle is a solid unit shaped kinda like a mushroom. How do I get to
the washer under the hot water handle? I am reluctant to force it off
because I don't want to break or bend anything. Thanks for any advice.

Some of the Eljers are covered in this pdf.
http://www.plumbingspecialties.com/d...atoIndiana.pdf

Bill

The faucet unit I have is the Eljer Ultima Slant-Back Lavatory on page
1-76. Can you tell from the diagrams how to get the handle off? I
can't figure it out. It definitely does not have a cap that covers the
screw and washer. And I don't see an Allen set screw on the backside of
the handle. Thanks.

Mikepier February 10th 07 08:07 PM

On Feb 10, 2:06 pm, tenplay wrote:
Berkshire Bill wrote:
"tenplay" wrote in message
[...]

the handle. Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

Try screwing the mushroom off. It might be threaded into the handle.
My faucet is like that. It had a chrome cap. At first I tried to pry
it off, it didn't budge. Then I found out it was threaded.

AlexD February 27th 07 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenplay
My older home has a bathroom sink faucet unit made by Eljer, which is
leaking hot water from the spout. With other faucet units, I would
usually just pry off the cap on the hot water handle and loosen the
screw to get to the washer. However this handle does not have a cap.
Instead the handle is a solid unit shaped kinda like a mushroom. How do
I get to the washer under the hot water handle? I am reluctant to
force it off because I don't want to break or bend anything. Thanks for
any advice.

Hi there,

I'm new to the forum, but I signed up, just because I can answer this question. :)

There is a slot on the side of the handle. This will be under the mushroom. Just stick a screw driver in the slot & push. Then the handle will lift off.

Once the handle is removed, then you will see a set screw to remove the handle adapter. Once the adapter is removed, then you will need a plumber's wrench (or other deep socket wrench) to remove the stem assembly/cartridge. Then once you have this removed, then you will need a "square wrench" to remove the seat at the bottom of the cartridge. a square wrench looks a lot like an alan wrench, but there are only 4 sides.

The style of this faucet is the "Ultima". Possible sources for these repair parts:

www.brasscraft.com
www.plumbingpartsdepot.com
www.watertownsupply.com

-alex