DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Rotting sill replacement on Caradco windows (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/191851-rotting-sill-replacement-caradco-windows.html)

John W February 10th 07 12:02 AM

Rotting sill replacement on Caradco windows

I have wenco Caradco windows and have a couple of rotting sills. Is it a big
job to cut out the old sill and replace it with the PVC sills from Lowes or
home depot? Anyone have any words of wisdom for this job?

John W

Colbyt February 10th 07 12:22 AM

"John W" wrote in message
I have wenco Caradco windows and have a couple of rotting sills. Is it a
big job to cut out the old sill and replace it with the PVC sills from
Lowes or home depot? Anyone have any words of wisdom for this job?

John W

I have never used the pvc version that you mention. I have used a two piece
version which is made from some composite material. It wasn't fun but it
was doable. I have done it several times now.

Be glad to try an answer any questions you might have.

Colbyt

doug February 11th 07 01:37 PM

Rotting sill replacement on Caradco windows

On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 19:22:00 -0500, "Colbyt"
wrote:

"John W" wrote in message
I have wenco Caradco windows and have a couple of rotting sills. Is it a
big job to cut out the old sill and replace it with the PVC sills from
Lowes or home depot? Anyone have any words of wisdom for this job?

John W

I have never used the pvc version that you mention. I have used a two piece
version which is made from some composite material. It wasn't fun but it
was doable. I have done it several times now.

Be glad to try an answer any questions you might have.

Colbyt

Are Caradco windows as good in quality as they were 25 years or so
ago? I was told then they were as good as Andersen or possibly Pella
but being 25 years or so ago, things might change :) . At that time,
the advantage to buying them were that they were a lot less in price.

Father Haskell February 11th 07 05:04 PM

On Feb 9, 7:02 pm, "John W" wrote:
I have wenco Caradco windows and have a couple of rotting sills. Is it a big
job to cut out the old sill and replace it with the PVC sills from Lowes or
home depot? Anyone have any words of wisdom for this job?

John W

Are they sound enough that you could just cover them
them with flashing? That'll hold up better than PVC,
which degrades under sunlight.