DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Furnace Belt Tauntness? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/191767-furnace-belt-tauntness.html)

Jimi February 9th 07 02:13 AM

Furnace Belt Tauntness?

Hi Folks,

Is there a 'rule of thumb" that a person can go by adjusting the
tightness of the fan belt. I'm afraid of overtightening and taking out fan
bearings....any tips?...Thanks....Jim

Tony Hwang February 9th 07 03:24 AM

Furnace Belt Tauntness?

Jimi wrote:

Hi Folks,

Is there a 'rule of thumb" that a person can go by adjusting the
tightness of the fan belt. I'm afraid of overtightening and taking out fan
bearings....any tips?...Thanks....Jim

Hi,
Bronze sleeve bearing needs very loose belt tension, just not enought to
slip.
Otherwise it'll cause premature wear of the the sleeve.

PaPaPeng February 9th 07 04:08 AM

Furnace Belt Tauntness?

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 20:13:44 -0600, "Jimi"
wrote:

Hi Folks,

Is there a 'rule of thumb" that a person can go by adjusting the
tightness of the fan belt. I'm afraid of overtightening and taking out fan
bearings....any tips?...Thanks....Jim

The weight of the hinged blower motor should tension the fan belt
just enough to turn the squirrel cage without slipping.