Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ice From New Ice Maker Tastes Bad

Had a new refrigerator with built in ice maker installed last week,
along with a new copper water line.The ice really tastes terrible, and
has a musty smell to it. We do not have a filter attached. We never
had a filter on our old refrigerator and ice maker and smell in the
ice was never a problem.
I know you're supposed to throw out the first few "batches" of ice
from a new ice maker, but how do they define batches, the first few
whole trays of ice or just the first few groups of ice spit out? Is
it possible the smell will eventually stop? It's not from food
because we keep ice in an open bag that is left over from when we
didn't have the ice maker hooked up and that tastes fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeffy3" wrote in message
ups.com...
Had a new refrigerator with built in ice maker installed last week,
along with a new copper water line.The ice really tastes terrible, and
has a musty smell to it. We do not have a filter attached. We never
had a filter on our old refrigerator and ice maker and smell in the
ice was never a problem.
I know you're supposed to throw out the first few "batches" of ice
from a new ice maker, but how do they define batches, the first few
whole trays of ice or just the first few groups of ice spit out? Is
it possible the smell will eventually stop?

If your water is good, no need for a filter. Sounds like it is in the
tubing and/or the machine itself. Do you have a water dispenser also? If
so, run a fair amount of water to flush it out. The taste should improve
gradually but it may take ten or more batches of ice to thoroughly flush
out the mechanism.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 7, 11:01 am, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Jeffy3" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

No water dispensor. Thanks for the response. Could you confirm how
you define batches?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeffy3" wrote in message
No water dispensor. Thanks for the response. Could you confirm how
you define batches?

Batch as in one "set" of cubes, not a full container full. It would take a
day or two to freeze that much I'd guess.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DK DK is offline

On 7 Feb 2007 07:43:53 -0800, "Jeffy3" wrote:

Had a new refrigerator with built in ice maker installed last week,
along with a new copper water line.The ice really tastes terrible, and
has a musty smell to it. We do not have a filter attached. We never
had a filter on our old refrigerator and ice maker and smell in the
ice was never a problem.
I know you're supposed to throw out the first few "batches" of ice
from a new ice maker, but how do they define batches, the first few
whole trays of ice or just the first few groups of ice spit out? Is
it possible the smell will eventually stop? It's not from food
because we keep ice in an open bag that is left over from when we
didn't have the ice maker hooked up and that tastes fine.

yes, it will get better over time. Just keep throwing the ice away
until you are satisfied with the taste/odor. It may take 10 batches
or it may take 500 batches. It makes no nevermind how many it takes,
just keep throwing it out until you are happy.

I bought three whole house water filter systems and put under my
sink. The kitchen faucet gets filtered twice and the fridge ice maker
get filtered three times.

Taste and odor have never been a problem.

You didn't ask, but it took almost a week to fill my ice bin the
first time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 7, 10:43 am, "Jeffy3" wrote:
Had a new refrigerator with built in ice maker installed last week,
along with a new copper water line.The ice really tastes terrible, and
has a musty smell to it. We do not have a filter attached. We never
had a filter on our old refrigerator and ice maker and smell in the
ice was never a problem.
I know you're supposed to throw out the first few "batches" of ice
from a new ice maker, but how do they define batches, the first few
whole trays of ice or just the first few groups of ice spit out? Is
it possible the smell will eventually stop? It's not from food
because we keep ice in an open bag that is left over from when we
didn't have the ice maker hooked up and that tastes fine.

I agree with the one poster.

You are suffering the new-plumbing-rotten-tasting-water problem.

It will go away in time.

But it does take time.

I've tried running all kinds of water through new plumbing on the
first day to get rid of the bad taste but with out luck.

But after about a week or so and it seems regardless how much or
little water is passed through it goes away.

I think it takes that much time for flux or something to dissolve.

Posted to alt.home.repair

But after about a week or so and it seems regardless how much or
little water is passed through it goes away.

I think it takes that much time for flux or something to dissolve.

yeah just keep tossing entire pans of ice till it goes away!

once did some water line work for my mom, the flux made the water ice
taste bad.it cleared up.

2 weeks later more plumbing I was adding outside water outlets.

Trying to avoid more off odors / tastes I did most of the work opened
the main valve to flush the lines, leaving a open fitting, then found
the main valve was bad and wouldnt turn off FLOOD CITY

By the time it was over, the water company came and lots of digging
looking for main house shut off.. street had been raised, adding to
hassle

I walked out of hardwarte without paying, so distressed, fortunately
the owner knew me and found it funny, I paid him. He mentioned my
shoes squishing from water left footprints in his store. he waited
till the next time I went there. embarassed

Once the water company got the main off they didnt want to wait while
I replaced valve. Said see you monday.. this was saturday morning

The water company employee got double time for getting called out on
weekend, 6 hours wether it only took him a minute, so he wanted to
leave

After some yelling he remained and main valve was replaced

It was well, one of those days............

Once the water guy left I HAD to finish the plumbing and clean up the
water the basement floor had low spots......

Thanks for reminding me, its funny looking back at it, my mom is dead
the house sold, at the time HASSLE, now a fond memory

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 7, 9:40 pm, " wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the story and the reassurance the smell should go away!
It is funny how something that was so stressful can become a fond
memory when the person you shared the experience with is no longer
around.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 7, 6:57 pm, wrote:
On Feb 7, 10:43 am, "Jeffy3" wrote:

[...]

Anyone know what the difference is between a water strainer and a
water filter?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 8, 9:01?am, "Jeffy3" wrote:
On Feb 7, 9:40 pm, " wrote:

[...]

around.- Hide quoted text -

WISH I could talk to my mom, your never the same once a parent dies

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com,
" wrote:

WISH I could talk to my mom, your never the same once a parent dies

You got THAT right. BTDT.
--
sigh
JR
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeffy3" wrote in message
Anyone know what the difference is between a water strainer and a
water filter?

Strainer is just a screen that keeps out debris, such as sand that may get
carried from a well. . Filters are fine mesh material and it may have
carbon to get rid of odors, chlorine, etc.

Replaced Ice Maker How Long For It To Produce Ice? [email protected] Home Repair 41 February 18th 21 09:08 PM
Ice Maker Won't Stop Making Ice! FE Home Repair 13 August 5th 06 04:36 PM
kenmore ice maker stopped making ice ESM Home Repair 3 September 7th 05 04:21 AM
Old Ice in Ice Maker Bin Sherman Home Repair 9 July 30th 05 05:50 PM
Hollow ice cubes from a Ice maker TURTLE Home Repair 8 January 24th 04 11:36 PM