Posted to alt.home.repair

Default draft under gas fireplace

hello. I have a fairly new home built in 2004. I've noticed that my
living room area is colder than the rest of the house. I always
thought it was because of the patio door or maybe the vaulted ceilings
and its a large room.

There is a gas fireplace I never use. I just noticed today there is a
draft coming through the bottom where the controls are and the tile
around the bottom is ice cold. This explains why my toes are so cold
when I sit on the couch and watch tv.

Is there anything I can do about this? I might just shut the gas off
and put some kind of insulation sheet in front of the whole thing.

thanks for your help

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
There is a gas fireplace I never use. I just noticed today there is a
draft coming through the bottom where the controls are and the tile
around the bottom is ice cold. This explains why my toes are so cold
when I sit on the couch and watch tv.

Is there anything I can do about this? I might just shut the gas off
and put some kind of insulation sheet in front of the whole thing.

Not being able to see the setup, it is difficult to offer a solution.
Sounds like the gas lines are run through to the fireplace in an area with
no insulation. Is there any access to it? If it is on a solid ground
surface, it would tend to feel much colder than space over a basement. Any
way to stuff some fiberglass in the space?

Posted to alt.home.repair

there is a couple of differnt sources that could be letting in cold
air. If this is a direct vent fireplace that is mostly sealed off from
access and "breaths" through tubes or pipes that go through your
outside wall, then it is likely bad or no insulation around the gas
lines or venting pipes. This can be remedied easily once you find the
pipes.

If this fireplace has a regular stack chimney and the hearth is
accessable to you, it could be that the fireplace damper is clipped
open or disabled in some way. Gas log fireplaces in many counties have
to have disabled or clipped open dampers due to fire code. The reason
for this is the county doesnt want you lighting a gas fireplace
without opening the damper, since this can start a fire or asphexiate
you and everyone in the home. Another possibility in this case could
just be a worn out damper.

If you find that the cold air source is comming from a clipped open,
disabled, or old and crusty damper and inexpensive insulation option
is a chimney balloon. They can be bought on Northline Express or
through the manufacturer at http://www.chimneyballoon.us. They are a
inflatable plug that stops air passage. They can be used with a gas
log since if you light a fire under them they melt and release (unlike
a metal damper).

Good luck finding the cold air entry point, i know from experience
that cold drafts like that can be uncomfortable.

Fireplace Gas Log Starter with no gas [email protected] Home Repair 6 January 29th 07 02:24 PM
Gas Fireplace David UK diy 3 November 11th 06 01:10 AM
Gas fireplace draft +blocking vent? [email protected] Home Repair 0 January 8th 06 02:09 PM
Gas Fireplace Lins Home Repair 1 November 8th 05 10:31 PM
gas fireplace xnipec Home Repair 2 October 8th 05 06:13 AM