DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Safe - how to open? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/191497-safe-how-open.html)

MiamiCuse February 6th 07 06:29 AM

Safe - how to open?

I just took possession of a property and there is a safe in one of the
closets. The safe is about 36"x36"x24" deep. The previous owner was
an elderly man and no longer remember the combinations. Me and a
buddy tried to move it and it would not move an inch...we think it is
at least 500 pounds in weight.

Is there a way to get it opened? If I call a locksmith and they come
open it does it mean they will break it in order to get it open or is
there a way to open it and reset the combinations so it may be used?

Thanks,

MC

Jim Elbrecht February 6th 07 11:16 AM

Safe - how to open?

On 5 Feb 2007 22:29:41 -0800, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

I just took possession of a property and there is a safe in one of the
closets. The safe is about 36"x36"x24" deep. The previous owner was
an elderly man and no longer remember the combinations. Me and a
buddy tried to move it and it would not move an inch...we think it is
at least 500 pounds in weight.

Is there a way to get it opened? If I call a locksmith and they come
open it does it mean they will break it in order to get it open or is
there a way to open it and reset the combinations so it may be used?

A locksmith can *probably* open it and reset the combination for you.

Those old safes were steel & concrete-- huge, heavy, and with a small
compartment. [early ones were fireproof, but not waterproof- so
your papers would not get singed, but would be waterlogged.]

Jim

HeyBub February 6th 07 01:15 PM

Safe - how to open?

MiamiCuse wrote:
I just took possession of a property and there is a safe in one of the
closets. The safe is about 36"x36"x24" deep. The previous owner was
an elderly man and no longer remember the combinations. Me and a
buddy tried to move it and it would not move an inch...we think it is
at least 500 pounds in weight.

Is there a way to get it opened? If I call a locksmith and they come
open it does it mean they will break it in order to get it open or is
there a way to open it and reset the combinations so it may be used?

I've seen 'em do it. They drill an itty-bitty hole (quarter-inch) in a
special place and, with the aid of a teeny-weenie light and flexible tools
poke around in the safe's innards.

After getting it open, you can repair the hole.

Probably take a couple of hours.

You'll pay the rate you'd expect from a professional's on-location visit,
I'd guess a couple hundred.

Before you take steps, I'd get a firm commitment as to the ownership of the
safe and its contents.

Greg February 6th 07 01:39 PM

Safe - how to open?

wrote:

I just took possession of a property and there is a safe in one of the
closets. The safe is about 36"x36"x24" deep. The previous owner was
an elderly man and no longer remember the combinations. Me and a
buddy tried to move it and it would not move an inch...we think it is
at least 500 pounds in weight.

Is there a way to get it opened? If I call a locksmith and they come
open it does it mean they will break it in order to get it open or is
there a way to open it and reset the combinations so it may be used?

Realize that the main purpose of a safe is to prevent what you are
describing. There is certainly a way to do what you want, but it might
be costly, and they might have to verify who owns the safe. A
locksmith may have to destroy the mechanism, in order to open it. The
safe manufacturer may charge a lot of money to open it.

Greg

Bob F February 6th 07 01:58 PM

Safe - how to open?

wrote:

I just took possession of a property and there is a safe in one of the
closets. The safe is about 36"x36"x24" deep. The previous owner was
an elderly man and no longer remember the combinations. Me and a
buddy tried to move it and it would not move an inch...we think it is
at least 500 pounds in weight.

Is there a way to get it opened? If I call a locksmith and they come
open it does it mean they will break it in order to get it open or is
there a way to open it and reset the combinations so it may be used?

Realize that the main purpose of a safe is to prevent what you are
describing. There is certainly a way to do what you want, but it might
be costly, and they might have to verify who owns the safe. A
locksmith may have to destroy the mechanism, in order to open it. The
safe manufacturer may charge a lot of money to open it.

My brother once bought an un-opened safe just a little smaller
than yours. He took it to a locksmith who "cracked" it without
damage. Call some locksmiths with the model of the safe and
ask them if they can open it.

Bob

Jack February 6th 07 02:33 PM

Safe - how to open?

MiamiCuse wrote:
I just took possession of a property and there is a safe in one of the
closets. The safe is about 36"x36"x24" deep. The previous owner was
an elderly man and no longer remember the combinations. Me and a
buddy tried to move it and it would not move an inch...we think it is
at least 500 pounds in weight.

Is there a way to get it opened? If I call a locksmith and they come
open it does it mean they will break it in order to get it open or is
there a way to open it and reset the combinations so it may be used?

Thanks,

MC

Keep this in mind, All safes, whether they are bank vaulys or home can
be opened with the right knowledge and tools. Yours is no exception.

JoeSpareBedroom February 6th 07 02:46 PM

Safe - how to open?

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just took possession of a property and there is a safe in one of the
closets. The safe is about 36"x36"x24" deep. The previous owner was
an elderly man and no longer remember the combinations. Me and a
buddy tried to move it and it would not move an inch...we think it is
at least 500 pounds in weight.

Is there a way to get it opened? If I call a locksmith and they come
open it does it mean they will break it in order to get it open or is
there a way to open it and reset the combinations so it may be used?

Thanks,

MC

In addition to what the others have said, you might want to call the lawyer
you used for your will (simply because it's a name you already have), and
see if he/she can recommend anyone. I can't imagine this is the first time
they would've heard of a situation like this. You might get two benefits
from the phonecall: A bit of advice with regard to the legality of what
you're doing, and the name of an experienced locksmith, as opposed to just
picking a name out of the phone book.

Dean February 6th 07 03:06 PM

Safe - how to open?

On Feb 6, 12:29 am, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
I just took possession of a property and there is a safe in one of the
closets. The safe is about 36"x36"x24" deep. The previous owner was
an elderly man and no longer remember the combinations. Me and a
buddy tried to move it and it would not move an inch...we think it is
at least 500 pounds in weight.

Is there a way to get it opened? If I call a locksmith and they come
open it does it mean they will break it in order to get it open or is
there a way to open it and reset the combinations so it may be used?

Thanks,

MC

Are the hinges exposed? Maybe they can be cut and replaced later after
combination is reset..Having a safe can actually draw thieves to Your
house if people see it and start flappin thier gums..Will a heavy duty
handcart help with moving it?

Goedjn February 6th 07 04:27 PM

Safe - how to open?

On Tue, 6 Feb 2007 07:15:55 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

MiamiCuse wrote:
[...]

Or you hire an OCD 12-year old to sit there for three days
trying every possible combination. It's not like you're
in a hurry.

Jeff Wisnia February 6th 07 05:01 PM

Safe - how to open?

MiamiCuse wrote:
I just took possession of a property and there is a safe in one of the
closets. The safe is about 36"x36"x24" deep. The previous owner was
an elderly man and no longer remember the combinations. Me and a
buddy tried to move it and it would not move an inch...we think it is
at least 500 pounds in weight.

Is there a way to get it opened? If I call a locksmith and they come
open it does it mean they will break it in order to get it open or is
there a way to open it and reset the combinations so it may be used?

Thanks,

MC

I'd say you should talk to your lawyer first. Even if the previous owner
gave or gives you a release saying the safe and anything in it is yours
to do with as you wish, there might just be stuff in it which was NOT
his property in the first place.

It's not inconceivable that if there is stuff in it belonging to others
which is really valuable and word gets out you might have to deal with
the rightful owners or their heirs.

As others have already told you,professionals can open ANY safe. Money
is a great lubricant and almost anything can be accomplished if you're
willing to pour enough of it onto the problem. Depending on the quality
and age of the safe that could mean anything from a hundred bucks to "OMG".

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Jim Yanik February 6th 07 05:06 PM

Safe - how to open?

"MiamiCuse" wrote in
oups.com:

I just took possession of a property and there is a safe in one of the
closets. The safe is about 36"x36"x24" deep. The previous owner was
an elderly man and no longer remember the combinations. Me and a
buddy tried to move it and it would not move an inch...we think it is
at least 500 pounds in weight.

Is there a way to get it opened? If I call a locksmith and they come
open it does it mean they will break it in order to get it open or is
there a way to open it and reset the combinations so it may be used?

Thanks,

MC

contact the safe manufacturer with the model and serial number,perhaps fax
a copy of the property's title. They may have the combo on file.

there may still be valuables inside it.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

JoeSpareBedroom February 6th 07 05:07 PM

Safe - how to open?

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
et...
MiamiCuse wrote:
[...]

Speaking of old folks saving stuff: A friend of mine used to be into buying
and refinishing antique furniture. One day, he and his wife found a really
nice dresser at an estate auction. They bought it for $150.00. As they were
metallic sliding around. They stood it up again, pulled out the drawers, and
under the bottom drawer was a lightweight metal box containing $4,000.00 in
hundred dollar bills. They went home fast.

Larry Bud February 6th 07 05:22 PM

Safe - how to open?

Speaking of old folks saving stuff: A friend of mine used to be into buying
and refinishing antique furniture. One day, he and his wife found a really
nice dresser at an estate auction. They bought it for $150.00. As they were
metallic sliding around. They stood it up again, pulled out the drawers, and
under the bottom drawer was a lightweight metal box containing $4,000.00 in
hundred dollar bills. They went home fast

He's quite the humanitarian.

I'd count your silverware after he leave your house the next time!

JoeSpareBedroom February 6th 07 05:24 PM

Safe - how to open?

"Larry Bud" wrote in message
oups.com...
Speaking of old folks saving stuff: A friend of mine used to be into
buying
and refinishing antique furniture. One day, he and his wife found a
really
nice dresser at an estate auction. They bought it for $150.00. As they
were
something
metallic sliding around. They stood it up again, pulled out the drawers,
and
under the bottom drawer was a lightweight metal box containing $4,000.00
in
hundred dollar bills. They went home fast

He's quite the humanitarian.

I'd count your silverware after he leave your house the next time!

You would've walked that metal box back to the auctioneer?

Goedjn February 6th 07 05:38 PM

Safe - how to open?

On 6 Feb 2007 09:22:36 -0800, "Larry Bud"
wrote:

Speaking of old folks saving stuff: A friend of mine used to be into buying
and refinishing antique furniture. One day, he and his wife found a really
nice dresser at an estate auction. They bought it for $150.00. As they were
metallic sliding around. They stood it up again, pulled out the drawers, and
under the bottom drawer was a lightweight metal box containing $4,000.00 in
hundred dollar bills. They went home fast

He's quite the humanitarian.

I'd count your silverware after he leave your house the next time!

It wasn't especially NICE of them, but it was, as far as I know,
perfectly legal. Going from that to petty theft is a bit of a leap.

Bill February 6th 07 05:43 PM

Safe - how to open?

google.com never fails!

I did a search of "safe cracking" (include quotes) and got lots of pages. I
did not read them but saw something about "thermal imaging".

Also may want to ask the previous owner what his birthday is and birthday's
of people in his family. Some people use birthdays. Or he may remember that
he did or did not use a birthday.

Perhaps the safe came with a standard combination and all models would have
this combination? (Then you would change it to what you wanted after
purchase.) Maybe the safe is still set to the combination it came with?

Also maybe the old guy remembers where he purchased the safe. If they are
still in business, maybe they would have a record of the combination?

BTW, if I found anything in the safe, I would return it to the old man. I
have a fireproof safe in my house, but all I have in it is documents which I
don't want to burn up in a fire. Nothing of any value.

JoeSpareBedroom February 6th 07 05:55 PM

Safe - how to open?

wrote:

Speaking of old folks saving stuff: A friend of mine used to be into
buying
and refinishing antique furniture. One day, he and his wife found a
really
nice dresser at an estate auction. They bought it for $150.00. As they
were
something
metallic sliding around. They stood it up again, pulled out the drawers,
and
under the bottom drawer was a lightweight metal box containing $4,000.00
in
hundred dollar bills. They went home fast

He's quite the humanitarian.

I'd count your silverware after he leave your house the next time!

It wasn't especially NICE of them, but it was, as far as I know,
perfectly legal. Going from that to petty theft is a bit of a leap.

Most auction goods are sold "as is". That's why you're supposed to inspect
before bidding.

Jeff Wisnia February 6th 07 07:04 PM

Safe - how to open?

Bill wrote:

still in business, maybe they would have a record of the combination?

BTW, if I found anything in the safe, I would return it to the old man.

I'll second that thought.

Last year I bought a barely used Lincoln automobile from a repair shop
owner who was selling it for a customer of his, the son of an elderly
gentleman who'd bought it new and passed away shortly thereafter.

When I was putting my car papers in the glove compartment I discovered
two things "hiding" inside it:

A "Happy Birthday Dad" greeting card with an unused local restaurant
gift certificate in it.

A little leather bag containing a very beautiful and old looking rosary.

I called the place which sold the car to me and got the name and address
of the son, then mailed the items back to him that same day.

The next day we got a call from his wife thanking us and reminding us
that both she and her husband had worked for our family business some 15
years ago, then later they got hitched. (Small world, huh?)

The happy ending was that the wife looked around and found the keyless
door entry combination for the car and told it to me so I didn't have to
pay a dealer to fiddle a new one into the car's computer.

An Irish-Catholic guy I knew about 40 years ago said that his family
called stuff you found and kept which you knew belonged to someone else
"The Devil's host" and that hanging onto it would bring you continuous
bad luck. I choose to believe he knew what he was saying. G

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Dean February 6th 07 09:01 PM

Safe - how to open?

On Feb 6, 9:31 am, Charlie Morgan wrote:
On 6 Feb 2007 07:06:27 -0800, "Dean" wrote:

[...]

It would be a rarity to find a safe (other than a toy) that could be
opened by cutting off external hinges. There are hardened steel pins
in the edge of the door that slip into holes in the jam on the hinge
side when the door is closed.

CWM- Hide quoted text -

Oh well,,a career as a safecracker is'nt in My future anyway.It was
just a thought. I spose there was a hint to the quality of the safe
judging by the weight,,but,,how can I know the weight is'nt from
something IN it?On the other hand it was a roundabout way to get to
the info You gave..I'm sure the OP is glad for it..
Dean

krw February 6th 07 11:35 PM

Safe - how to open?

In article ,
says...
"MiamiCuse" wrote in
oups.com:

I just took possession of a property and there is a safe in one of the
closets. The safe is about 36"x36"x24" deep. The previous owner was
an elderly man and no longer remember the combinations. Me and a
buddy tried to move it and it would not move an inch...we think it is
at least 500 pounds in weight.

Is there a way to get it opened? If I call a locksmith and they come
open it does it mean they will break it in order to get it open or is
there a way to open it and reset the combinations so it may be used?

Thanks,

MC

contact the safe manufacturer with the model and serial number,perhaps fax
a copy of the property's title. They may have the combo on file.

there may still be valuables inside it.

Call Giraldo Rivera.

--
Keith

February 7th 07 12:19 AM

Safe - how to open?

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Larry Bud" wrote in message
oups.com...
Speaking of old folks saving stuff: A friend of mine used to be into
buying
and refinishing antique furniture. One day, he and his wife found a
really
nice dresser at an estate auction. They bought it for $150.00. As they
were
something
metallic sliding around. They stood it up again, pulled out the drawers,
and
under the bottom drawer was a lightweight metal box containing $4,000.00
in
hundred dollar bills. They went home fast

He's quite the humanitarian.

I'd count your silverware after he leave your house the next time!

You would've walked that metal box back to the auctioneer?

No, I would have returned to the executor of the estate, or the attorney of
record. Around here at least, many auctioneers ain't real honest. Yeah,
keeping it was probably technically legal (although there is case law saying
nobody should benefit from an obvious mistake), but it would have left me
feeling scummy.

aem sends...

Bill February 7th 07 01:45 AM

Safe - how to open?

wrote:

I just took possession of a property and there is a safe in one of the
closets. The safe is about 36"x36"x24" deep. The previous owner was
an elderly man and no longer remember the combinations. Me and a
buddy tried to move it and it would not move an inch...we think it is
at least 500 pounds in weight.

Is there a way to get it opened? If I call a locksmith and they come
open it does it mean they will break it in order to get it open or is
there a way to open it and reset the combinations so it may be used?

Contact savta.org and see if there's a good vault tech nearby. If so,
call and describe the safe. Is there a handle separate from the dial?
If so, try putting pressure on the handle (i.e. try to open the door)
while turning the dial. See if pressure on the handle makes the dial
harder to turn (even very slightly). If that is the case, the safe
can probably be manipulated, or opened without damage. Depending on
the mechanism, he might have to drill it, and that will cost plenty.
Good luck.

Bob M. February 7th 07 02:01 AM

Safe - how to open?

MiamiCuse wrote:
I just took possession of a property and there is a safe in one of the
closets. The safe is about 36"x36"x24" deep. The previous owner was
an elderly man and no longer remember the combinations. Me and a
buddy tried to move it and it would not move an inch...we think it is
at least 500 pounds in weight.

Call a locksmith, or go to them with pictures. They may be able to get into
it by drilling a small hole and looking around with a thing called a
borescope. They then plug the hole and the safe is still, well, safe.

Did you try the more obvious numbers, like 10-20-30, 20-40-60, the man's
birthday, or his anniversary date? Or perhaps it was never changed from the
somewhat standard 50-25-50 default combination.

If you're in a big city, you might find a locksmith that has a device that
clamps onto the dial and spins it continuously for many hours until it finds
the right numbers. Such tools are expensive and not very common.

Bob M. February 7th 07 02:06 AM

Safe - how to open?

Jim Yanik wrote:
"MiamiCuse" wrote in
oups.com:

Is there a way to get it opened? If I call a locksmith and they come
open it does it mean they will break it in order to get it open or is
there a way to open it and reset the combinations so it may be used?

Thanks,

MC

contact the safe manufacturer with the model and serial
number,perhaps fax a copy of the property's title. They may have the
combo on file.

Are you serious? Never mind the logistical problems of keeping such
records, this is a huge security breach, and any company that does this
doesn't deserve to be in business.

West Alarm February 7th 07 02:26 AM

Safe - how to open?

On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 14:04:50 -0500, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Bill wrote:

[...]

The happy ending of this story for me was reassurance that good people
are still doing good things. Those items, while useless to you,
probably mean the world to the surviving family.

You probably didn't mean to..... but you touched my heart with that.
I'll bet a year's salary that you did the same to the family. Thanks.

mm February 7th 07 04:24 AM

Safe - how to open?

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 01:45:38 GMT, (Bill)
wrote:

Contact savta.org and see if there's a good vault tech nearby. If so,
call and describe the safe. Is there a handle separate from the dial?
If so, try putting pressure on the handle (i.e. try to open the door)
while turning the dial. See if pressure on the handle makes the dial
harder to turn (even very slightly).

You know, I've seen things likethat in movies, but a few years ago I
had a toy safe, about 5 inches x 4 x 4, all plastic with a clear
plastic inner door so one could see the gears, with notches in them
that had to line up to open the safe, and even this toy was better
designed than one would be that was harder to turn when a handle was
turned. There was also no way to listen with a stethoscope. I forget
how they did this, and for some reason I don't know where the toy safe
is, but its design was simple but silent.

DanG February 7th 07 11:42 AM

Safe - how to open?

I bet you can't even get a wooden 1 3/4" door out of its opening
by removing the hinge pins unless you hurt the door or the jamb,
unless it was hung very sloppily..

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"Dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

February 7th 07 01:15 PM

Safe - how to open?

Very interesting question.

You buy a house.
A day, or a week, or a year later
you find a stash of cash in the attic.

I would presume that the cash,
( and anything else you find )
is LEGALLY yours.

Any exceptions ?

rj

jd February 7th 07 01:46 PM

Safe - how to open?

call the comapny that made the safe. They will tell you what information to
collect from the case, and can then give you a combination. If that doesn't
work, call alocksmith. A good one should be able to get it open without
damaging it. When you speak to them on the phone, give them as much info
about hte safea s you can.....

"Jack" wrote in message
ups.com...

Jim Yanik February 7th 07 07:50 PM

Safe - how to open?

"Bob M." wrote in
:

Jim Yanik wrote:
"MiamiCuse" wrote in
oups.com:

Is there a way to get it opened? If I call a locksmith and they come
open it does it mean they will break it in order to get it open or is
there a way to open it and reset the combinations so it may be used?

Thanks,

MC

contact the safe manufacturer with the model and serial
number,perhaps fax a copy of the property's title. They may have the
combo on file.

Are you serious? Never mind the logistical problems of keeping such
records,

These days,keeping such records is easy,with modern computers.

this is a huge security breach,

Doubtful criminals would contact the manufacturer(and fax necessary
documents),who might have a record of the theft and notify police.

and any company that does this
doesn't deserve to be in business.

At least the company could recommend locksmiths who have the capability to
open it.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Dean February 7th 07 11:17 PM

Safe - how to open?

On Feb 7, 5:42 am, "DanG" wrote:
I bet you can't even get a wooden 1 3/4" door out of its opening
by removing the hinge pins unless you hurt the door or the jamb,
unless it was hung very sloppily..

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

Even well built doors ca'nt be too tight between the jamb or they
wo'nt open without scraping,,but,,far as I can see,it's all moot..
Dean

Bob M. February 8th 07 01:09 AM

Safe - how to open?

Jim Yanik wrote:

contact the safe manufacturer with the model and serial
number,perhaps fax a copy of the property's title. They may have
the combo on file.

Are you serious? Never mind the logistical problems of keeping such
records,

These days,keeping such records is easy,with modern computers.

...that can be hacked into, stolen or otherwise compromised. Still a very bad
idea.

At least the company could recommend locksmiths who have the
capability to open it.

No they wouldn't because they wouldn't know. If they gave you an answer at
all, it would be "Look in the yellow pages under Locksmiths".